The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our lineup now that Vey has accepted QO

Beastmode33

vey also has a 2 way contract so he also may start in Utica , imo just more competition for spots among the vets and young guns, and a great way way to push the dead weight off the team

Very unlikely Vey spends time in Utica because he needs to clear waivers to be demoted to the AHL.

As has been said many times before, two-way contracts have absolutely nothing to do with a player's waivers status.

In Vey's case, he had a three year waivers exemption, due to his signing age, and that expired after last season. He's now waivers eligible: http://www.capgeek.com/waiver-calculator/?player_id=2031&NHL_games=18&pro_games_radio=1&Calculate=

And he'd almost certainly be claimed, if placed on waivers.

He's also the only righthanded centreman on the current roster, which makes him our only righthand "strong side" option on critical faceoffs.

D, Sedin H. Sedin R. Vrbata

C. Higgins N. Bonino N. Jensen

D. Fox B. Gaunce L. Vey

M. Zalewski B. Horvat Z. Kassian

I would like a youth injection if the Twins are stayin here , if the twins stay ( wich looks like the case ) then the Canucks can only do a half rebuild , Sorry , Hansen , Richardson , Sestito, Matthias, , the new Canucks only have room for maybe Burrows, I do realize we need depth for a long season , :) we also need a Stanley Cup :)

You think that is a Stanley Cup winning lineup????? That is a McDavid Cup winning lineup.

Very unlikely Vey spends time in Utica because he needs to clear waivers to be demoted to the AHL.

As has been said many times before, two-way contracts have absolutely nothing to do with a player's waivers status.

In Vey's case, he had a three year waivers exemption, due to his signing age, and that expired after last season. He's now waivers eligible: http://www.capgeek.com/waiver-calculator/?player_id=2031&NHL_games=18&pro_games_radio=1&Calculate=

And he'd almost certainly be claimed, if placed on waivers.

He's also the only righthanded centreman on the current roster, which makes him our only righthand "strong side" option on critical faceoffs.

THIS

Vey is going to get his shot. And honestly I think that although there will be some growing pains with him, people are going to be pleasantly surprised. He is ready for the NHL.

I don't know why, but after reading a bunch and watching some videos on Vey and Bonino, I really want to see them play together with Kassian. Maybe not this season, but I think this has the makings of a legitimate 2nd line. Bonino would probably have to move to the left wing with Vey at center because Vey and Kassian both shoot right. There would be some real playmaking and hockey sense on that line. Kassian does have good offensive instincts and is just now entering the years when power forwards typically take big developmental steps. There's no reason to believe he won't. If he can shore up his play without the puck, I can see this line finding chemistry quickly.

As others have mentioned, Vey will be necessary on the Canucks roster since he's the only right shooting center to take faceoffs on his strong side. Plus, he's got shootout moves and by all accounts, great hockey sense. He skates well and, according to some Kings fans, is capable of making unreal passes. In fact, nearly every Kings fan's posts that I read say they believe he is ready to make an impact in the NHL and was unfortunately stuck behind a glut of talent in LA. They're sad to see him go but happy he's getting a chance to play. I also kept running into posts saying he's a great teammate, though I'm unsure how these fans would know that.

This is the type of player we want, right? Young, fast, skilled, smart, versatile, popular with teammates and fans, and cheeeeeeeeeap!

i believe people on here are seriously Underestimating the game of Matthias and what he can bring to this team.

Management wanted to and said it would get younger...And it DID!! Bonino is younger and cheaper than Kesler, Sbisa is younger and cheaper than Garrison, Vey is 22 and signed cheap , Dorsett and Mattias are both just entering there Prime years in the mid twenty's.

the Sedin line is finally been given a player that can be expected to excel with them, a smart player who plays at a hockey IQ level that should by all accounts excel.

with Miller here and the additions of Bonino, Vrbata,Vey, plus a bounce back year from Burrows we should be able to cut our OT/Shoot-out loses in half , and with more depth , a healthier year(knock on wood) and a few stolen games from Miller we will be in the playoffs, and once there all bets are off!

I look at that roster, and think... If Jensen and Gaunce make the team this year - or even one of them.... which players would be moved out?

Really we should have signed one 8 million players instead of 2 middle players... then we would have room for a youngster (and actually be a better team).

Overpaying for a real star is what we needed to do... and I don't mean Iginla. Of course there are no real stars out there to sign...

I hope the team is true to it's word - if Jensen / Gaunce look ready, they need to be given a shot and some of the older forwards moved

I agree with onesmallleap about Matthias. Kid can play. I remember researching him a lot for my sim league. I think he's an ideal 3rd line c/w with versatility to move up and down the lineup. Since the team's second line might be a bit on the inexperienced side, I'd like to see it be a little bit sheltered by a third line of Matthias, Higgins and Burrows. Give those guys some of the 2nd line's minutes. Richardson, Hansen and Dorsett are a responsible enough 4th line to deserve more minutes as well.

