The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our lineup now that Vey has accepted QO

Beastmode33

I think the line up is ok for now.

I believe Benning will see what they can get out of the current players before re-shaping the squad. Too many questions regarding the existing squads hunger and desire. If Sedins, Burrows, Hansen etc. bounces back big time, the squad may only be a few tweaks away from contending again.

Alternatively it would be foolish to buy supporting players to fill in the blanks if the original players doesn't bounce back and are to be traded..

Also letting the youngsters show their stuff in the AHL first would be good for their development...

OP your lineup looks good. However, I think they will run Matthias as 3C and put Vey on his wing to start the season. Matthias obviously has more experience taking draws in the NHL.

What concerns me are the PP units. After watching Bonino's goals from last year, I think he would do great with the Sedins on the 1st unit. Problem is, the 2nd unit looks quite weak:

Burrows/Kassian - Matthias/Vey - Vrbata

All of the lineups everyone have been posting is assuming Kassian is ready for a top 6 role. I really hope he is.

Sedin/Sedin/Vrbata

Burrows/Bonino/Kassian

Higgins/Matthias/Vey

Zalewski/Richardson/Dorsett

Sestito

Hamhuis/Tanev

Edler/Bieksa

Sbisa/Corrado

Stanton

Miller

Lack

(Markstrom)

PP UNIT: PP UNIT 2:

Sedin/Sedin/Bonino Higgins/Matthias/Kassian

Hamhuis/Vrbata Corrado/Edler

PK UNIT: PK UNIT 2:

Richardson/Burrows Matthias/Vey

Hamhuis/Tanev Sbisa/Bieksa

I don't think this is 100% right but with Vey now, I think it this might be our line up. PP AND PK... I just added that there. Probably not right at all but I'd be looking forward to this kind of PP and PK. It's great we got Vey.

Sedin/Sedin/Vrbata

Burrows/Bonino/Kassian

Higgins/Matthias/Vey

Zalewski/Richardson/Dorsett

Sestito

Hamhuis/Tanev

Edler/Bieksa

Sbisa/Corrado

Stanton

Miller

Lack

(Markstrom)

PP UNIT: PP UNIT 2:

Sedin/Sedin/Bonino Higgins/Bonino/Kassian

Hamhuis/Vrbata Corrado/Edler

PK UNIT: PK UNIT 2:

Richardson/Burrows Matthias/Vey

Hamhuis/Tanev Sbisa/Bieksa

I don't think this is 100% right but with Vey now, I think it this might be our line up. PP AND PK... I just added that there. Probably not right at all but I'd be looking forward to this kind of PP and PK. It's great we got Vey.

Ya you are missing Weber who just signed and is probably our 6th defenseman over Corrado, as well as you have Bonino on Both PP's.

Honestly I see it as 2 border line second lines which isn't that bad.

Roster looks good if you ask me. I'm excited that we won't be tanking and can possibly compete for a playoff spot.

Hopefully we deal a goalie in a package that lands us a top 6 forward. Then we would be extremely competitive. Still upset we didn't re up Santo though.

Higgins, Vey, and Hansen isn't anywhere near 2nd line material. Vey, Higgins and Matthias is an ideal third line in my opinion. But Hansen's time in top 6 has proven over and over to be the wrong place for him and management should know this by now. He's a guy that should have been shipped out in a package a long time ago. It's no secret this team lacks a legit 2nd line centre and the fact Benning believes Bonino will be that spot is absurd and will back fire quickly.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Matthias - Hansen

Sestito - Richardson - Dorsett

Jeffrey

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Stanton - Weber

Sbisa

Miller

Lack

Shinkaruk - O'Reilly - Vey

Zalewski - Gaunce - Jensen

Fox - Friesen - Grenier

Kenins - Lain - De Fazio/Archibald

Mallet

Kennedy

Tommernes - Corrado

Biega - Sanguinetti

Andersson - McEneny

Blain

Lafranchise

Eriksson

Cannata

Remember that we will experience injuries throught the season, there is now plenty of depth for both the Canucks and the Comets to weather the storm. As usual, we will see many callups and different combinations this year.

