307 replies to this topic

#1 CanucksCaptain

CanucksCaptain

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

I'm not bring up another Hodgson VS Kassian thread.  We should be already past that. 

What would you guys do with Kassian this off season?  I would probably just offer him a 2 year contract worth $1million/year.

He's 23 now and I think for the next 2 years if he's still putting up similar stats he should be considerred a AHLer/4th liner.

With Jensen now emerging, if Kassian still doesn't pan out like we hope, this could be his last contract with the canucks.

#2 Ronalds.Kenins41

Ronalds.Kenins41

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

POPULAR

I'm not bring up another Hodgson VS Kassian thread.  We should be already past that. 

What would you guys do with Kassian this off season?  I would probably just offer him a 2 year contract worth $1million/year.

He's 23 now and I think for the next 2 years if he's still putting up similar stats he should be considerred a AHLer/4th liner.

With Jensen now emerging, if Kassian still doesn't pan out like we hope, this could be his last contract with the canucks.

:picard: He's played 6 games and kassian is still young. 

b4cl1j.jpg

Thanks to GoaltenderInterference for the awesome RK sig

#3 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

Sign him to a 1-2 year deal, if he isn't showing much more by the end of that... Don't keep him.
Posted Image

#4 Easton76

Easton76

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

Hope we can lock him down for 2-3 years at a low cap hit. 

My guess is we sign him for 2 years/2 mill per

Shanahan went soft on Keith.

Keith is a pretty ugly dude after all....

#5 xereau

xereau

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

POPULAR

Less than 1mill, 1 year.  tell him to get his sh*t together.

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man:
brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the

timid join him; for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."

Mark Twain

#6 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,143 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

POPULAR

With the cap going up he'll get 1.5-2 mil most likely. Hopefully we can lock him up for 3 years.

He's still got alot of work to do with his game, but it's slowly coming around. When he gets away from all the dumb stuff, he's actually a pretty skilled player. That no look pass he made on Schroeder's goal was Sedin-like. He just needs to bring that sort of thing consistently. He's still only 23 though, so he's got time.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#7 Western Red

Western Red

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

POPULAR

2 yrs, 2.5 mil / 1.25 per annum. He'll be past the party boy stage by then. It really is crucial, the term. Screw the dollars. We'll get another year of transition Kass and then a year of PWF Kass. Gotta do it. 2 yr deal.

#8 Western Red

Western Red

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:16 PM

With the cap going up he'll get 1.5-2 mil most likely. Hopefully we can lock him up for 3 years.

He's still got alot of work to do with his game, but it's slowly coming around. When he gets away from all the dumb stuff, he's actually a pretty skilled player. That no look pass he made on Schroeder's goal was Sedin-like. He just needs to bring that sort of thing consistently. He's still only 23 though, so he's got time.

This is more thought out and articulate, as usual from Deniro.

#9 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

Hope we can get him to sign for 3 years at 1.7.

Then he'll be a sleeper 30 goal scorer in another year.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#10 I.Am.Ironman

I.Am.Ironman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

I think Torts is actually the right coach for him, I'd like to keep him around for another 3 years @ 1.5-1.75mill per season. I think he shows some promise and in my opinion he looks better this year than last. If he keeps improving then he is worth keeping around

#11 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,130 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

POPULAR

Now that's just some seriously limited logic.  

It's like;  sees a shiny new toy, discards the one in hand.

There are 12 forwards spots - and until Jensen and then Kassian were added to the organization, RW was easily the Canucks shallowest position.

Burrows is a natural LW moved to RW to play with the Sedins.

Hansen is an elite 3rd line RW.

The Canucks have built some depth down the middle, but one Jensen (who happens to be a left handed shot who plays RW for the most part) is not going to make Kassian expendable.

2 years x 1 million and potentially his last contract - that's both bleak and a pretty dramatic underplaying of what Kassian is showing he can bring.  People may wish to dwell on numbers out of context, but 11 goals and 19 points is not bad at all playing 12 third line minutes a night, on a depleted Canucks roster, getting 43% offensive zone starts.

He'll be an important part of the team moving forward.  What he's done with Booth and rotating depth centers is not really that indicative of what he's capable of imo.

#12 VanCityCanuck14

VanCityCanuck14

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

POPULAR

30 goals? stay off the boards and do your job Gillis

#13 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

POPULAR

The way Kassian is playing right now, he's not a just a sleeper. He's unconscious, and possibly not breathing.

Edited by Mustapha, 18 March 2014 - 05:44 PM.

bobssig.jpg

this is why i shaked my head at those Canuck fans that cheered on the fLames to make the playoffs... that fan base is stupid as f thats the fan base that still to this day are convinced Alberts faked going down for a call on hit on that McGrattan hit that sent him to retirement. 

I hated that fan base since 04 and will forever hate them. they have such a huge inferiority complex about our team and the city/province. I hope we dispose of these losers quickly. 

