The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our lineup now that Vey has accepted QO

Beastmode33

I truly and honestly believe that Benning is keeping our proven NHL assets around until he sees what the kids can do. If any of the kids are pushing for a spot I bet he makes room. I know he is hampered by NTC's but I think he could convince some, if not all to waive NTCs if need be.

As for the goal situation I still figure Lack is just likely to be traded than Markstrom. If they are both slated for a backup role, to me it makes sense to trade the one with higher trade value.

I'm going to be honest, I don't think we are as far off the pace in the division as some others do, but I also believe the Sedins are going to have a bounce back season. We may make the playoffs, we may stink only slightly less than last season. One thing I'm convinced of is that we will be better than last season.

We would look a lot better with Evander Kane.

You had me until the last line.

If this is true, Markstrom has to seize his chance if he wants to make the team.

If he plays well enough in camp, JB can send Lack to Utica and we don't have to lose either of our top young goaltending prospects.

And JB has introduced more competition for jobs again, this time at the goalie position.

They were pretty good buds up 'til now, but it is Lack vs. Markstrom this preseason.

This should be one of the more interesting preseason battles -- to see who becomes the backup.

vey also has a 2 way contract so he also may start in Utica , imo just more competition for spots among the vets and young guns, and a great way way to push the dead weight off the team

Have to repeat it again -- Vey is on the team. Done deal, if nothing more than waivers eligibility.

Really, Vey is the big question mark, Bonino the smaller one?

We know how good we were with Kesler and Santorelli! Last year we were halfway into the season and easily a play off team.But we lost Santorelli and it fell apart. Bonino may not be AS good as Kesler, but he can play. So can Mathias, who we added later on and we added Dorsett so we have depth. Perhaps that off sets the loss of Kesler? The question is if Vey can play a feisty game, hounding the puck, digging it out of corners and still lend some puck control and scoring like Santorelli did?

Its the signature of LA guys.

To me we make the play off's if Vey is as good Santorelli!

Pre-season math has us sitting 3rd PAC or 9th/lower (miss playoffs)...I'm pretty sure that the Central Div will place the same 5 teams again leaving only 3 for Pac Div. I think we'll be battling San Jose all season for 3rd in PAC.

I assume Vey will be in the lineup, my guess is 3rd line centre. I think Horvat will go back to the O. I can't see the Canucks trading a 2nd rounder and plunking Vey in the press box.

Anyone curious what comes of the defence? It seems the d have a hard time playing their off side. Well, we have 4 left handed D in Hamhuis, Edler, Sbisa and Stanton. Then righties in Bieksa and Tanev. I don't see Corrado making it over any of these guys, possibly Stanton becomes the 7th D and Corrado pairs with Stanton, but if a righty gets injured? Someone will have to slide over to the right side. Anyone know if Sbisa ever played the right side in Anaheim?

For the record, my starting line up as predicted...

Sedin-Sedin-Vrabata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Vey-Hansen

Matthias-Richardson-Dorset

Hamhuis-Tanev

Edler-Sbisa

Stanton-Bieksa

Obviously on condition of Sbisa being able to play the right side.

Need a shutdown D-man like Matt Greene, Chara, etc.

If a trade can't be made for a top 6 forward, then insert two or three young guns in the line up and let them play regular minutes together.

I'd like to see Fox, Horvat on a line with Shinkaruk; Take a page from Colorado (not Edmonton) and support the young guys with solid defenseman.

A few young players need to start to develop in the NHL; rather than, filling the voids by using plumbers and peripheral players that have no hockey sense.

Well he's not gonna beat out Higgins or Burrows.

He's gotta beat out Vey, who seems to be a much better play maker than Matthias.

Higgins can't cut it as a 2nd line winger. He is streaky and very fragile.

At the end of last season I really like what I saw from Matthias. He was throwing big hits, strong along the boards, and setting up plays. I can see him anchoring the 3rd line with Higgins and Vey on the wings. Vey will need more experience in the NHL before taking draws against the big boys in the West.

I'm really hoping Matthias can step up offensively this year. I hope they give him a chance to succeed on the 2nd PP unit.

I can see the lineup shaping up like this:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Matthias-Vey

Hansen-Richardson-Dorsett

Sestito

PP:

Bonino-Sedin-Sedin

Vrbata-Matthias-Burrows/Kassian/Higgins/Vey

Only problem with that lineup is that there is no youth. Hopefully 1 of Hansen/Higgins/Burrows gets moved for picks. I can see JB making a slick trade or two in September before opening night.

