The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Re-signing)PK Subban re-ups in montreal for 8 years

How are you people

Holy crap...

9 mill..? P.K Subban is a terrific player but who in their right minds would EVER give more then the asking price..? I don't understand Bergevin. At the beginning he offered 5.25 mill while P.K asked for 8.5 mill. They couldn't agree with each other and went to arbitration. Not even 24 hours later, Bergevin not only signs P.K for 8 years long term... he gives him MORE MONEY than P.K ever asked in the first place..

6.6 mill to 7.8 mill range would have been perfect for Subban. Subban is a great player don't get me wrong, but Shea Weber is an all-around solid and better defenseman than P.K and so I understand the fact that Shea asked for 7.8 mill.. But P.K..?? Bergevin.. you have dun goofed again...

But good signing by the Canadiens as he's definitely a franchise player. But that $$$$$$ cash though..

Weber signed a deal under a different CBA. This is what you are going to get when contract term in limited to 8 years. Btw Weber's salary is 14M. The only reason his cap hit is low because he has 3 years 1M/year tacked on at the end. Not to mention Weber gets paid most of his money upfront in signing bonuses.

Also just because Subban wanted 8.5M in arbitration doesn't mean he wants the same amount over 9 years.

This! Some people just don't get it that you can't compare contracts signed under different cbas. Cap is rising and pk is top 5 d man in the league. He's worth it for sure

Ridiculous

He is NOT worth 9M. I thought he would get 8M max but this is stupid.

The Habs will suffer for this and so will the rest of the teams signing their stars. If this next jump of salaries continue, owners will start jacking up the already high prices.

It's contracts like this that will price more "common people" out of arenas as tickets will rise to pay for these stupid salaries.

Also just because Subban wanted 8.5M in arbitration doesn't mean he wants the same amount over 9 years.

Well usually players will take less for longer deals.

So if he wanted 9 mil over 8 years, that would mean he would likely want 10.5 or 11 on a short term one.

Sorry, but Subban is not worth Toews and Kane type money, and he's getting into that territory with this deal.

There are no details on TSN of what his asking price was in negotiations. There is only his asking price in arbitration.

Why would he ask for less in arbitration than he would in negotiations with the Habs before hand?

That doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

Well usually players will take less for longer deals.

So if he wanted 9 mil over 8 years, that would mean he would likely want 10.5 or 11 on a short term one.

Sorry, but Subban is not worth Toews and Kane type money, and he's getting into that territory with this deal.

Nope he is signing for 6 UFA years. His offer submitted in arbitration was only for 1 RFA year. UFA years are worth more than RFA years.

Overpaid him but they had to do what they had to do to keep him.

$9 mill is a clear overpayment when Weber who is a lot better is getting paid $7.8 mill. I'm pretty sure this makes PK the highest paid dman in the world. He is the most electric dman but a bit overpriced. Good deal though in general.

Time. Evolution. Inflation.

MB is a moron in the first place for giving PK a bridge contract two years ago. He could have locked him up for a lot less...

Subban isn't worth the contract right now but look at what Toews and Kane got...set a new standard for everyone. 7 or 8 mil isn't that much anymore. As already seen, from this off-season and onward top players are going to really cash in...

But he's not going to be worth 9 mil at age 31, 32, and 33...

Yes except he is likely going to be worth a lot more than 9mil at that time. We are talking about what the cap will be 5 years from now, it could very well be 85-90mil.

Yes except he could be worth a lot more than 9mil at that time. We can talking about what the cap will be 5 years from now, it could very well be 85-90mil.

If it is, then the NHL is making the same mistakes it just corrected.

There are still too many teams in financial trouble to be raising the cap that high. I doubt that happens.

So many of you don't get it. PK asked for $8.5 FOR A ONE YEAR DEAL AS A RFA.

He got a long term deal for $9. All this nonsense how he got more than he asked for makes no sense at all.

A contract that takes him to age 33 should have a lower cap hit than 9 mil. That's the point.

Come on. You can't look at Keith's contract and compare with other skaters. Even he knows he should be earning a helluva lot more money than he is right now. I mean... he only earns half of what Toews and Kane get.

I know, I was just pointing out what a steal Keith (& Hjalmarsson's) contract is. If Keith was a free agent this summer he'd get $10 million per season easily.

If it is, then the NHL is making the same mistakes it just corrected.

There are still too many teams in financial trouble to be raising the cap that high. I doubt that happens.

The NHL just hit record revenues this year and its expected that that number should also climb. The cap is going to keep going higher with revenues. The bottom teams (financially speaking) are also making money through the massive TV deals and revenue sharing. Charles Wang's Islanders are spending 60M this season, what more proof do you need? :P

A contract that takes him to age 33 should have a lower cap hit than 9 mil. That's the point.

Why? He is signing away his prime from ages 25-33. Those will likely be his best years and he is committing them all to Montreal.

Archived