The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our lineup now that Vey has accepted QO

Beastmode33

Now that Linden Vey has officially accepted his Qualifying Offer, this is how our team looks:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Radim Vrbata ($5.000m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Zack Kassian ($1.750m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Linden Vey ($0.735m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)
Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($2.000m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) / Yannick Weber ($0.850m)
Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.000m)
Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)
BUYOUTS
David Booth ($0.000m)
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,993,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster) $2,006,667 <<EDIT: MISSED TOTAL CAP SPACE DURING COPY PASTE

Discussion Points:

1) Where does this roster rank in the League, Western Conference, and Pacific Division?

2) We have 3 goalies and a full roster. Do you think we keep all 3? How do you see our roster changing before opening night?

3) Do we lack the youth we were promised to be injected in this lineup?

Feel free to discuss other topics I may have missed.

That's the way I see the lineup unless one or more of the young guys really surprise during training camp and earn a spot. I would prefer that the young guys stay in junior or in the AHL for at least they year.

I still believe that lineup can compete for a playoff spot. The really big question mark is whether or not Miller can be good enough to carry the team some nights.

1) Where does this roster rank in the League, Western Conference, and Pacific Division?

I think we're a lock for 10-9 but can probably slip up to even 7th depending on the chemistry of our roster and if/when they manage to get on a hotstreak.

2) We have 3 goalies and a full roster. Do you think we keep all 3? How do you see our roster changing before opening night?

I think both Markstrom is gone by next trade deadline and Lack by the offseason following that.

I don't think we lack the youth but we have no first line calibre players in the system. That could pose a big problem in as soon as two years time when the Sedins can no longer handle the gruelling type of play they require to fend off defenders. We have plenty of youth waiting to invigorate our depth, but nothing to replace 2nd and 3rd overall players.

That's the way I see the lineup unless one or more of the young guys really surprise during training camp and earn a spot. I would prefer that the young guys stay in junior or in the AHL for at least they year.

I still believe that lineup can compete for a playoff spot. The really big question mark is whether or not Miller can be good enough to carry the team some nights.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to have the likes of Jensen, Corrado, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Fox playing in Utica, finally we will have some call ups to fill top 6, top 4 d, roles that we have not been able to fill for years. They can also build some chemistry down there which will help us in a few years when they move into the lineup permanently.

I still think Benning will be picking up another D from boston, and/or might pull off some sort of hockey trade for a forward to make this lineup better.

Shawn Matthias is not going to be on the 4th line.

He REQUESTED a trade out of Florida because he was unhappy with his playing time.

This thread is less about the individual lines and more about the overall team. Lines change throughout the year and regardless of some rumour you heard that Mathias requested a trade, he could very well end up on the 4th line. Benning and Linden want a 4th line thats as good as a 3rd line so we can roll all 4...

He REQUESTED a trade out of Florida because he was unhappy with his playing time.

People on this board have come up with this fable that Matthias is a bum and is a fringe nhler capable of being the fourth line.

My opinion on the depth chart

Hank

Dank

Vrbata

Burrows

Kassian

Bonino

Higgins

Matthias

Vey

Richardson

Dorsett

Hansen

If Jensen makes the team he would have to be top 6 putting hi. Above Higgins, same with Shink, Horvat would have to clear Matthias.

You're assuming the 4th line racks up 5-10 minutes a game. We could very well roll a line. 3 a and 3b. And a huge question mark on our 2nd line. We may have three 3rd lines.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to have the likes of Jensen, Corrado, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Fox playing in Utica, finally we will have some call ups to fill top 6, top 4 d, roles that we have not been able to fill for years. They can also build some chemistry down there which will help us in a few years when they move into the lineup permanently.

I still think Benning will be picking up another D from boston, and/or might pull off some sort of hockey trade for a forward to make this lineup better.

^^^this, and to add to that, once we send markstrom down or trade, it looks like we could have about 3m in cap space. Not bad to have some room when looking at trades mid season.

You've said that before but that was not the reason he requested a trade...

"Matthias has requested a trade for awhile, says you earn ice time in VAN but in fla. They gave it to players." -Harvey Fialkov

You're assuming the 4th line racks up 5-10 minutes a game. We could very well roll a line. 3 a and 3b. And a huge question mark on our 2nd line. We may have three 3rd lines.

With our bottom 6 depth now, I definitely see the 4th line averaging 10 minutes a game, maybe more.

However, if it starts getting higher it just takes away time from the top.

^^^this, and to add to that, once we send markstrom down or trade, it looks like we could have about 3m in cap space. Not bad to have some room when looking at trades mid season.

Personally I would keep markstrom and trade Lack. I think camp will give us a clearer picture of the progress hes made since coming here, I don't think last year was a fair assessment due to Torts use of him, kinda just threw him in at the end of the season when the whole team had given up.

Lack also has more value and seems to be a bit of a waste behind Miller for three years, whereas I think it's the right amount of time to bring Markstrom along as a back up.

But I wouldn't be sad if it was Markstrom who got the boot.

Personally I would keep markstrom and trade Lack. I think camp will give us a clearer picture of the progress hes made since coming here, I don't think last year was a fair assessment due to Torts use of him, kinda just threw him in at the end of the season when the whole team had given up.

Lack also has more value and seems to be a bit of a waste behind Miller for three years, whereas I think it's the right amount of time to bring Markstrom along as a back up.

But I wouldn't be sad if it was Markstrom who got the boot.

It really doesn't matter to me which one it is. That said I have way more confidence in lack than in Markstrome. Traing camp and preseason will tell a lot

Now that Linden Vey has officially accepted his Qualifying Offer, this is how our team looks:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Radim Vrbata ($5.000m)

Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Zack Kassian ($1.750m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Linden Vey ($0.735m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)

Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($2.000m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) / Yannick Weber ($0.850m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /

GOALTENDERS

Ryan Miller ($6.000m)

Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

David Booth ($0.000m)

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)

Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)

BONUS OVERAGE

$0

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,993,333; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster) $2,006,667 <<EDIT: MISSED TOTAL CAP SPACE DURING COPY PASTE

Discussion Points:

Feel free to discuss other topics I may have missed.

I truly and honestly believe that Benning is keeping our proven NHL assets around until he sees what the kids can do. If any of the kids are pushing for a spot I bet he makes room. I know he is hampered by NTC's but I think he could convince some, if not all to waive NTCs if need be.

As for the goal situation I still figure Lack is just likely to be traded than Markstrom. If they are both slated for a backup role, to me it makes sense to trade the one with higher trade value.

I'm going to be honest, I don't think we are as far off the pace in the division as some others do, but I also believe the Sedins are going to have a bounce back season. We may make the playoffs, we may stink only slightly less than last season. One thing I'm convinced of is that we will be better than last season.

We would look a lot better with Evander Kane.

AKA 1st line plus two third lines...

Honestly I see it as 2 border line second lines which isn't that bad.

Roster looks good if you ask me. I'm excited that we won't be tanking and can possibly compete for a playoff spot.

Hopefully we deal a goalie in a package that lands us a top 6 forward. Then we would be extremely competitive. Still upset we didn't re up Santo though.

Archived