IN BENNING WE TRUST.

what benning and linden made is that every player now has to fight for a spot. Now, horvat, everyone is like "oh he should make the team" no, he has to fight for it. JB and TL made the environment of our team harder. everyone has to push for a spot.

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - R.Vrbata

Z.Kassian - N.Bonino - A.Burrows

C.Higgins - L.Vey - S.Matthias

D.Dorsett and T.Sestito will be rotating

D.D/T.S - B.Richardson - J.Hansen

D.Hamhuis - K.Bieksa

A.Edler - C.Tanev

L.Sbisa - F.Corrado

R.Miller

E.Lack

------------------------------------------------------------NHL Roster -----------------------------------------------------

At the end of last season I really like what I saw from Matthias. He was throwing big hits, strong along the boards, and setting up plays. I can see him anchoring the 3rd line with Higgins and Vey on the wings. Vey will need more experience in the NHL before taking draws against the big boys in the West.

I'm really hoping Matthias can step up offensively this year. I hope they give him a chance to succeed on the 2nd PP unit.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Matthias-Vey

Sestito

PP:

Bonino-Sedin-Sedin

Vrbata-Matthias-Burrows/Kassian/Higgins/Vey

Only problem with that lineup is that there is no youth. Hopefully 1 of Hansen/Higgins/Burrows gets moved for picks. I can see JB making a slick trade or two in September before opening night.

IN BENNING WE TRUST.

:huh:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Matthias-Vey

Sestito

I'm of the same mind. Although Hansen and Dorsett are both right wingers. Anyone know if Dorsett is versatile enough to play on his off side? Hansen can if he must, but he's better on the right I think. I like this bottom 6 a lot.

As I mentioned in another post, I would eventually like to see Vey play himself onto the second line with Bonino and Kassian. I know he's young and inexperienced, but so was Bonino in Anaheim but he ended up their 2nd line C and did pretty well there. Vey might be even more skilled than Bonino. He put up huge numbers in Manchester. I know that doesn't necessarily mean squat, but it certainly doesn't hurt. I like that he's a right shooting center and has shootout moves. And according to Kings fans, he can make unbelievable saucer passes. If Burrows can't bounce back or doesn't click with Bonino and Kassian, I'd love to see Vey get a shot.

If you're whining about not giving our prospects a chance to make the team, Vey is a Canucks prospect. He wasn't drafted and developed by the Canucks, but he was picked in the same draft as Kassian and Jordan Schroeder. So basically he's the Canucks prospect most ready to step into the NHL. When Jensen is scoring a point per game in Utica, then he'll be as ready as Vey is right now. Gaunce, Shinkaruk, and Fox could all use a year or 2 in the AHL. Jensen and possibly Gaunce will be called up this season and get their chance to show they deserve to stick. Horvat will go back to junior, and so he should. To accomplish what, you ask? Maybe win a Memorial Cup, something he and his team failed badly to do this year despite hosting the event. Now...Corrado should be given every opportunity to stick with the big club. He is the most likely Canucks-drafted prospect to make it this season since he only needs to outplay Stanton and Weber. At this point, that may be a tall order, but certainly doable if he comes to camp and shows he's even better now than he was at the end of last season.

Most NHL teams would love the Vrbdins on their top line. It's a playoff team-worthy 1st line. That said, without secondary scoring they could run into some of the same old problems; namely drawing the full attention of all of the opposition's best defensive players. This could hurt their production again. I believe the team's revamped bottom 6 will chip in with more secondary scoring than last season, but it won't be enough to divide opposing teams' defensive attention. The playoffs will happen only if the second line produces close to best-case-scenario. Bonino cannot regress. Kassian must progress. Burrows must regain his form. That's gotta be 3 home runs, which won't be easy. But if they can manage to click and be enough of a threat to draw quality defenders away from the Vrbdin line, this is a playoff team.

I'm still scratching my head as to why CDC'ers are so stoked about the addition of Linden Vey and his 18 games of NHL experience cracking the Canuck lineup THIS upcoming season. Exactly what is that based on? If you're a fan of the Vancouver Canucks (and the Utica Comets) and have followed them during the course of the last 2-3 seasons, then how could you possibly be familiar at all with Linden Vey when he's been playing with the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL? You're likely more familiar with Nicklas Jensen, yet, some CDC'ers have claimed Vey is more likely than him to make the club?! That MIGHT have been a possible scenario before Jannik Hansen's NTC kicked in, but, with the addition of Dorsett, how can Vey draw in with the bottom 6 at RW? And, let's not pretend he makes the club at C, either. Do you really want him centering the 4th line over Richardson or watching from the press box as a depth forward?

