The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Botchford] If Evander Kane is available the Canucks need to go all-in for him

Isn't he a center? Or are you projecting he'll end up as a winger in the NHL as Shinkaruk has been doing? If so, he would be a bit redundant for them perhaps and they do have another left wing prospect in Lowry in the AHL currently but he plays a different style at 6'5".

Similar style. But I suppose Shink has more upside and I guess they'll need a LW if Kane departs.

If we can manage to acquire Kane in a Phaneuf-style trade i'd be ecstatic. Holy crap was Calgary ripped off, even if Phaneuf is the most overrated player in the league. I think that's the kind of trade that could theoretically happen for us and it will be a great start for Linden's time here.

If we manage to acquire Kane in a Kessel-style trade i'd be annoyed. There's no reason for us to have to pull that off with Winnipeg.

However, I still see Kane heading south to help a Bettman project team. Perhaps Florida.

However, I still see Kane heading south to help a Bettman project team. Perhaps Florida.

I have said for a while: Kane + Pavelec to NYI for Strome + Pelech (or similar prospect)

Jets are set down the middle for the future with Scheifele and Strome, plus they dump Pavelec's contract and pick up another solid future top 4 piece.

Islanders replace Vanek with a younger locked up Kane, who is still young enough that he fits into they're longish term plan to get back into contention, while still providing a spark with Taveres and Okposo. Pavelec can be sold as an upgrade on Nabokov, and they can go out and get another 1A/1B goalie to split time with him.

Good lord we are not trading lack Wow kane is a cancer il pass on him id rather keep our top ten draft pic and horvat is gonna win selke in 5-6 yrs

Kane is a cancer based on what? A twitter photo?

As soon as the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg I assumed Kane was done with that franchise, but I've been surprised at how long he's stayed there.

They don't want Tanev (plenty of right side D already with Byfuglien, Bogosian and Trouba at the top end, Postma and Redmond at the bottom end) or our cap dumps in Booth, and we aren't likely moving Horvat, but I could see Shinkaruk going back as a similar player. That doesn't really address current needs for them though though, and of course we'd have to add, but maybe something like this to start the conversation:

To Van

E. Kane

Montoya (rights, pending UFA)

To Win

Shinkaruk

Markstrom

Hansen

But then we'll see what we actually have in Markstrom through the end of the season and management will have to decide who's worth keeping around and who's worth pursuing.

I would do that deal.

I'd even be down to part with our first rounder this year if it lands us kane, but not on top of that deal. Kane was the 4th overall pick in 2009.

Shinkaruk Markstrom 1st for Kane could be an offer worth entertaining for them. Its a tough call though on our side. Thats 3 assets we might be better off with in the long run, but all 3 are question marks. The upside is Kane is that sure bet and helps us immediatley and only 22.

Lets play out some scenarios

Shinkaruk goes on to be a 75-80 point player, Markstrom turns into a legit #1 and we draft another player that goes on to be a top six forward..... very bad trade but also unlikely all 3 reach top potential

Shink goes on to be a decent 2nd liner(50 point player), Markstrom turns into a decent #1, first rounder busts or turns into a 3rd liner.... a little more likely that it plays out similar to this but maybe its the first rounder that turns out decent and shink busts, who knows. Should this happen, If kane is playing on our top line for years, i think we still make out pretty good. Legit top line talent is legit top line talent.

Its good to have high hopes for your players but you take 3 top prospects from any team and its unlikely that all 3 reach their ceiling.

Looking at it that way, i think a deal like this could make sense. Basically in simple terms i break it down like this

if 1 goes on to be a star and the other turn out just ok but kane goes on to play on our top line for years.. I guess its a bad trade but you still got Kane

If 2 go on to be stars, that sucks but you still got a star in return. you didnt come out with nothing

if 3 go on to be stars, fire linden, but you still got kane haha

If all 3 make the nhl but are just pretty good not great.. we win the trade and that is most likely what is to happen.

I would do that deal.

I'd even be down to part with our first rounder this year if it lands us kane, but not on top of that deal. Kane was the 4th overall pick in 2009.

Shinkaruk Markstrom 1st for Kane could be an offer worth entertaining for them. Its a tough call though on our side. Thats 3 assets we might be better off with in the long run, but all 3 are question marks. The upside is Kane is that sure bet and helps us immediatley and only 22.

