Photo
- - - - -

Who do you choose with the 1st overall pick Reinhart of Ekblad

Discussion

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: Wh

Who do you choose

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Outsiders

Outsiders

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:17 PM

Sam Reinhart

- B.C Boy (Not that it matters, but they do well for us) 

- Replace's Henrik Sedin

- Great passer see's the ice really well

- Not small 6'1 180ish 

- Shoots right (All our centers and Prospects are lefty execpt of Kesler,Cassels, and Schroeder)

- In prime can get you at least 70-80 points( maybe more depending on who he plays with)

Aaron Ekblad

- Big 6'4 205ish (good for western conference)

- Shoots right (which is nice along with Hutton,Tanev,Corrado and Subban)

- Shot is really good

- can get you 40 points (maybe more when in his prime)

- solid defender

- could be a Norris Trophy Winner

- can give you big mins (25+)

- Can run the PP

Im honestly drawn between the 2. People say you need a #1 D-man to win the cup (which is being talked about in another thread). Or that you need a true #1 center, i feel Horvat is a good 2nd line center, but #1 center may be a stretch.

I'd like to here what people on CDC think.

I honestly think Linden will try and get this pick. He said that you have just after the draft to renew the season tickets. I personally think he will try and make a splash.

Thoughts? I don't know who i'd take.

Edited by Outsiders, 03 May 2014 - 05:02 PM.

bhzi9k.jpg

Hunter Shinkaruk - Eddie Lack - Jake Virtanen 

Your next Generation of Canucks 

Credit To -Vintage Canuck-

#2 Disaronno

Disaronno

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:22 PM

Dmen of Ekblad's calibre do not come around often and are nearly impossible to acquire through trade.

Young top 6 forwards on the other hand seem to be traded constantly.

homeland_zpscbb5fad2.jpg

||||| 1190007304.png CDC STHS GM ||||| small.png CDCFL GM ||||| 

#3 Anti-Bettman

Anti-Bettman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:22 PM

It's honestly a really tough choice. I think it will come down to their 1-on-1 interviews with the clubs (some of the intangibles that may set them apart) and possibly the combine tests. With saying that though, I would be thrilled with either one of those two if we somehow found ourselves selecting 1st overall. 

* 1st in Canucks Fantasy Hockey 2011/12*

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,756 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:23 PM

Ekblad.

Best player available right?

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#5 Time Lord

Time Lord

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

The forward has always been better than the defenseman.

Crosby>J. Johnson

Toews> E. Johnson

Tavares> Hedman

Stamkos> Doughty

Hall> Gudbranson

MacKinnon> Jones (most likely)

Aside form Yakupov/Murray, the forward has been the better selection to make.

We finished near the bottom of the league in goals for. We finished around the middle in goals against. Why would we want a D-man?

Ekblad may have potential, but in lots of cases, defensemen haven't reached their potential. I would definitely rather have Reinhart who will be a 80-90 point franchise center, or at least a 60-70 point first line center. 

We need offense. If we somehow trade for the 1st overall pick, we should take Sam Reinhart.

71gzuv.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-                                          medium.png RGMG Sim                 

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff"

#6 DrChill

DrChill

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

Ekblad.

Best player available right?

If that is the case then him 100%

If we had the pick. Don't think that is likely, not sure anything Florida wants that we would be willing to trade for him and NTC waived is always an issue.

Anyone without a NTC that is worth anything should be off limits.

#7 Madness

Madness

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,974 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

Ekblad.

Go BPA.

Edited by Madness, 03 May 2014 - 02:56 PM.

We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes   || STL Blues EHL Roster ||

cookie.png

#8 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

Reinhart.  We have a strong enough D-Core (when they play up to par) to hold us over in my opinion.  However what we've seriously lacked is some offensive output up front. 

Since he's more of a playmaker I'd say put him with Kesler but two rightys :\ 

#9 CheddaBurger

CheddaBurger

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

Reinhart.  We have a strong enough D-Core (when they play up to par) to hold us over in my opinion.  However what we've seriously lacked is some offensive output up front. 

Since he's more of a playmaker I'd say put him with Kesler but two rightys :\ 

Ekblad would be new core. Trade away d-men that are unnecessary for forwards. Voila.

Forwards are easier to come by. Get a d thats top notch that every team needs and wants.

Edited by Motzaburger, 03 May 2014 - 03:55 PM.

connor_mcdavid_signature_erie_otters_by_

MADE BY ME

* DALLAS STARS * CDC ELITE LEAGUE

EDMONTON OILERS * CDCFL

#10 JohnScott

JohnScott

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

What about Bennett? How good is he projected to be? Franchise 1C? 70pt guy? 80pt guy?

wellwood-13-smaller_zpshh4cpbcp.png

#11 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,261 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

We're actually in better position than most people may think. We have a great relationship with Florida and rumour has it Tallon is drooling over Ehlers and is shopping the #1 pick. Plus we haven't had a defence prospect of Ekblad's calibre ever so he would be extremely tough to pass up on.

Edited by Pears, 03 May 2014 - 04:13 PM.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#12 Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Formerly Castiel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:18 PM

Ekblad or trade the 1st overall pick and Stanton to EDM for Perron and their 3rd overall pick. Draft either Reinhart or Bennett while ending up with Perron.

weber.gif

Weber=mods Zetterberg=me

#13 MRAY

MRAY

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

Ekblad or trade the 1st overall pick and Stanton to EDM for Perron and their 3rd overall pick. Draft either Reinhart or Bennett while ending up with Perron.

