The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[NHL.com Article] Horvat, Gaunce trim down with hopes to make Canucks roster

I hope that they can give Horvat at least a 9-game trial to see if he's able to keep up in the NHL. If at least borderline, better to keep him around to train and practice against men, rather than just dominating against boys in junior.

Him starting on the wing or on the 4th line wouldn't be a bad idea either. Kesler started out on the 4th line and as a winger too and he turned out fine. Same with Gaunce too.

If either (or both) Horvat and Gaunce makes it to the NHL, pair them up with someone like Richardson or Burrows, both vets who can school them defensively and back them up should things get dicey.

A fourth line of Higgins/Horvat/Dorsett may be able to check and score, put Sestito in when you need to get tougher.

First three lines;

Sedins/Vrbata

Burrows/Bonino/Kassian

Jensen/Vey/Mathais

A fourth line of Higgins/Horvat/Dorsett may be able to check and score, put Sestito in when you need to get tougher.

First three lines;

Sedins/Vrbata

Burrows/Bonino/Kassian

Jensen/Vey/Mathais

Horvat shouldn't be playing on the 4th line, that's probably the worst thing you can do with Horvat.

Guest Dasein

I hope that they can give Horvat at least a 9-game trial to see if he's able to keep up in the NHL. If at least borderline, better to keep him around to train and practice against men, rather than just dominating against boys in junior.

Him starting on the wing or on the 4th line wouldn't be a bad idea either. Kesler started out on the 4th line and as a winger too and he turned out fine. Same with Gaunce too.

If either (or both) Horvat and Gaunce makes it to the NHL, pair them up with someone like Richardson or Burrows, both vets who can school them defensively and back them up should things get dicey.

Which he has yet to do in his career.

If he already dominated last season, we'd have legitimate reasons to keep him around if he's borderline.

But he hasn't dominated juniors yet. So if he's borderline, we will probably send him down so that he can develop his offense - this will probably be better for his development in the long run.

I think for Bo to stick around, he's got to impress and prove he's the best player for one of the top 9 positions in pre-season before opening night. If he's in the lineup opening night, that means we moved a roster player to keep him up and he will most likely stay unless he screws up royally in the first 9 games.

Horvat shouldn't be playing on the 4th line, that's probably the worst thing you can do with Horvat.

I could think of worse things to do to Horvat

Getting any NHL ice time would be good. Even in a 4th line role he could still get 2nd unit PP time

I could think of worse things to do to Horvat

Getting any NHL ice time would be good. Even in a 4th line role he could still get 2nd unit PP time

4th line minutes is not good. That's about 5-10 minutes of ice-time if we're going to play him, play him 3rd line minutes. If he's the centre getting the least amount of ice-time he will not become anything more than a bottom 6 centre.

Get him to junior, let him hit around 90-100 points, Domi hit 93 points. This guy's offensive isn't where it should be, let him get the 9 games so he can see his offensive game isn't there yet. Then send him down, get him some mental goals (should be 90-100 points in a full OHL season).

Max Domi might be in London again and he was drafted just 3 spots below Horvat, Nurse is going down too. It isn't a big deal.

The best thing that could happen to Bo would be him being traded to a contender. London is going to be in the first year of a rebuild and i truly believe that Dale Hunter would be holding Bo back offensively. He's a great coach and understands what it takes to win, but he seems to think that all players should play one way and he stifles offensive creativity. Bo has another dimension to be gained and IMO, he won't be able to gain it under his current situation in Junior.

If Benning was confident that Horvat could step right in then he would not have made sure a center came back in the Kesler deal.

Horvat's not ready. Gaunce isn't either.

Lol you're so full of crap I honestly question if it's worth even responding to you.

I don't think there is a soul that believes that Horvat is ready for a 2C role in the NHL.

It is a stretch that Bonino can continue to improve the way he has and fill Kesler's role without any hiccups. But there is a reason that both Gillis and Benning targetted Bonino as the main piece in a Kesler deal. He has been on an upward trajectory and if insulated, can provide solid enough production to offset the loss. We had just better pray that Burr and Kass can establish solid enough chemistry to be a legit second line.

