The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Botchford] If Evander Kane is available the Canucks need to go all-in for him

Fair enough and yeah im not sure i would do the deal i put forth either. I was just trying to up your deal a bit as i think if evander kane goes on the market some one may offer better... I tried to break it down a bit and see if the initial overpayment that even myself typing it is saying "this is the worst trade ever" is really all that bad.

There's some scenarios around evander for sure too but i think he's well on his way to becoming a ppg player. I think the attitude problems are a little blown out of proportion. People are quick to hear something and paint a picture of what a 22yr old kid is and will be for the rest of his life. I think coming to a team like vancouver could really help him along the right path. Walking into a room with guys like Bieksa Hamhuis Hank Danny ect will have an effect on anyone. You really see what it means to be a pro around that kind of leadership. Kassian is a completely different case but just listening to him talk and seeing how far hes come on the ice can probably be largely credited to that leadership. where would he be had he played this season in buffalo with a bunch of kids his age? I think a part of it too is just growing up. Im 28 years old and i have sure come a long way since i was 22.

all in all yeah that is a bit much to give up for kane but if it did happen i wouldnt care how the other guys careers turned out and go buy the first kane jersey.

Kane Kesler Kassian could be one hell of a line

Oh absolutely - and Kane has no control over where he goes either so it doesn't bode well we could get him without overpayment.

I agree on the attitude problems as well but I know if I were trading for him I'd want a pretty good account of what's been happening and be able to speak to Kane directly if possible before finalizing it. I've said numerous times Vancouver's either the best or the worst place for him to straighten that part out, and the addition of Linden could well command a lot of respect from someone like Kane (depending on who he was a fan of as a kid).

D Chris Tanev, RW Niklas Jensen and our 2014 1st (8th) for LW Evander Kane.

I think that would do it. Asking for more would be an overpayment. They are getting a top 4 defenseman, a top 6 prospect and a top 10 pick. Quite a bit

Um no

No

No Kane

Kesler for Etem and otts 1st

We have say and 8 and 9 pick.

Pick them

Next year trade Those two players and our 1st with Tanev or corrado for Mcdavid

Sedin Sedin Jensen

Shinkaruk Mcdavid Kassian

Horvat Etem Matthias

McDavid would cost our team Kassian, Horvat, Jensen, our pick in 2014 (hopefully Ehlers) and our first in 2015. I would much rather super tank to get him in the draft than trade 2/3rds of our youth for him.

Don't trade Horvat even for Kane under our current situation.

To quote Porkins… "Stay on target. Stay on target."

Disregard what happened to him because the job got done.

Actually that was Gold five in a Y-Wing

Porkins said "NFGGGAAAAAARRRRGH!!" and exploded.

I feel better...

And I absolutely agree, Horvat is untouchable.

I'm still hoping Van drops to a #6 pic and sending whoever that is to the Jets for Kane is a no go IMO. To many personel accounts of his attitude. Two coaches Noel and Maurice have both benched the guy. Why Van would throw take that chance makes it a non starter. Linden is to much the team man than take a risk like that. You have to wonder about anyone who would sit there in Vegas and thumb through a role of dough in front of a camera.

The more dirt you can dig up on Kane the better.

Drive his value to Winnipeg down and get him for cheaper.

I could "sit there in Vegas and thumb through a roll of dough in front of a camera" and I'm 3 times his age! Yeah baby! Party time!

(In other words, who among us wouldn't have partied it up and made some mistakes as a teenager/20 year-old with all that money and athleticism going for him?)

I don't think we should give up Horvat or Gaunce or Shinkaruk and I want to keep our other top prospects and draft picks.

The veterans with NTCs will probably not waive to go to Winnipeg and I don't want to give up Lack or Markstrom either.

I just don't know what Winnipeg needs (or will take) for Kane.

With a better understanding of what they want, perhaps we could propose something out of the rest of our team but I doubt it.

