The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Re-signing)PK Subban re-ups in montreal for 8 years

More for term? Figured job security lowered asking prices. Montreal could 've had this guy for a bargain if they didn't drive out negotiations. I would not have given him 9 mil, not even close.

I don't think MTL wanted to sign him to a four or five year deal and have Subban walk out for big money as a UFA. I think it cost more because MTL wanted the long term deal more than Subban did.

I guess he can afford more of his sharp suits now!

This deal really doesn't make a lot of sense. His ASKING price was $8.5 million so that means he must've been willing to accept less. Perhaps $8 million? The 8 year deal should mean he receives less because of job security, but he receives more instead? The habs botched this one! He could've been had for less if Bergevin didn't try to pull a Gillis and try to rip a guy off

I guess he can afford more of his sharp suits now!

This deal really doesn't make a lot of sense. His ASKING price was $8.5 million so that means he must've been willing to accept less. Perhaps $8 million? The 8 year deal should mean he receives less because of job security, but he receives more instead? The habs botched this one! He could've been had for less if Bergevin didn't try to pull a Gillis and try to rip a guy off

His asking price was $8.5 for a single season in which he was still a RFA. The $9m reflects buying 6 of his UFA years. If you look at how it's structured he's actually making $7m for the next. 2 seasons. (Whereas he would have made $8.5m for a single season if he got what he asked for from the arbritrator). It's funny how everyone confuses his 1 year asking price for his 8 year number

It's high now bit a few years down the road with the cap going up, it'll be average for players like him.

The cap isn't guaranteed to go up. And these long term high cap-hit contracts rarely work, something invariably goes wrong at some point. Good for Subban though, dude is partying it up tonight big time.

Me thinks there were some hurt feelings during Bergevin's lowball offer/arbritration. Why else would he end up with 1m more than what he was asking? Probably wanted out.

This guy covered it pretty damn well:

His asking price was $8.5 for a single season in which he was still a RFA. The $9m reflects buying 6 of his UFA years. If you look at how it's structured he's actually making $7m for the next. 2 seasons. (Whereas he would have made $8.5m for a single season if he got what he asked for from the arbritrator). It's funny how everyone confuses his 1 year asking price for his 8 year number

To the people dumping on DeNiro, If he was asking $8.5 for 1 year, why is he getting MORE for a longer term? If anything it should have been less but given the security of a long term deal.

What happened is they played chicken with Subban and his contract, and Montreal blinked. It's that simple.

To the people dumping on DeNiro, If he was asking $8.5 for 1 year, why is he getting MORE for a longer term? If anything it should have been less but given the security of a long term deal.

What happened is they played chicken with Subban and his contract, and Montreal blinked. It's that simple.

Because they are buying 6 of his UFA years. If Subban had gone to market as a UFA in two years he almost certainly would have signed for a cap hit higher than $9m a year.

It's the exact same situation as Lars Eller. Eller was scheduled for arbitration. Montreal reportedly offered $1.6m for ONE YEAR. Eller requested $3.1m for ONE YEAR. In the end they avoided arbitration with Eller signing a FOUR YEAR deal with an average cap hit of $3.6m a year. Why more than he was asking? It wasn't out of the goodness of their hearts or that Eller had hurt feelings over Montreal's offer to the arbitrator. It was Because they were buying 3 of his UFA years rather than just making an offer for one RFA year.

It's that simple.

Reported actual terms, strange breakdown if you ask me, why the heavy part in the middle, why would it go down in 2020, a promise to renegotiate then?

2014-15 $7m

2015-16 $7m

2016-17 $11m

2017-18 $11m

2018-19 $10m

2019-20 $10m

2020-21 $8m

2021-22 $8m

It makes sense to me. The first 2 years are his RFA years so he is making less. Years 3-6 he will be age 27-32 so those SHOULD be his most productive years. Years 7-8 he will be age 33-34 and may start to be slowing down production wise so his salary will dip a little accordingly.

Archived