I think Gaunce could use at least a couple seasons in the AHL so that his ceiling doesn't stay as a third line checker.

Working on his intensity and consistency at the next level should be good for him.

Horvat I think is likely teetering on the fence right now. I don't think management wants to send him back to junior, but he still has to earn his spot. Either way I think he'll be highly motivated come training camp.

IMO both Horvat and Guance have the physical size to play NHL and think the game well enough to not hurt a club. The issue will be the speed of the NHL game and their ability to adapt. I prefer the Detroit

model of players spending time in the AHL to refine their pro game. I doubt either of these players make

Vancouver out of junior. Vancouver should not gamble with their careers. Methodical

development is the better route.

I agree with the statement that another year in junior won't help him learn the pace of the game. If he's not ready to go this season we really got raped in that deal. I mean we did anyways, but it's going to really start looking bleak when you factor in how many kids picked after Bo are going to play in the NHL this season.

Sounds like your still butthurt about Schneider and the Russian, have a little patience this kid has all the tools to be a great 200 ft player.

I feel like I say this over and over. What happens at 18 and 19 does not tell you the whole story of the player. Some players are rushed into the NHL and at 19-20 they look better because their class is still in Junior but they are ruined by 25. The stories about E. Kane show you that taking time to let players mature as people before hitting the big leagues can be as important as letting their game mature.

Taking your time to properly develop players is not embarassing it is good asset management.

But Smyl and Benning are in agreement that another year in junior would be a waste also, Smyl is suggesting the way he is used in London is counterproductive to his growth. I think atleast for the 9 games you keep him and try him in the 3rd and 4th line center spot, it's really going to be tough for him, Vey, Richardson/Matthias; he needs to match these guys and prove he can contribute at a similar level. Problem is at this point he is the worst skater of the lot. It also doesn't help his cause that he hasn't played much wing in his young career. Also I read an article in the province that he was infact at 220lbs and looking to shed down to 210lb, numbers in this article are different, strange? I was under the assumption he put on too much bulk and that's what was slowing him down, when he was drafted no issues regarding his speed were brought up, that was more about Gaunce.

They are going to roll 4 lines so he would get 8 to 10 minutes a game maybe with some PK time.

That isn't good enough. He needs to play alot of minutes in London and work on his offence, he needs to get worked like a horse so when he steps into the NHL he'll be the same type of player. He has the tools to become a #1C that plays in all situations.

But Smyl and Benning are in agreement that another year in junior would be a waste also, Smyl is suggesting the way he is used in London is counterproductive to his growth. I think atleast for the 9 games you keep him and try him in the 3rd and 4th line center spot, it's really going to be tough for him, Vey, Richardson/Matthias; he needs to match these guys and prove he can contribute at a similar level. Problem is at this point he is the worst skater of the lot. It also doesn't help his cause that he hasn't played much wing in his young career. Also I read an article in the province that he was infact at 220lbs and looking to shed down to 210lb, numbers in this article are different, strange? I was under the assumption he put on too much bulk and that's what was slowing him down, when he was drafted no issues regarding his speed were brought up, that was more about Gaunce.

I think Dale Hunter is using Horvat perfectly, Horvat is a Hunter type of player. Gritty, two-way, plays everywhere, reliable. London will have some good players taking some of the load off, they got Mitchell Marner, Max Domi, Michael McCarron, Chris Dvorak, Chandler Yakimowicz. Horvat needs to work on his offence, skating and that should be in junior. NHL isn't a league to improve your skillset significantly. Get Horvat to know what it takes to lead a team, he can do that in pro aswell. The way you develop a player in junior and AHL is the type of player you want him to become in the NHL.

I don't think there's much room for him anyways.

That isn't good enough. He needs to play alot of minutes in London and work on his offence, he needs to get worked like a horse so when he steps into the NHL he'll be the same type of player. He has the tools to become a #1C that plays in all situations.