As for a lineup:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Vey-Hansen

Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett

Lain, Sestito

Hamhuis-Tanev

Stanton-Bieksa

Sbisa-Corrado

Edler

Miller

Lack

Unfortunately Edler will be playing in a top 4 role.

Also I would switch Matthias and Hansen. A part of the reason why Matthias asked for a trade was due to playing time.

Unfortunately Edler will be playing in a top 4 role.

Also I would switch Matthias and Hansen. Apart of the reason why Matthias asked for a trade was due to playing time.

Edler's going to find himself in the press box if he keeps up his play from the last 2 seasons. He's clearly worse than Hamhuis and Stanton, Sbisa actually has the chance of improving at his age, and none of them can play the right side. Unless Edler somehow grows a brain and learns how to play NHL caliber defense, he sure as hell won't be in the top 4 playing for a new coach.

As for Hansen, I think he rebounds from last year, and we certainly need some speed in the lineup. That 4th line will get plenty of minutes anyway.

I'm hoping a couple of the new guys are stand-outs during camp/preseason and they play their way into higher roles that expected.

I'd love to see Vey show chemistry with Bonino and have them work as a tandem on the de facto 2nd line (with Kassian hopefully). I'd really like to see Gaunce surprise people and earn as shot at centering a 3A/3B line (I'm expecting big things from him this season--and felt this way long before his strong showing at the recent summer development camp). Finally, I hope that Sanguinetti has a big preseason and earns a spot partnering with Edler (and fills vacant PMD/PPQB role).

The odds aren't great of all this happening, but if it worked out, the lineup would be as follows:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Bonino-Vey-Kassian (Bonino and Vey tandem at centre and switch for strong-side draws)

Matthias-Richardson-Higgins

Burrows-Gaunce-Hansen

Dorsett

(Sestito)

Hamhuis-Tanev

Edler-Sanguinetti

Sbisa-Bieksa

Stanton

(Weber)

Miller

Lack

(Markstrom)

Players appearing in brackets might be demoted/waived/traded (as needed to make space on roster).

If everyone actually played to a level that justified their place in the lineup (as currently listed--ie: Vey, Sanguinetti), this would be a very balanced team with lots of options.

That all said, I expect a more conventional lineup will be much more likely for the season opener (similar to many of those already posted).

Now that Linden Vey has officially accepted his Qualifying Offer, this is how our team looks:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Radim Vrbata ($5.000m)

Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Zack Kassian ($1.750m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Linden Vey ($0.735m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)

Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($2.000m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) / Yannick Weber ($0.850m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /

GOALTENDERS

Ryan Miller ($6.000m)

Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

David Booth ($0.000m)

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)

Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)

BONUS OVERAGE

$0

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,993,333; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster) $2,006,667 <<EDIT: MISSED TOTAL CAP SPACE DURING COPY PASTE

Discussion Points:

1) Where does this roster rank in the League, Western Conference, and Pacific Division?

2) We have 3 goalies and a full roster. Do you think we keep all 3? How do you see our roster changing before opening night?

3) Do we lack the youth we were promised to be injected in this lineup?

Feel free to discuss other topics I may have missed.

I would tend to agree with the lineup as drawn up by Beastmode33. The only exceptions being one of the three goalies needs to be moved out (demoted to Comets, or traded), and I would rank Stanton ahead of Weber on the back end.

On paper, the forward lines look like they are going to be a fast, up-tempo group...a group that can play a puck possession, fast forechecking, good on transition type of game, which is exactly as JB/TL/WD have stated what they want the team to be. As a group, it's lacking size...only Kassian, Higgins, Matthias, and Sestito top out over 200, and Higgins doesn't play a "heavy" game. We could use a few more big/skilled guys up front, so maybe this is where a Brendan Gaunce, Bo Horvat, Nik Jensen and Mike Zalewski gets a long look.

If any of these young, bigger kids can unseat Burrows, Hansen, and Richardson, I'll be overjoyed (we get younger and bigger, and arguably more skilled).