If we're trading Horvat, you don't go after chump change in Evander freakin Kane! You go after a real stud

To quote Elliotte Friedman:

"Here is the list of current NHL players who scored 30 goals in a season at age 20: Alexander Ovechkin, Steven Stamkos, Ryan Smyth, Jaromir Jagr, Jonathan Toews, Evgeni Malkin, Anze Kopitar, Patrice Bergeron, Marian Gaborik.

And Evander Kane."

Although Kane's stock has fallen a little, make no mistake - he's a 'real stud'. The only reason going after him may be a bad move is we have so few chips to play.

If Kane is put on the block, I see the Islanders going after him - HARD.

Actually, what something like this makes me think of is how people gave Gillis so little credit for getting Ehrhoff. "They had to move him, it was a cap dump to get Heatley!" Well, of course it was, but to think 28 other teams couldn't have offered a better package than White and Rahimi is a little simplistic. I understand there would have been teams with cap issues themselves that couldn't have taken Ehrhoff and Lukowich back, but there had to be at least several teams that would have loved to improve their D and try and out bid us.

Here's where it ties into Kane. What if we can somehow get in early and make a deal for Kane for a reasonable amount? Maybe Linden and Gilman (from Winnipeg) can convince them of a friends and family discount of some sort (or call it a pay now price) so that Winnipeg can avoid dealing with more issues around Kane.

There are deals all the time that people wonder why they couldn't have gotten more or how someone signed so and so when the player would have been a good fit elsewhere. Not saying this will get an easy passover, but wouldn't hurt to find out.

Actually, what something like this makes me think of is how people gave Gillis so little credit for getting Ehrhoff. "They had to move him, it was a cap dump to get Heatley!" Well, of course it was, but to think 28 other teams couldn't have offered a better package than White and Rahimi is a little simplistic. I understand there would have been teams with cap issues themselves that couldn't have taken Ehrhoff and Lukowich back, but there had to be at least several teams that would have loved to improve their D and try and out bid us.

Here's where it ties into Kane. What if we can somehow get in early and make a deal for Kane for a reasonable amount? Maybe Linden and Gilman (from Winnipeg) can convince them of a friends and family discount of some sort (or call it a pay now price) so that Winnipeg can avoid dealing with more issues around Kane.

There are deals all the time that people wonder why they couldn't have gotten more or how someone signed so and so when the player would have been a good fit elsewhere. Not saying this will get an easy passover, but wouldn't hurt to find out.

God that would be sweet lol

I still think Winnipeg would have to be drunk or something though. You're talking about a 22yr old that scored 30 goals at age 20. There would have to be some serious behind the scenes issues we don't know about for them to want to wash their hands clean of him that quickly. If it's actually that bad then we probably don't want him.

Also It's not like he's going to bolt to Russia or anything. Quite a few years before he's unrestricted. He has to play for Winnipeg if he wants to play in the nhl. If he demands a trade we might be in luck, but even then they can still patiently field offers and tell him to shut up and play hockey until they get one.

I just don't see Kane fitting with the other guys in the room. All the players on the Canucks are professionals on, and off the ice. Kane is a punk who likes to get into fights at nightclubs and not paying his tabs at restaurants. Oh and hits on underage girls.

Kane wants out of the Peg and with a superstar ego he's making it very hard for their GM to keep him. Our team is not very well respected around the league but we have some of the classiest players in the game who would whip Kane right into shape. I also believe Kane would WANT to be here and play for his hometown team.

Kane is a cancer based on what? A twitter photo?

As soon as the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg I assumed Kane was done with that franchise, but I've been surprised at how long he's stayed there.

Twitter is all most buffoons need to form an opinion.

Horvat would be an acceptable trade piece in a deal to get a player like Shea Weber.

Shea Weber 3 years ago, sure.

Horvat "will be" (grain of salt) great for 12 years. Weber won't have that long.

And who is to say Horvat won't score 30 next year? Unlikely? Probably. But it's possible. Maybe Him and Shinkaruk both join that 20g by 20 club.

Trading away assets in what could at best be a lateral move is a bad idea. "Edler for Kane" I'd do in a heartbeat. Not a lateral move. But Winnipeg wouldn't go for that, no way.

Archived