I think Dale Hunter is using Horvat perfectly, Horvat is a Hunter type of player. Gritty, two-way, plays everywhere, reliable. London will have some good players taking some of the load off, they got Mitchell Marner, Max Domi, Michael McCarron, Chris Dvorak, Chandler Yakimowicz. Horvat needs to work on his offence, skating and that should be in junior. NHL isn't a league to improve your skillset significantly. Get Horvat to know what it takes to lead a team, he can do that in pro aswell. The way you develop a player in junior and AHL is the type of player you want him to become in the NHL.

I don't think there's much room for him anyways.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

A) Horvat is absolutely NOT a #1 centre in the making. He's a 2/3 guy - all the scouts and staff have put him into that role.

B) The NHL is the ONLY place to develop your offensive skills at the NHL level. Him playing 4 years of JR does nothing for his development at all. He's already Peaked at the JR level. This is not going to be a player like Dane Fox who suddenly puts up 130 points because he suddenly has a growth spurt.

It would be a bit lame to have Horvat in junior for another year, but it would be excellent to have him in the AHL the year after to season him up a little bit.

As others have already mentioned, I hope to see him get 9 games and force the club to make the difficult choice. If he proves himself to be a capable NHLer. or enough so to stick with the team and learn the ropes, then it wouldn't bother me at all because even if he is only logging 10 minutes a game he would at least be around the NHL pace on a daily basis.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

A) Horvat is absolutely NOT a #1 centre in the making. He's a 2/3 guy - all the scouts and staff have put him into that role.

B) The NHL is the ONLY place to develop your offensive skills at the NHL level. Him playing 4 years of JR does nothing for his development at all. He's already Peaked at the JR level. This is not going to be a player like Dane Fox who suddenly puts up 130 points because he suddenly has a growth spurt.

I'm not saying it's a guarantee but Horvat has a very good chance to become a #1C. I'm not talking about Crosby, Getzlaf tier but around the Couture, Stepan tier.

He shouldn't be in the NHL to improve his skills, he'll get hit hard by defencemans, checked easily, etc, he'll get frustrated and it'll do nothing for him.

Scott Laughton went to another year of junior, Max Domi might go for another year, Burakovsky did better than Horvat but will be in the AHL next season, It isn't a big deal that some other players that got drafted behind him are going to make the NHL next season but I want to see Horvat the offensive level of some other CHL players.

People are forgetting that playing on the 4th line doesn't mean he is cemented there for the season. Injuries happen. Hot/cold streaks happen. The team is committed to playing a 4 line game. I think keeping him on the Canucks and playing him in a 4th line role with the opportunities to move up based on performance; as well as practicing and playing at NHL pace, is better for him than juniors.

I would hate for the team to be mid December and have a bunch of injuries and wishing Horvat was on the team as the opportunity for a 2nd or 3rd line role is there. Or a trade happens and a spot opens up.

To me, what ruins a prospect more is keeping him on the team and thrusting him into a role he's not ready for and expecting results. On the 4th line, the expectations are low. You can shelter his minutes, have him take offensive zone faceoffs, play some PP and PK all with no pressure to perform. If they can get him some confience at the NHL level in low leverage situations, then I think he will be here to stay.

I think we should let him finish his Junior career. There's always something to learn. Go ask Jonathan Drouin and the Tampa Bay Lightning. They say his overall game got even better from when they sent him down. Offensively, defensively, physically, even his skating is better. If Jonathan Drouin can still find ways to improve in Junior, I think Horvat can too. Don't rush him. Let him develop fully and you will be happy in the end. Worst case scenario, is we bring him up and he absolutely crumbles and takes steps back in his development. Let's avoid that, unless we're like 95% sure he can have a great year.

If Benning was confident that Horvat could step right in then he would not have made sure a center came back in the Kesler deal.

Horvat's not ready. Gaunce isn't either.

There's a difference between making the NHL and being expected to step right into a 2nd line center role. You still want to make sure there's competition even if they did feel he was ready.

Archived