I'd like to think Benning still has one more move to make to improve this roster rather than counting on Linden Vey to make the club. He's still only 22. It won't kill the kid to spend the season at Utica.

I'm still scratching my head as to why CDC'ers are so stoked about the addition of Linden Vey and his 18 games of NHL experience cracking the Canuck lineup THIS upcoming season. Exactly what is that based on? If you're a fan of the Vancouver Canucks (and the Utica Comets) and have followed them during the course of the last 2-3 seasons, then how could you possibly be familiar at all with Linden Vey when he's been playing with the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL? You're likely more familiar with Nicklas Jensen, yet, some CDC'ers have claimed Vey is more likely than him to make the club?! That MIGHT have been a possible scenario before Jannik Hansen's NTC kicked in, but, with the addition of Dorsett, how can Vey draw in with the bottom 6 at RW? And, let's not pretend he makes the club at C, either. Do you really want him centering the 4th line over Richardson or watching from the press box as a depth forward?

I'd like to think Benning still has one more move to make to improve this roster rather than counting on Linden Vey to make the club. He's still only 22. It won't kill the kid to spend the season at Utica.

Do you read any other posts before you post yourself?

Vey will make the team because he can't be sent down to Utica without the possibility of getting picked up on waivers.

There's no problem having Jensen start in Utica because there are things called injuries, especially at the start of the season where players aren't used to game scenarios.

Burrows is siigned for 3 more years at a cap hit of $4.5m.

It is conceivable that Benning slots him in on the second line to see if he can produce without the twins.

If he can't I would expect he is moved back on the first line to pad his stats and see how Vrbata manages on the second.

The Sedins are the engine of this team. It will be interesting to see how Burrows makes out.

Do you read any other posts before you post yourself?

Vey will make the team because he can't be sent down to Utica without the possibility of getting picked up on waivers.

There's no problem having Jensen start in Utica because there are things called injuries, especially at the start of the season where players aren't used to game scenarios.

Oh, I do. But, I would never be dumb enough to always take as the gospel truth something that was said on CDC, wiseguy. Past experience prevents that. But, if you want to, go ahead.

Opening Line-up:

Line 1: D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Vrbata

Line 2: Burrows - Bonino - Hansen

Line 3: Higgins - Matthias - Kassian

Line 4: Vey - Richardson - Doorset / Sesito

D 1: Hammer - Bieksa

D 2: Edler - Tanev

D 3: Sbisa - Weber

G 1: Miller

G 2: Lack

I don't think you'll see Vey take center often, he isn't very good I hear. Kassian may get more top 6 minutes, but I am sure Hansen will fight him for the second line. Fourth line will be how good people play, I see Vey getting knocked out by Sesito. Defense is a lock, unless injury where Corrodo and Staton take over. Markstrom will never play. I'd like to switch Hansen for Jensen personally, but I don't see the option right away. Also, Horvat and Richardson be a nice switch too.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Matthias-Vey

Sestito

I think you have the forward lines bang on to start out with and what is here now

Higgy is a good 3rd line guy that can move up during games or in a crunch

Vey and Mathias can swap back and fourth over the start of the season to see who is best where

As well they can each take the draws on their strong sides (which should give confidence)

And who Knows ::: Maybe one of the two of them outplay Bonino and takes over the 2C role

Until the young guys are totally ready we have to let them learn in the leagues below

But once they are ready if we do it correctly and put them in situations then guys like

Mathias Hansen Burrows Richardson Vrbata Higgins

Will Have value when it is time to trade them when either their contracts are coming due or once a young guy is ready to step in

Cause rite now alot of our players have little value cause they were not put in situations to succeed last year

and with us having young guys to start coming up we want to get the most value on the market once its time to gp

I'd be interested to see how the following lineup would fare...Vey is a playmaking centreman, and Bonino looks like a guy who can finish.

And a line of Burrow/Richardson/Dorsett will be capable of driving anyone crazy.

Lastly, I can see all four lines getting a minimum of 12 minutes of playing time...added ice time for Sedins/Vrbata, Bonino/Vey/Kass for PP, and added ice time for Burrows, Richardson, Matthias, Higgins, Hansen for PK.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Radim Vrbata ($5.000m)
Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Linden Vey ($0.735m) / Zack Kassian ($1.750m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($2.000m)
Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) / Ryan Stanton ($0.550m)
Yannick Weber ($0.850m)
GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.000m)
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)
BUYOUTS
David Booth ($0.000m)
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
BURIED
Jacob Markstrom ($0.275m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,068,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,931,667

Archived