The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Botchford] If Evander Kane is available the Canucks need to go all-in for him

via provies Thursday April 10

"if the jets are really going to trade evander kane, and the odds are still long, the canucks have to be all-in. And not the ray shero "sutter and a couple of sh*tty picks for kesler all-in."

"the canucks need to be we're building a package around Bo Horvat our only blue chip prospect all-in"

very interesting to hear botch highly support trading for kane even though it would cost us bo. would you guys be okay will trading horvat+ for evander kane.

should note that while E. Kane is not having the best of seasons this year he is still a guy who many think will turn into a consistent 40-50 goal scorer in his prime and that he really wants to play for vancouver

I'm against trading Horvat. Period.

Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Tanev and Lack are going to be important pieces for the franchise going forward.

Obviously, to get a player of Kane's caliber, we will need to give up some good assets but I don't want to trade away our prospects. It doesn't look like the Canucks have much chance to win now anyways, why not let our prospects develop together and rebuild through the draft?

I know Kane isn't "old" by any means, but he seems redundant in our system. We have guys who can shoot the puck (Kesler, Higgins, Daniel) but we don't have enough elite playmakers to get them the puck. As mentioned by other posters, our team did best when Henrik was on a tear, making great passes everywhere to everyone in December. That's what we need. Playmakers, not more shooters or grinders.

That being said, I'd love to have a guy like Kane on the Canucks. But at the price that he will go for, I don't think the Canucks should take the risk. We'd be better off going for a playmaking centre/winger instead.

Terrible idea.

What's with these media doofs. They trash on our lack of prospects for years and then push us to trade them away.

No we should not put a package with Horvat for Kane. Yes, I am aware that's what it would take but we'd be better off without Kane for that kind of price.

I'm against trading Horvat. Period.

Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Tanev and Lack are going to be important pieces for the franchise going forward.

Obviously, to get a player of Kane's caliber, we will need to give up some good assets but I don't want to trade away our prospects. It doesn't look like the Canucks have much chance to win now anyways, why not let our prospects develop together and rebuild through the draft?

I know Kane isn't "old" by any means, but he seems redundant in our system. We have guys who can shoot the puck (Kesler, Higgins, Daniel) but we don't have enough elite playmakers to get them the puck. As mentioned by other posters, our team did best when Henrik was on a tear, making great passes everywhere to everyone in December. That's what we need. Playmakers, not more shooters or grinders.

That being said, I'd love to have a guy like Kane on the Canucks. But at the price that he will go for, I don't think the Canucks should take the risk. We'd be better off going for a playmaking centre/winger instead.

Precisely. Kane is your typical tunnel-vision, fast winger. He picks up speed through the neutral zone and does one of either two things:

1. Tries to drive to the net and usually loses the puck into the corner.

2. Wrister from the wing that never hits the net.

We have guys who can shoot the puck besides Kesler?

Daniel Sedin? That's funny.

I wouldn't give away Horvat though. Probably Hansen, Gaunce, and Stanton does it. All three can be moved.

Kane would ignite the team.

I just don't see Kane fitting with the other guys in the room. All the players on the Canucks are professionals on, and off the ice. Kane is a punk who likes to get into fights at nightclubs and not paying his tabs at restaurants. Oh and hits on underage girls.

We have guys who can shoot the puck besides Kesler?

Daniel Sedin? That's funny.

I wouldn't give away Horvat though. Probably Hansen, Gaunce, and Stanton does it. All three can be moved.

Kane would ignite the team.

I'd do our 1st this year, Booth, and Stanton.

Hansen is useless and Gaunce is going to be a lot better than he's being given credit for.

Kane Kesler Kassian

Daniel Henrik Jensen

Burrows Horvat Matthias

Higgins Santorelli Richardson

Hansen

Gaunce, Cassels, Shinkaruk, Fox all in the oven to replace Burrows/Daniel/Hansen/Higgins on the depth chart

I'm not sure what Winnipeg would even be aiming for in a trade for Kane.

They're pretty decent on the backend and have Schiefele already. I'd think they'd be looking for a player similar in Kane's age. Someone like Ryan, Schenn or Skinner as parts of a bigger trade.

And there's the rub. They don't need to load up on futures. They need to make the playoffs so any trade they make should be aimed at improving their roster for next season.

I'm not sure what Winnipeg would even be aiming for in a trade for Kane.

They're pretty decent on the backend and have Schiefele already. I'd think they'd be looking for a player similar in Kane's age. Someone like Ryan, Schenn or Skinner as parts of a bigger trade.

And there's the rub. They don't need to load up on futures. They need to make the playoffs so any trade they make should be aimed at improving their roster for next season.

Yea I don't think Kane would like it here anyway.

Send him to Cali or NY

Damn Schenn is from Sask, that is a good one for one

So Botchford writes an article about his opinion and suddenly it's a rumor. Not even an original opinion either, this has been suggested by many for a very long time.

It's not even a rumor, it's just his opinion. It's not a very good opinion, but I guess that's expected with Botchford.

Archived