D. Fox B. Gaunce L. Vey

I would like a youth injection if the Twins are stayin here , if the twins stay ( wich looks like the case ) then the Canucks can only do a half rebuild , Sorry , Hansen , Richardson , Sestito, Matthias, , the new Canucks only have room for maybe Burrows, I do realize we need depth for a long season , :) we also need a Stanley Cup :)

You know when people say something is sick or bad but they mean it in a good way. I don't want you to get that confused with why I'm about to say it.

That line up is bad.

D. Fox B. Gaunce L. Vey

Sorry, but look at that lineup again and tell me how that is possibly a good line up.

Also, the bolded part is comical and i hope you mistyped.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Kane - Bonino - Vrbata

_______------------------

Higgins - Matthias - Kassian

Dorsett - Richardson - Vey

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - Edler

Sbisa - Stanton

Personally I would keep markstrom and trade Lack. I think camp will give us a clearer picture of the progress hes made since coming here, I don't think last year was a fair assessment due to Torts use of him, kinda just threw him in at the end of the season when the whole team had given up.

Lack also has more value and seems to be a bit of a waste behind Miller for three years, whereas I think it's the right amount of time to bring Markstrom along as a back up.

But I wouldn't be sad if it was Markstrom who got the boot.

The way I Look at it . Having Miller helps Lack with a Veteran to lean on in which he didn't have a the last half of the year. Miller only has a three year contract. It would be a waste for the Canucks to Developed Lack and then trade him. It didn't hurt Cory behind Loungo. In fact I Believe Lack will be a better goaltender once Miller leaves.

1) Where does this roster rank in the League, Western Conference, and Pacific Division?

I think we're a lock for 10-9 but can probably slip up to even 7th depending on the chemistry of our roster and if/when they manage to get on a hotstreak.

2) We have 3 goalies and a full roster. Do you think we keep all 3? How do you see our roster changing before opening night?

I think both Markstrom is gone by next trade deadline and Lack by the offseason following that.

3) Do we lack the youth we were promised to be injected in this lineup?

I don't think we lack the youth but we have no first line calibre players in the system. That could pose a big problem in as soon as two years time when the Sedins can no longer handle the gruelling type of play they require to fend off defenders. We have plenty of youth waiting to invigorate our depth, but nothing to replace 2nd and 3rd overall players.

Dane Fox and Shinkaruk are both snipers and Jensen plays a pretty solid all round game and has proven that he can put up points, why don't you consider these guys 1st line material when the Sedins' retire? Virtanen is a goal scorer, can skate and plays a physical style.....so where does he play on your team....4th line? Horvat?

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Bonino - Vey - Kassian (love this idea SID.IS.SID!)

Higgins - Matthias - Burrows

Hansen - Richardson - Dorsett

It will be difficult for Bo Horvat to beat out the likes of Matthias this year.. he will need a monster camp. Furthermore, why do people keep putting him on the wing, this guys is a terror down the middle. Also STOP putting Burrows on the Left Wing.. he had his success with the Sedin's on the right side!

I opted to put Hansen on the LW and 4th line because Burr > Hansen.. personally I think Hansen is gone soon.

Prediction: Also, Jensen will get one more year of Utica and then will come up next year with a complete game or net us a nice return as a trade.

There is no way we trade Jensen....the kid is going to be a solid player. If we are going to go back to trading away our skilled prospects or 'quick fixes', we will end up with no depth. I would trade a 3rd or 4th line vet before I mortgaged the future.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Kassian

Higgins Mattias Hansen

Jensen Richardson Vey (slot in Sestito and Dorsett when you want grit)

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Sbisa Stanton (slot in Weber if he plays well enough to be the PP qb)

Roll 4 lines and insert Jensen and or Vey up the lineup as needed.

Still think having Garrison gave us better depth on the back end... Maybe he wanted out.

IMO, gonna go off the board a bit but here's what I predict to start the season:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Bonino Vrbata

Kassian Matthais Vey

Dorsett Richardson Hansen

Jensen (maybe Sestito gets waived unless he shows up and plays hard)

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Bieksa

Sbisia Stanton

Weber

Crazy that the Canucks have good depth this year. I predict Willie will start with a conservative, solid 2 way line up untill youngsters like Jensen and Vey push for top 6 spots. Also think Matthais will be the 3rd line C for most of the year with Richardson anchoring the 4th.

I think jenson needs a full year in utica. I think fox shink will get some chances throughout the year as call ups. I think we will see bo th gaunce and horvat in the lineup next year i also think we need to trade lack over markstrom. I know everyone loves lack but jacob has a much higher ceiling injuries and being in florida really got him off track, but if u look at his bio on hf they gave him an 8.5 i havent seen that to often except for barkov and a few others. now im not saying he would still get that hype, im just saying if we trade him now and he ends becoming a star how much will that suck? also with miller here for 3 lack is done anyway so y not trade him and get a pick or prospect? same with hanson and richardson sestito get rid of those 3 clear up room in the bottom 6 for the young guys. both bo and gaunce are very strong on d, gaunce could easily replace brad and put up more points for a lot cheaper. put bo gaunce dorsett on the 4th let them have some sheltered minutes while adjusting to the nhl.

Sedin/Sedin/Verbata

Burr/Bones/Kassian

Higgs/Vey/Mathias

bo/Gaunce/dorsett

Archived