I still see our defence group as not having a real identity...it's not lightning quick like the 'Hawks...it lacks the size, grit and skill of the Kings...but on paper, it doesn't look that bad. But, I can't really give a good description of our d-men. Can someone help me with this one?

I think we still need to add skilled size upfront, one more bonafide top six goal scorer, a smooth skating puck moving d-man, and a big, tough as nails, mean, ornery defenceman to round out the roster.

Now that Linden Vey has officially accepted his Qualifying Offer, this is how our team looks:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Radim Vrbata ($5.000m)

Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Zack Kassian ($1.750m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Linden Vey ($0.735m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)

Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)

This team is asking for too much of a push from the players... If I recall reading correctly Vey had trouble even staying in the Kings lineup (now I know that was a championship team) and asking him to play 3rd line role which really should be filled by Bonino who is another player I feel is being asked for something he has not proven he can handle.

Plus I don't see much youth in this lineup, so make trades to make room for prospects and acquire a legit 2nd line center or acquire a winger like Evander Kane (not saying it has to be Kane) with Bonino that can make his job easier...

What our lineup should look like:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burr-_______ -Jensen

Horvat-Bonino-Kassian

Richardson-Matthias-Dorsett

Hammer-Juice

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Weber

Miller

Lack

Trade: Markstrom+ Hansen+ Higgins+ B Prospect (NOT Horvat, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, McCaan or Gaunce) for ________ Feel free to insert a player you think could take the 2C role and if you think it's a fair trade.

Otherwise GM JB and Linden are taking a BIG gamble with a lineup that I feel is bound to just miss the playoffs by one or two spots which sucks because it's right in between the 1st overall pick and Stanley Cup. I'd much rather be the LA Kings OR the Florida Panthers than right in between.

Which forward ahead of him is he better than? He can earn a better spot if he has an issue with his role.

In the lock out shortened season he was on pace for 23 goals with Florida (had 14 in 48 games).

How many players in our bottom 6 have that potential?

Also, his 7 points in 18 games with us put him on pace for 31.8 points over a season. Taking into consideration it was a new team, which was playing horribly, in a new system. It is clear his point total will only rise.

I don't any 4th liners in the league who can put up 30-40 points.

Skill wise he is ahead of:

Sestito

Richardson

Dorsett

Hansen (potentially - about even at this point)

He was a 2nd round pick by the WINGS. That speaks volumes. Also won gold with Canada at the WJHC.

Keep in mind he is still only 26.

Not sure why so many people on this board peg him as a 4th liner.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrow

Higgins - Bonino - Vrbata

Mathias - Vey - Kassian

Sesito - Richardson - Hansen

Doresett

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Sbisa Stanton

Weber

Miller/Lack

- Shinkaurk, Jensen, Gaunce could use a year in the AHL. No point of rushing them

-let burrows have another go with them early on and spread the wealth on the team. He's a 3rd liner w/o them

In the lock out shortened season he was on pace for 23 goals with Florida (had 14 in 48 games).

How many players in our bottom 6 have that potential?

Also, his 7 points in 18 games with us put him on pace for 31.8 points over a season. Taking into consideration it was a new team, which was playing horribly, in a new system. It is clear his point total will only rise.

I don't any 4th liners in the league who can put up 30-40 points.

Skill wise he is ahead of:

Sestito

Richardson

Dorsett

Hansen (potentially - about even at this point)

He was a 2nd round pick by the WINGS. That speaks volumes. Also won gold with Canada at the WJHC.

Keep in mind he is still only 26.

Not sure why so many people on this board peg him as a 4th liner.

Yeah but we have a lot of guys who are very slightly better IMO. Nothing wrong with putting him on the 4th line and having a GOOD 4th line.

Yeah but we have a lot of guys who are very slightly better IMO. Nothing wrong with putting him on the 4th line and having a GOOD 4th line.

IMO Hansen is better suited on the 4th line.

Matthias to me is better than Hansen and can play C which makes him a lot more valuable as well.

Archived