The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hate Monger Fred Phelps is Dead. Rejoice

Warhippy

The time to protest Fred Phelps was when he was alive.

+1

People tend to get overly defensive when someone they love/respect/admire (or even dislikes, but has family ties to) dies. So attacking them personally at a moment like this is not profitable. It won't cause anyone with an ounce of respect for Fred Phelps to suddenly see it your way. Whereas, on the other hand, it could very likely move factions to "stand up" for him, "protect his honor", and many other sentimental responses that could make him a martyr for his cause.

On the other hand, I prefer to take the high road, and I appeal to all reasonable people to do the same. Rather than attacking hate with hate, kill with kindness. Rather than celebrate his death, celebrate things that are good and upbuilding - and hopefully help the aforementioned to see a better way.

Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. For, Whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech."

- 1 Peter 3:8-10

I was being pretty clear what I thought about your post, I was not trying to be passive. If you think I'm "outraged", you're reading the tone of my post incorrectly. I think you're point was wrong. I don't need to be outraged to explain why I feel that way.

If you don't like how I responded to your initial post, could you please clarify what you meant when you said that this man's family members had done nothing to bring on such backlash? I don't really understand how I am 're-imagining' a few sentences when I referred to a direct quote you made...

As for the bolded part, if you're referring to my accusation that you were presenting your opinion as if it were fact (the universal truth bit), you're fine to be annoyed with that. I didn't need to say that.

Fluff post.

I think back to your many gems in the past. Hyper critical posts, full of angst anger and snide comments.

And I read your posts in this thread.

And I laugh

Pointless ad hominem post.

Are you aware of what sort of awful things this group does?

They celebrate death...is it not befitting to, in turn, do the same here?

You won't miss him because you likely know little of him or the horrible things these people do. How crazy they are in those actions...as close to zombies as I think we'll ever see. They're frightening in their mission...absolute looney tunes.

If this person behaved like a compassionate, empathetic human being then perhaps we could also extend those same feelings. But someone so devoid of those things generates feelings of relief in knowing he's gone.

How do you think grieving young widows of soldiers or mothers of slain gay children felt as he used those deaths for "opportunity" to sell his crap? Intruded upon them?

Lowlife scum. And yes, it is something to celebrate that another human being may die with some form of dignity in his absence.

If you're going to do the same thing they did, then how are you any better? No one says you need to miss him. I sure don't. However, you of all people on these forums should know better than to lower yourself to the pond scum that was the WBC and Phelps.

What people seem to also be missing is the "extremes" in the US, that clearly is affecting us here even in Canada. One extreme needn't beget another. People act like this church that cries out for attention deserves just that. They're another lesson to be learned from, and the worst way to learn it is to be as extreme and full of hatred like them.

No one is saying he was a good man, no one here is condoning his actions and we can all agree the world is a better place without him.

Let's criticize WBC, let's discuss constructive ways to confront homophobia, let his death open useful discussions instead of simply cheering on his death as if it's a public lynch if this is such an important issue to you. I find it off putting the same way I felt strange when I saw the parade after Osama died (and he was a terrible person too). It's barbaric

Precisely.
We live in an age where extremes get so much needless attention and time.
I get it that this guy and his church were full of hatred, but that's not a new concept. This won't be the last one either.
I just won't be as ridiculous as they are.
I work with a marketing firm, and behaviour analysis is a major component of that. Sociology, I suppose, even though I don't want to give much credence to this "art". Still, the predictability of behaviour is shockingly consistent.
Just because the knee jerk option is there doesn't mean we need to take it.

Fluff post.

If you're going to do the same thing they did, then how are you any better? No one says you need to miss him. I sure don't. However, you of all people on these forums should know better than to lower yourself to the pond scum that was the WBC and Phelps.

What people seem to also be missing is the "extremes" in the US, that clearly is affecting us here even in Canada. One extreme needn't beget another. People act like this church that cries out for attention deserves just that. They're another lesson to be learned from, and the worst way to learn it is to be as extreme and full of hatred like them.

