The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I've got some friends that PC game so I'm thinking of taking the plunge into this world.  Thing is, I love couch gaming.  Before I drop the cash on a nice 4k 120hz TV, just curious if anyone has PC gamed with a 1080p TV?  Keep in mind this is mostly for low res games like world of warships

On 7/6/2020 at 1:58 PM, SILLY GOOSE said:

I've got some friends that PC game so I'm thinking of taking the plunge into this world.  Thing is, I love couch gaming.  Before I drop the cash on a nice 4k 120hz TV, just curious if anyone has PC gamed with a 1080p TV?  Keep in mind this is mostly for low res games like world of warships

A lot of PC gamers avoid using TVs, because there is noticeable visual lag when compared with monitors. A monitor will almost always respond faster to your computer's inputs. Of course this is only particularly important for the competitive side of gaming, so if you're more of a casual gamer or even simply play games that don't rely on instant reactions, it's probably a non-issue because the amount isn't hugely noticeable unless you're very used to a good monitor. I'm unaware of any issues aside from that lag, but I haven't really used a TV myself very much.

For instance, I would be willing to play a turn-based game like Civ V on a TV, but I would never play a game like Rocket League or League of Legends on a TV.

For the Steam Summer Sale I got Batman Arkham City, Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Doom, Limbo, and Titanfall 2. I'm thinking about adding one more thing to the collection from this sale before it ends, maybe a strategy game. I'm looking forward to having some new PC games to play as I'm probably going to let my WoW sub lapse until Shadowlands releases.

23 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

A lot of PC gamers avoid using TVs, because there is noticeable visual lag when compared with monitors. A monitor will almost always respond faster to your computer's inputs. Of course this is only particularly important for the competitive side of gaming, so if you're more of a casual gamer or even simply play games that don't rely on instant reactions, it's probably a non-issue because the amount isn't hugely noticeable unless you're very used to a good monitor. I'm unaware of any issues aside from that lag, but I haven't really used a TV myself very much.

For instance, I would be willing to play a turn-based game like Civ V on a TV, but I would never play a game like Rocket League or League of Legends on a TV.

36 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Thanks for the info.  I've been doing some research on tvs too. I know some of the top ones have variable refresh rate which should function just like a monitor?  

One game is like to try is baldeurs gate- should be fine on a 1080p TV?  

2 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Thanks for the info.  I've been doing some research on tvs too. I know some of the top ones have variable refresh rate which should function just like a monitor?  

One game is like to try is baldeurs gate- should be fine on a 1080p TV?  

I don't know the game well, but my brief research makes me think it would probably be fine.

Well Ive decided to take the plunge into PC gaming.  Funny thing is, Id still like to use a controller as much as possible.  Was researching controller set ups/compatibility on Reddit for World of Warships and people were just ripping on console players who like using a controller lol

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Well Ive decided to take the plunge into PC gaming.  Funny thing is, Id still like to use a controller as much as possible.  Was researching controller set ups/compatibility on Reddit for World of Warships and people were just ripping on console players who like using a controller lol

https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-plus/

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 1:58 PM, SILLY GOOSE said:

been pc gaming from my couch on a tv for a couple of years. Haven't run into problems yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Requested a new computer through my work so hopefully it is approved (should be). Ryzen 5 3600X (I liked the 3700 RGB but minimal performance difference didn't make sense to spend the extra hundred and change), Radeon 5700 XT, 32GB RAM, Cool Master Masterbox 500 TUF edition. An entire box less than $2000. Now I'm pumped for MS Flight Simulator but I need to pick up some flight handles.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

On 9/1/2020 at 11:09 AM, Baer. said:

Crusader Kings 3 released just now. About to play this....so hyped

7 hours ago, Baer. said:

Yes but it's more about bloodlines and nobility rather than total warfare

Game is money. I've never been one for games like Civ or like this. Just never been my thing. But CK3 is amazing.

• 2 weeks later...