Shinkaruk goes on to be a 75-80 point player, Markstrom turns into a legit #1 and we draft another player that goes on to be a top six forward..... very bad trade but also unlikely all 3 reach top potential

Shink goes on to be a decent 2nd liner(50 point player), Markstrom turns into a decent #1, first rounder busts or turns into a 3rd liner.... a little more likely that it plays out similar to this but maybe its the first rounder that turns out decent and shink busts, who knows. Should this happen, If kane is playing on our top line for years, i think we still make out pretty good. Legit top line talent is legit top line talent.

Its good to have high hopes for your players but you take 3 top prospects from any team and its unlikely that all 3 reach their ceiling.

Looking at it that way, i think a deal like this could make sense. Basically in simple terms i break it down like this

if 1 goes on to be a star and the other turn out just ok but kane goes on to play on our top line for years.. I guess its a bad trade but you still got Kane

If 2 go on to be stars, that sucks but you still got a star in return. you didnt come out with nothing

if 3 go on to be stars, fire linden, but you still got kane haha

If all 3 make the nhl but are just pretty good not great.. we win the trade and that is most likely what is to happen.

I would do that deal.

Lots of options on the scenarios - from the Kane side as well (his attitude could be proven worse here or he could straighten out and be a model player).

But I'd be hesitant to include our 1st this year (or next) and I've already noted I'd be hesitant to include Horvat, who was picked in a very high spot in a deep draft and has become a benchmark for the Schneider trade. The choices we get with that 1st are a great option for the new management group to put some of their stamp on the team rather than sticking with a previous GMs draft picks.

I'd love to keep Shinkaruk too as I think he has a bright future, but if we get Kane I don't see as much opportunity for him until we finally see the Sedins (or at least Daniel) move on.

Canucks are going to need a guy like Bo a few years down the road if Kesler isn't on the team.

Kane is good but I doubt he is going to be a huge difference maker anyways. Add the apparent attitude problems as well.

Kane is really good,but seems to make more headlines off the ice than on....i don't see it happening.

I'm still hoping Van drops to a #6 pic and sending whoever that is to the Jets for Kane is a no go IMO. To many personel accounts of his attitude. Two coaches Noel and Maurice have both benched the guy. Why Van would throw take that chance makes it a non starter. Linden is to much the team man than take a risk like that. You have to wonder about anyone who would sit there in Vegas and thumb through a role of dough in front of a camera.

Lots of options on the scenarios - from the Kane side as well (his attitude could be proven worse here or he could straighten out and be a model player).

But I'd be hesitant to include our 1st this year (or next) and I've already noted I'd be hesitant to include Horvat, who was picked in a very high spot in a deep draft and has become a benchmark for the Schneider trade. The choices we get with that 1st are a great option for the new management group to put some of their stamp on the team rather than sticking with a previous GMs draft picks.

I'd love to keep Shinkaruk too as I think he has a bright future, but if we get Kane I don't see as much opportunity for him until we finally see the Sedins (or at least Daniel) move on.

Fair enough and yeah im not sure i would do the deal i put forth either. I was just trying to up your deal a bit as i think if evander kane goes on the market some one may offer better... I tried to break it down a bit and see if the initial overpayment that even myself typing it is saying "this is the worst trade ever" is really all that bad.

There's some scenarios around evander for sure too but i think he's well on his way to becoming a ppg player. I think the attitude problems are a little blown out of proportion. People are quick to hear something and paint a picture of what a 22yr old kid is and will be for the rest of his life. I think coming to a team like vancouver could really help him along the right path. Walking into a room with guys like Bieksa Hamhuis Hank Danny ect will have an effect on anyone. You really see what it means to be a pro around that kind of leadership. Kassian is a completely different case but just listening to him talk and seeing how far hes come on the ice can probably be largely credited to that leadership. where would he be had he played this season in buffalo with a bunch of kids his age? I think a part of it too is just growing up. Im 28 years old and i have sure come a long way since i was 22.

all in all yeah that is a bit much to give up for kane but if it did happen i wouldnt care how the other guys careers turned out and go buy the first kane jersey.

Kane Kesler Kassian could be one hell of a line

On the one hand, this may be the time to "buy low", and get in on a player like Kane before he (hopefully) recovers his effectiveness.

On the other hand, the timing is off for us. We don't really have the type of trading chips they would be looking for in such a deal. They don't need D - they need top-6 scorers...the same thing we need.

The only way I could see this happening is if we pulled a 3-way deal, with Kesler going to a contending team, and the asset we get in return being the centerpiece going to Winnipeg. (Example: Anaheim trades us Etem or Silferberg and a 1st for Kes, and we flip those to Winnipeg, or package Etem/Silferberg with something else.)

Archived