#14 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

Lock him up for 4 years at 1.2

This is the first year I've seen glimpses of real skill from Kassian.

If he continues developing, he'll cost too much to re-sign in 2 years.

If he stays where he is, skill wise then were still paying him a decent 3rd line salary.

#15 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 19,130 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:52 PM

POPULAR

30 goals? stay off the boards and do your job Gillis

Really?

Kesler has scored 22 goals this season.   .89 gp60 minutes.

Kassian is scoring at a rate of .85 gp60. 

The difference?

Kesler is playing top 6 minutes and is one a 27 goal / 82 game pace.

Kassian is playing 12 minutes a night in a makeshift bottom six and is on a 15 goal / 82 game pace.

Don't be surprised if/when you eat these words.

#16 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

Kassian has had the luxury of playing with an experienced, $4.5 m salaried third liner in Booth.Ironic in that two of Gillis' largest boneheaded moves play together on the third line.
Be interesting to see Hodgson and Kassian play in the same game this coming Sunday.
With Jensen's emergence,Hansen's solid,two-way game and Burr's revival it seems Kassian may be plying 4th line minutes next year.

#17 Drewismyname

Drewismyname

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

POPULAR

I'd go longer term at between 2 and 4 million

The guy has size and skill, that package that is rare. He could become a 70 point producer during this at a bargain and worste case scenario, he's comparable to the booth contract (but not really).

CDCFL - Arizona Coyotes

#18 asian player

asian player

Yakuza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

not sure about the numbers but NTC for sure
Posted Image
Mad props to Justdean10 for sig

#19 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

He could become a 70 point producer during this

Lucic in his best year only put up 60 points. I think with Kassian we are looking at a guy in the 40-50 point range.

Reason being, he is an inconsistent player, and he will most likely miss 5-10 games per season due to suspension.

He is now a repeat offender in the league, don't be surprised if his next suspension is 10 games.

Edited by Nucks-4-Life, 18 March 2014 - 06:01 PM.

#20 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

We seem invested in him. He should get a fair deal all around. Could take a gamble and sign him to a 4 year deal at a lower price point.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#21 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,437 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

4 yrs @ 2M per. 

#22 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

Kassian has had the luxury of playing with an experienced, $4.5 m salaried third liner in Booth.Ironic in that two of Gillis' largest boneheaded moves play together on the third line.
Be interesting to see Hodgson and Kassian play in the same game this coming Sunday.
With Jensen's emergence,Hansen's solid,two-way game and Burr's revival it seems Kassian may be plying 4th line minutes next year.

Did you miss out that Burrows and Jensen have been playing together? Burrows is a natural LW not a RW

Edited by WonderTwinPowers, 18 March 2014 - 06:08 PM.

#23 Hectic

Hectic

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

The way Kassian is playing right now, he's not a just a sleeper. He's unconscious, and possibly not breathing.

This is one of the funniest things I've ever read on this forum.

#24 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

4 yrs @ 2M per. 

That's a lot of money for kass, yes he's looked good on a few played but even our 4th line players look good on the odd play.

I wouldn't sign him more then two years because he could still be a bust, 1.5 tops. One mil one year would be safe.

#25 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

Did you miss out that Burrows and Jensen have been playing together? Burrows is a natural LW not a RW

With six games experience,I don't think Jensen is quite ready to usurp Daniel on the team's top line.

#26 messier's_elbow

messier's_elbow

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

4 yrs @ 2M per.

If Canucks brass can pull that off, do it asap. I said, as did some others, that Kassian was still a year away at the beginning of the season. Next year he will probably get 20 goals. 24 year old 20 goal power forwards are gold. Gillis should have put him in the minors at the beginning for more seasoning but he had to save face i guess.

#27 Lulover88

Lulover88

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

Hope we can lock him down for 2-3 years at a low cap hit. 

My guess is we sign him for 2 years/2 mill per

if you can make that deal it may look like a steal ...   these big guys take a little longer and if he has the right line mates he may really blossom

#28 Zuongo

Zuongo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

This made my day. Thank you. haha

Canuck

#29 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

You can see his game coming around. His skill set is there. He has a great shot and a very high hockey IQ. He just needs some confidence and better line mates. He is a beast when he gets in that mode. He could be Bertuzzi or Isbister... You just have to wait and see I guess.
I Love Lamp...

#30 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,437 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

That's a lot of money for kass, yes he's looked good on a few played but even our 4th line players look good on the odd play.

I wouldn't sign him more then two years because he could still be a bust, 1.5 tops. One mil one year would be safe.

'Bust' - CDC's favourite word. 

I can't name a single one of our 1st/2nd round prospects other than Horvat that haven't been called busts since we got them. 

Yup even Hodgson was labeled a bust before he played a single game in the NHL. 

Kassian is playing in the NHL and still developing, he's not a bust. 

Edited by playboi19, 18 March 2014 - 06:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.