The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Student Loans

tds

Hey all,

Just wanted to see what everyone's experiences are with acquiring and repaying student loans. Positive or negative experience? Also, looking for specific thoughts on getting a student loan from the government versus a bank.

Thanks a lot!

Yeah, max out those government loans if you can/need. They give a 4 month grace period after graduation to begin making payments. And if you can't obtain work in your field, you can appeal to them. From my experience, if the circumstances call for it, they will waive that month's payment. Which basically saves you roughly $500.

Bank student lines of credit usually work on a prime +%4 repayment option. Not bad, but the government loans are better.

Get the government loans and grants first. I would do a combo of BC government+Federal government loans. Also try getting some scholarships. There are many unclaimed scholarships that go to waste. Some don't even require grades. Like I got one for being tall lol... Also the government/provincial government student loans waive a certain amount depending on what you're studying.

My brother did the max for loans. Was about $65k all told back then. Which would have been OK if he became a doctor or lawyer. But instead he got a degree in history. If your gonna go big like that you need a career that pays at the end He finished paying them back but it delayed his buying a home by about a decade.

Moral of the story: Dont go to Uni and study what interests you, like my brother did. FInd a Career that interests you and study what will get you there.(no unreasonable careers like rock star or player agent)

I know for a fact that some people get student loans they dont need, their parents are paying their way, and invest the money to earn 8 to 12% interest while paying nothing on the loan while in school. Pay back the principle amount right away and keep 4 years worth of interest. $10K to $15k if done right. It does happen.

Get the government loans and grants first. I would do a combo of BC government+Federal government loans. Also try getting some scholarships. There are many unclaimed scholarships that go to waste. Some don't even require grades. Like I got one for being tall lol... Also the government/provincial government student loans waive a certain amount depending on what you're studying.

Are there still separate provincial and federal loans? I know when I started school (1999) they were separate, but my loans have since all been consolidated into a federal program.

But yes, apply for the government loans first. They are interest free while you are in school, often come with a grant portion you don't have to repay, sometimes come with partial forgiveness when it comes time to repay, and are fairly easy to get payments deferred if you can't find work right away.

Hey all,

Just wanted to see what everyone's experiences are with acquiring and repaying student loans. Positive or negative experience? Also, looking for specific thoughts on getting a student loan from the government versus a bank.

Thanks a lot!

Student loans from government is always the best route.

Hard to argue against 0%.

However, it can potentially be as devastating as giving a kid a credit card who doesn't know how to use it responsibly. If you do go the student loan route, make sure you make a proper budget and eat / live like you're poor until it is paid off.

That said, all isn't lost if you can't find a job post-grad. You get a few months where you don't have to pay and you can extend that if your unemployment goes on longer than you expected.

To be perfectly honest with you, student loans overpaid me for my education and I simply invested that extra money after the market crash. I was able to essentially pay off my student loans with my student loans. Not sure the market conditions are as much of a home run anymore, but food for thought.

I did 4 years of max loans and have saved a lot through scholarships, bursaries, and loan reduction programs. I've been graduated for a few years but because I did a part-time master's program, I am still eligible for the Repayment Assistance Program (4 month terms). Hopefully I can get it for another 4 months as I continue to save up so I can put down a huge sum on my principle and start whittling away at it.

Work/save up first. Then go back to school. NEVER fall into debt if you can avoid it. It's a perpetual cycle and once it starts...it's hard to stop.

It all depends on whether or not the student knows what he/she is doing.

If that person wants to major in Interpretive Dancing and then a Masters in Basket Weaving, meanwhile spending all remaining amount of money for clubbing, drinking, etc. Then that's a completely stupid idea.

On the other hand, if that student decided to get a student loan to major in Bio-Chem and then work towards a MD, then the borrowing is worth it.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of people who does the former... and they're usually the ones complaining about repaying their student loans.

Don't forget to apply for scholarships and bursaries. Also, if you are going to SFU, there is a work-study program (I believe UBC and UVic also have this program). Undergrad students who have student loans or are in other forms of financial need can qualify. Once you qualify, there is a list of research centres at the university that you can apply to.

You don't get paid a ton, but the hours are always very convenient. You get t. I've hired work-study students before and basically let them set their own hours. There are more details but I won't drone on unless anyone is interested.

^ but if you're at UVIC don't bank on a work study job. there isn't many offered, and as he said, the pay ain't that good. i think it's $10/hour here, but if you've got a good employer, they can maybe double your hours or exaggerate them so it works out to be $15-20

Yeah, pay for the WS program is like 10.25 an hour at SFU. Benefit is that you go to class and then go to work without any additional commute. Also, if you impress the people you are working for, the may later want to hire you on as a research assistant. Pay is much much better.

ya, i had a couple work study jobs i was able to do all from home, with doubled 'hours' so i basically made $20. was good stuff, and i could work as often as i wanted in any given week over the span of a semester, so long as the goal was reached

My brother did the max for loans. Was about $65k all told back then. Which would have been OK if he became a doctor or lawyer. But instead he got a degree in history. If your gonna go big like that you need a career that pays at the end He finished paying them back but it delayed his buying a home by about a decade.

Moral of the story: Dont go to Uni and study what interests you, like my brother did. FInd a Career that interests you and study what will get you there.(no unreasonable careers like rock star or player agent)

I know for a fact that some people get student loans they dont need, their parents are paying their way, and invest the money to earn 8 to 12% interest while paying nothing on the loan while in school. Pay back the principle amount right away and keep 4 years worth of interest. $10K to $15k if done right. It does happen.

8-12%?

where are they investing lol

I want in

Archived