You don't get to be as antagonistic and asinine as you've been in your posts and then attempt to take a moral high ground because it differs from the majority.

You'll get called out on it.

Fluff post.

I haven't "done the same"? Actually, I think I'll leave it at that.

I haven't "done the same"?

I don't think anyone here has showed remorse or sadness or sympathy at all. You're missing the point due to your outrage about the guy and his church. This is what I'm talking about though when I detail the extremes that people are going by. Just because the guy and his church were scum and spewed the hatred and bigotry they did doesn't necessitate you to do the same. Yeah, I get it, you're not in front of someone's house, or at their funeral, but your comments celebrating the guy's death and defense of people who are so overboard on their anger that they talk about urinating on his grave are no less disturbing. It's amazing that the more calm and moderate approach is like, not even an option for you here.

Let me get this straight, you're rejoicing the death of a guy who was hated because his group rejoiced in the deaths of others. Makes sense.

I am always amused by how alike those that feel strongest about the WBC are to them, albeit just in the opposite direction. Needlessly extreme.

Wait, so I can't be happy that a person who caused such strife to others who didn't deserve it and was just a terrible human being in general is finally off this planet?

Wait, so I can't be happy that a person who caused such strife to others who didn't deserve it and was just a terrible human being in general is finally off this planet?

You can, but he's saying you're sort of a hypocrite for it. At long as you're happy with it, no big deal, eh?

More along the lines of not celebrating someone's death, as much as he was disliked.

I certainly won't miss him, but I'm also, not even symbolically, going to lower myself to talking about peeing on his grave, or protesting his funeral, as I've seen here and throughout other forums I go to.

So often other non-religious people make themselves out to be the smarter ones, only to turn around and do the same thing. Yet it's the religious people here showing more logic and not going off the deep end. It's like I'm on another planet.

I don't think anyone here has showed remorse or sadness or sympathy at all. You're missing the point due to your outrage about the guy and his church. This is what I'm talking about though when I detail the extremes that people are going by. Just because the guy and his church were scum and spewed the hatred and bigotry they did doesn't necessitate you to do the same. Yeah, I get it, you're not in front of someone's house, or at their funeral, but your comments celebrating the guy's death and defense of people who are so overboard on their anger that they talk about urinating on his grave are no less disturbing. It's amazing that the more calm and moderate approach is like, not even an option for you here.

Find one instance of a user in this thread talking about urinating on someone's grave. You're the only one talking about it.

You are exaggerating the extent to which people have been "celebrating" his death, at least in this thread. If people are talking about urinating on graves on some other forum, go respond on that forum where the comment would be relevant.

Find one instance of a user in this thread talking about urinating on someone's grave. You're the only one talking about it.

You are exaggerating the extent to which people have been "celebrating" his death, at least in this thread. If people are talking about urinating on graves on some other forum, go respond on that forum where the comment would be relevant.

Try and follow along with the topic:

Aleksandr Pistoletov, on 20 Mar 2014 - 3:47 PM, said:

More along the lines of not celebrating someone's death, as much as he was disliked. I certainly won't miss him, but I'm also, not even symbolically, going to lower myself to talking about peeing on his grave, or protesting his funeral, as I've seen here and throughout other forums I go to.

So often other non-religious people make themselves out to be the smarter ones, only to turn around and do the same thing. Yet it's the religious people here showing more logic and not going off the deep end. It's like I'm on another planet.

I'd also refrain from trying to tell others how to post or telling them to post elsewhere, that's not even remotely within your scope of membership here.

(Wow this new quote system is annoying)

Our feelings are different. And there are reasons for that.

Perhaps you accept this intolerance, bullying and hatred. I do not. So don't expect me to react as you would. I feel strongly about it. I've seen gay people suffer through this sort of message. And it's not ok by me.

