The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Paul Stastny

Lol. Sorry Boose, but Burrows and Clarkson aren't even remotely comparable. Clarkson is on a wayyy worser contract and his history proves will never be worth it. Burrows on the other hand can be worth it with his history. There's just so many things to talk about on this lol.

Not to mention Burrows' leadership and two-way play is >>> Clarkson's.

I'm not debating the Clarkson contract isn't worse.

I was just illustrating the point that those players are just good enough to warrant keeping around.

Fair enough. But from a neutral point, Burrows is a 50-60 point player, penalty killer, fan-fav, heart and soul guy, agitator, clutch, scorer, dependable in most game situations. $4.5 mill for that isn't too bad. Just having this bad year and showed right before he got injured again he still has it. I haven't watched Clarkson enough honestly to make a fair evaluation but $5.25 mill for a 20-30 point 3rd liner just isn't right. I think he has a much higher chance of being bought-out because of this but won't this year. Probably give a few more years and if Clarkson is still playing like he is, likely be out on the block as a cap dump and if that doesn't work bought out. ?

Burrows is like Clarkson, not remotely good enough to justify his contract but still brings enough to the team to not warrant a buyout/waivers

If Toronto had an amnesty buyout, I'd hope they would buy out Clarkson.

But we don't so we just have to hope for a better year from him. Contract aside, he's one of my favourite Leafs but that contract is crippling.

Fair enough. But from a neutral point, Burrows is a 50-60 point player, penalty killer, fan-fav, heart and soul guy, agitator, clutch, scorer, dependable in most game situations. $4.5 mill for that isn't too bad. Just having this bad year and showed right before he got injured again he still has it. I haven't watched Clarkson enough honestly to make a fair evaluation but $5.25 mill for a 20-30 point 3rd liner just isn't right. I think he has a much higher chance of being bought-out because of this but won't this year. Probably give a few more years and if Clarkson is still playing like he is, likely be out on the block as a cap dump and if that doesn't work bought out. ?

Burrows had his best years when the Sedins were still top players in the league.

Clarkson had his best years playing with Ilya Kovalchuck/Zach Parise

Remarkably similar players.

Similar production rates, too.

Burrows:

2011-12: 28 Goals

2012-13: 13 Goals

2013-14: 5 Goals

Clarkson:

2011-12: 30 Goals

2012-13: 15 Goals

2013-14: 4 Goals.

Burrows is a lot stronger in his own end, Clarkson is a more physical player.

My absolute disgust with Burrows as a player aside, I'd prefer to have him and his deal over Clarkson now.

I've definitely thought of this route. New GM; asks Kesler to suspend his desire to move at least until the trade deadline.

Sedin-Sedin-Burr

Jensen-Stastny-Kesler

Higgins-Horvat-Hansen

Matthias-Richardson-Kassian

Hamhuis-Garrison

Edler-Tanev

Dillon-Bieksa (see if we can work Stanton + for Dillon)

On this market someone will give Stastny $8m, with the cap going up. You just know they will. I'm looking at you, Toronto Maple Leafs.

I for one would love to sign Stastny - I'd even pay the $8m per season on a 5 year deal - as long as we trade Kesler for a winger for Stastny and either a good pick or a D prospect.

Stastny is a decent player, certainly one of the top UFA's available.

But he will want 7 years on the FA market, and will certainly get it, along with a salary of at least $6M, and likely more.

Plus, he'll want to play for a contender, so little reason to come to Vancouver.

Stastny is a decent player, certainly one of the top UFA's available.

But he will want 7 years on the FA market, and will certainly get it, along with a salary of at least $6M, and likely more.

Plus, he'll want to play for a contender, so little reason to come to Vancouver.

You could always try and sell him on the fact we're keeping Kesler and loading up. If things don't turn out great by the deadline. Trade Kesler for straight futures and we still got a second line centre. Then when Bo Starts pushing for statsnys job, trade PS.

Gives us a chance to turn things around with a big name coming in. If it works great, if not, at least you gave everything you had to the current core before blowing it up.

I've definitely thought of this route. New GM; asks Kesler to suspend his desire to move at least until the trade deadline.

Sedin-Sedin-Burr

Jensen-Stastny-Kesler

Higgins-Horvat-Hansen

Matthias-Richardson-Kassian

Hamhuis-Garrison

Edler-Tanev

Dillon-Bieksa (see if we can work Stanton + for Dillon)

Buying out Booth saves Aquallinni money, and opens up a roster spot for a young player.

Believe me, Booth is gone

Booth is owed 4.75 million this year. Meaning a buyout pays him roughly 3.1-3.2 million for the next two years. 6.2-ish million is cheaper then 4.75 million? I'm no mathematician but from experience 6.2 is bigger then 4.7.

Other then Archie who do we need to free up a roster spot for? Shinkaruk plays AHL/WHL, don't know if he's eligible for Utica, next year due to his injury/surgery (?) more then likely stunting his development.

Doubt we see Horvat despite everyone wanting him up, including myself. Everyone else likely see's Utica as well.

Not a lot of NHL ready players in our prospects pool, especially players management and coaching staff want to play a 4th line role in.

My Line up with the current roster healthy is:

D. Sedin H. Sedin Jensen

Higgins Kesler Santo

Burrows Matthais Kassian

Sestito/Booth* Richardson Hansen

Schroeder

* depends on whether or not we need grit.

I'm thinking Shredder and Dalpe are gone next year with the acquisition of Matthais and the strong likely hood of Horvat and Gaunce being better potential third liners and Richardson pretty much being a lock for 4th line with Lain being a potentially better 4th line centre then them.

Who knows for sure other then Gillis and the Aqualini's. But this is just how I see it.

Booth is owed 4.75 million this year. Meaning a buyout pays him roughly 3.1-3.2 million for the next two years. 6.2-ish million is cheaper then 4.75 million? I'm no mathematician but from experience 6.2 is bigger then 4.7.

Other then Archie who do we need to free up a roster spot for? Shinkaruk plays AHL/WHL, don't know if he's eligible for Utica, next year due to his injury/surgery (?) more then likely stunting his development.

Doubt we see Horvat despite everyone wanting him up, including myself. Everyone else likely see's Utica as well.

Not a lot of NHL ready players in our prospects pool, especially players management and coaching staff want to play a 4th line role in.

My Line up with the current roster healthy is:

D. Sedin H. Sedin Jensen

Higgins Kesler Santo

Burrows Matthais Kassian

Sestito/Booth* Richardson Hansen

Schroeder

* depends on whether or not we need grit.

I'm thinking Shredder and Dalpe are gone next year with the acquisition of Matthais and the strong likely hood of Horvat and Gaunce being better potential third liners and Richardson pretty much being a lock for 4th line with Lain being a potentially better 4th line centre then them.

Who knows for sure other then Gillis and the Aqualini's. But this is just how I see it.

Buyouts are 2/3rds the remaining money on his contract spread over twice the time frame. His contract calls for $4.2 mill for 1 more year.

Buyout is therefore $1.4 mill for each of 2 more years, totalling $2.8.

Whether it actually saves money depends on whether we replace his salary on the team, which is likely.

I'd rather get Statsny at $7 - $8 mil a year than go our usual route and get more crap for a lot cheaper. I can't even imagine what jagged rock MG will come up with next year. He is one of the only decent players available. Those that don't pay won't play (in the playoffs).

Archived