Good trade but we might have to add Shroeder and /or Hansen to this trade.

rs4tfs.jpg   

Another signature done by -Vintage Canuck-. Thank you sir!

#14 MRAY

MRAY

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

I'd take Ekblad because he's too simply good to pass up.

rs4tfs.jpg   

Another signature done by -Vintage Canuck-. Thank you sir!

#15 DontMessMe

DontMessMe

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:45 PM

Ekblad so the god damn Oilers wont get him :) 

#16 BureisBest

BureisBest

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

I voted for Ekblad.  It takes longer for d-men to mature in the show, but when he does, I think he will be a franchise player and one that is very hard to come by.  Reinhart is intelligent and poised, but I don't know if he will be a franchise player.

Posted Image

#17 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:46 AM

I like your thinking

#18 TheLiveWire

TheLiveWire

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:08 AM

What about Bennett? How good is he projected to be? Franchise 1C? 70pt guy? 80pt guy?

Him and Reinhart have completely different styles, but I think are pretty even. I see Reinhart's game being able to transition into the NHL immediately while Bennett is a 50/50 toss up. Honestly, I think they're still pretty even. Reinhart just fits our needs more. A forward who might be able to almost immediately jump crack the lineup in a potentially top 6 role, and if not top 9 who plays a heavy playmaking style similar to Henriks. That's exactly what we need And come 4 years, when Henrik steps down, we need someone who can almost immediately jump into his spot and try to fill the void while we still look for Daniels. 

21bj6s4.jpg

Credit to: Vintage Canuck

#19 sroutley

sroutley

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:29 AM

What I would like to see Sam Reinhart as he would be nice along with Horvat and Shinkaruk. Also if we keep our 6 pick get either Leon or Jake I see a great young group in a few years.

#20 sharnhayre

sharnhayre

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,743 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

To me.. it depends on my teams needs. Reinhart will turn into a #1 centre and Ekblad could turn into your franchise defenseman. Ekblad will take longer to show his prime, probably until hes 26-28 whereas a forward will show his upside a few years earlier. 

#21 N7Nucks

N7Nucks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,103 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:56 PM

To me.. it depends on my teams needs. Reinhart will turn into a #1 centre and Ekblad could turn into your franchise defenseman. Ekblad will take longer to show his prime, probably until hes 26-28 whereas a forward will show his upside a few years earlier. 

Ekblad is something of a freak of nature. I'd say he'll be able to slide in quickly just with his defensive play. Similar to Seth Jones. Not the same but similar.

#22 nuckster33

nuckster33

Comets Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:02 AM

The forward has always been better than the defenseman.

Crosby>J. Johnson
Toews> E. Johnson
Tavares> Hedman
Stamkos> Doughty
Hall> Gudbranson
MacKinnon> Jones (most likely)

Aside form Yakupov/Murray, the forward has been the better selection to make.

We finished near the bottom of the league in goals for. We finished around the middle in goals against. Why would we want a D-man?

Ekblad may have potential, but in lots of cases, defensemen haven't reached their potential. I would definitely rather have Reinhart who will be a 80-90 point franchise center, or at least a 60-70 point first line center. 

We need offense. If we somehow trade for the 1st overall pick, we should take Sam Reinhart.

well for the most part the forward was also considered the better prospect in all those drafts you mentioned

That's the difference this year, very even so its a hard call. I think the only one of the group you mentioned where was even any debate was McKinnon/Jones but even that was more media driven than anything, and the media likes to create a story of 'who goes at number 1'.

There was never any question the McKinnon's skill was beyond anyone else, it was more of Colorado was lacking a big young stud D and Jones dad played bball in Col, (I believe he may have been born there etc etc, hometown boy).

So I don't think your argument holds here, those cases don't really apply, apples and oranges.

Look at 1993, Daigle vs Pronger now that was a debate, but there just haven't been many situations like this, no clear cut number 1

And more importantly, generalizing that a forward has always been better is not a very strong argument simply because its a generalization, every year is different because the players are different, its based on individuals not history, history (Doughty and Stamkos for instance) have no bearing on how Ekblad or Reinhart will perform, they are two different players.

#23 nuckster33

nuckster33

Comets Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:07 AM

Exactly, and I do expect that this draft will see a number of surprises from the mid to later picks that could turn into stars.

Most scouts are saying while there isn't much 'elite' talent this year there is still alot of talent in the first round.

Ie it seems like the probability of the first rounders to making the NHL is actually quite high, but their ceilings are seen as lower.

I don't believe in ceilings personally, if a player has the ability to make it, it then comes down to drive, and you can't measure that. That is what separates an average/good player from the great, the drive to improve (Look at Kesler, he had the drive to improve until 2011, when he thought he arrived, then stopped working, and now he's a decent/average NHL'er at 2c, but not a GREAT one, then look at Jagr and Crosby and how they work to stay elite....)

There will be a guy like Ehlers, Nylander, Ritchie, Virtanen, Ho Sang, one of the Russians, etc who wasn't even a discussion of top 5 who will end up being a star, wait and see!

#24 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,204 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:49 AM

BE BAD FOR EKBLAD

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck The Sig lord

ezgif-714024022.gif

#25 Speed or Size

Speed or Size

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:29 AM

wouldn't be suprised if we make Tallon think we're going for Reinhart, and he does us another favour then we pick Ekblad.

#26 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:38 AM

one-does-not-simply-ohh-failed-meme-agai replace Henrik Sedin.

Edited by Mr.DirtyDangles, 11 June 2014 - 01:43 AM.

No1813_comets2_rr.jpgDec2814_jake_rr.jpg

As far as I am concerned, Juice is just "On loan" to the Ducks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.