I think you're missing the point. What works for you doesn't necessarily work for others.

I will reserve the sympathy for gay kids who've been beat up because idiots like this exist. Where is the compassion and empathy for them?

I won't "lead the way" or by example....intolerance to me deserves no respect or understanding. Empathy or sadness. May his horrible intolerance RIP. Doesn't make you any better because you chose to ignore it.

A man who breeds hatred and intolerance does not get my sympathies. It's not "the same". I am not spreading a message of hatred. And I'm celebrating a partial death of that message that was sent via this man.

Our feelings are different. And there are reasons for that.

Perhaps you accept this intolerance, bullying and hatred. I do not. So don't expect me to react as you would. I feel strongly about it. I've seen gay people suffer through this sort of message. And it's not ok by me.

I think you're missing the point. What works for you doesn't necessarily work for others.

I will reserve the sympathy for gay kids who've been beat up because idiots like this exist. Where is the compassion and empathy for them?

I won't "lead the way" or by example....intolerance to me deserves no respect or understanding. Empathy or sadness. May his horrible intolerance RIP.

I'm not telling anyone how to behave, I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of their actions. If being a hypocrite is a-ok with these people, so be it. (of course, they're going to look foolish pretending their actions are some type of moral high ground or that they're any better)

It is certainly disturbing to me though the extremes that has encompassed this discussion. It's still a shock, even though I've accepted your position here, that you've allowed yourself to be swallowed by it.

I'm not telling anyone how to behave, I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of their actions. If being a hypocrite is a-ok with these people, so be it. (of course, they're going to look foolish pretending their actions are some type of moral high ground or that they're any better)

It is certainly disturbing to me though the extremes that has encompassed this discussion.

What extremes exactly?

Nobody has said anything even remotely extreme. We have all actually been on par with saying the world is a better place for it on this forum. You're REALLY stretching for an argument right now.

As for any where else, understand that this guy picketed the frigging funeral of a 9 year old girl after dying from untreatable cancer because her uncle was a well known gay rights activist.

When you're that kind of human being that would seriously use a deceased 9 year old girl in an attempt to further your cause....you're going to be met by extreme responses. Of course people will celebrate the death of such a horrible human being.

But on this forum, there has been little to nothing that has been extreme.

It is certainly disturbing to me though the extremes that has encompassed this discussion. It's still a shock, even though I've accepted your position here, that you've allowed yourself to be swallowed by it.

Rather dramatic.

And how about instead of simply name calling from your pedestal whether it be in shock or not, you address some of the points being made? You've failed to do so and your opinion is invalid until you do (back it up with some argument).

What on Earth do I have to be remorseful for?

And I don't "show" sympathy unless I feel sympathetic. I don't. Sad. I don't.

Celebrating is the wrong word. We're expressing relief.

+1

People tend to get overly defensive when someone they love/respect/admire (or even dislikes, but has family ties to) dies. So attacking them personally at a moment like this is not profitable. It won't cause anyone with an ounce of respect for Fred Phelps to suddenly see it your way. Whereas, on the other hand, it could very likely move factions to "stand up" for him, "protect his honor", and many other sentimental responses that could make him a martyr for his cause.

On the other hand, I prefer to take the high road, and I appeal to all reasonable people to do the same. Rather than attacking hate with hate, kill with kindness. Rather than celebrate his death, celebrate things that are good and upbuilding - and hopefully help the aforementioned to see a better way.

Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. For, Whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech."

- 1 Peter 3:8-10

One of the best posts in a long time.

Feel like I might want to move out to Calgary just to hang out.

However, then I'd have to listen to you complain about why Man of Steel sucked.

One of the best posts in a long time.

Feel like I might want to move out to Calgary just to hang out.

However, then I'd have to listen to you complain about why Man of Steel sucked.

Also, rather than dwell on that negative, I prefer to discuss the positives of better movies...

...Pick one...ANY one...

Archived