The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toyota Tacoma vs Nissan Frontier?

KFBR392

I'm looking to lease one of these two vehicles. I need a smallish/mid size truck for work, something decent on gas, 4x4 and 4 doors. These are about my only two options really. I don't need much in the way of bells and whistles.

The tacoma feels nicer inside, looks better outside - but is more expensive. About 5-6 grand more. The Nissan is better priced, has a few more practical features that I could use for work, and doesn't hold it's value quite as well - but still a lot better than most domestics. Mileage/power seems similar between the two.

Lease rates are fairly similar.. the Nissan having a higher interest rate (5.9 vs 3.9) but a lower base price which actually makes the payment about $40 less per month. The buyout on the Tacoma is about 13.5k vs 11k on the Nissan. I'm not sure at this point whether I'll buy it out or just go into another lease, that's going to depend on how it affects my tax returns.

Does anyone here own either of these? Any suggestions that could help my decision making process? Right now I'd rather have the Tacoma, but the Frontier seems like it might be a better value.

I was recently looking seriously into a Frontier. They're hard to find used within the last few years. Tacoma is no doubt higher quality, but if your not doing anything heavy duty, the Nissan should be just fine. It's significantly cheaper both price tag and insurance wise. I ended up getting an 09 Xterra, was a bit cheaper than the frontier, and easier to find in my year/price range. I really like it. Imagine it drives similar, pretty sure its the same drive train. Tight feel, aggressive, not overly powerful, especially uphill, but adequate. Not the greatest on gas.

I think the Frontier is much better looking than the Tacoma imo. Especially the 4 door with the roof racks. Pro-4x is seeeeeexy.

Also, not sure if its the same for Toyota, but my Xterra always locks all other doors when you get outta the car. Can be really annoying. Frontier probably the same.

Truck..

4x4..

Decent on gas..

Decent for 4x4 trucks?

Honestly, the brand doesn't matter in this case.

Go with specs, look up recalls, and whichever one retains it's value better if planning on selling it down the road.. and which ones have the most/best certified service centres nearby.

In my case, because I have a family, I couldn't get a decent truck with a huge bed, and we're not short people (i.e. for a supercab/extended cab to be comfortable) I had to get a crew cab. I would also consider a Tundra too if you're limiting this to Toyota vs. Nissan. I tend to be partial toward Ford trucks, but in the end, it doesn't matter.

My impression is that a Toyota will give you better value, but, then again, that's to be expected for 5-6 grand. As a general standard, Toyotas are known to be better that almost any other car. It's mostly subjective, but the collective subjective opinion points towards Toyota being very likeable.

My impression is that a Toyota will give you better value, but, then again, that's to be expected for 5-6 grand. As a general standard, Toyotas are known to be better that almost any other car. It's mostly subjective, but the collective subjective opinion points towards Toyota being very likeable.

I don't think it's very subjective.. vehicles manufactured by Japanese companies like Toyota and Honda tend to retain their value more (less depreciation) to be sold at higher mileage, when people are ready to buy another car, because of longer vehicle life expectancy.. which comes from better functioning vehicles.

I have two Fords, one truck, one hybrid SUV.. both have engines made typically for Japanese produced cars in their respective classes of vehicle.

American brands are doing better due to looking outside for the technology, because of decades of thinking that brand name and marketing alone will shield people from crappy cars. They mostly outsourced their technology et al. to other Asian countries like China. Isn't surprising that such cheap crap depreciates faster, because the lifespan is significantly shorter.. quality of vehicle is worse.

I personally would choose Tacoma over Frontier without a second thought. The TACO has proven itself to be the clear winner in it's class over the last 20 years.

Toyota perfected the old solid front axle Hi-lux from their first generation and since 95 have never looked back.

Nissan frontiers are not even close to the legendary reliability of the TACO. If you are into light trailing or even some medium grade off-roading the Tacoma will not miss a beat transitioning from the pavement daily drives into the back country. Not the biggest inside mind you but they handle better than any of the other trucks. I have driven them all and prefer the smaller cab tighter drive feel.

A friend just recently bought the Frontier with the off road package, impressed with the truck but really misses his 4 Runner lol.

I personally would choose Tacoma over Frontier without a second thought. The TACO has proven itself to be the clear winner in it's class over the last 20 years.

Toyota perfected the old solid front axle Hi-lux from their first generation and since 95 have never looked back.

Nissan frontiers are not even close to the legendary reliability of the TACO. If you are into light trailing or even some medium grade off-roading the Tacoma will not miss a beat transitioning from the pavement daily drives into the back country. Not the biggest inside mind you but they handle better than any of the other trucks. I have driven them all and prefer the smaller cab tighter drive feel.

A friend just recently bought the Frontier with the off road package, impressed with the truck but really misses his 4 Runner lol.

The Tacoma is a good single-guy or light tow truck, no doubt.

I had considered a Tacoma because it's mileage is, in pretty much every equal comparison, is better than a Tundra, for obvious reasons.. likewise for obvious reasons, the Tundra can tow quite a bit more, and I'm not planning on skimping on a 5th wheel trailer -- a nice slider. So if I was going Toyota, I'd have got the Tundra instead. Obviously not everyone is in the same circumstances though.

I rented a Nissan Frontier when we were in Orlando for a week a couple years ago. The rental rate was super low as they were running a special so it was one of the only vehicles they had left when we showed up. I didnt really want it but it turned out to be a great vehicle while we were there. 4 adults fit comfortably. Was about a 2011 model. 4 door 4x4 with minimal options. For the type of vehicle it got great mileage. Im not a truck guy. Have no real use for one but I could see myself driving that one. Easily.

I have a Hilux (the one from the Top Gear episode above) and it is awesome.

There's a Hilux-Surf around the corner from my house, imported from Australia I think, that I always have to stop and admire. Beat to sht and at least 25 yrs old but the engine purrs and rumbles and the body looks like it could go another 25 under similar conditions.

For what it's worth my brother in law has a Tacoma with a small lift and some decent mud tires. I've driven it a few times and personally I don't really care for it. I find the interior to be pretty sub par, it's just weird layout and hard to get comfortable in and it seems to lack power.

I've also driven my buddy's frontier a few times and wasn't all that impressed with it either. The 4 wheel drive seemed a bit clunky and everything just feels cheap. It kinda feels like powerfist tools for lack of a better description. I'd take my F-150 over both any day. If your dead set on getting an import though I'd just skip on through to the Tundra.

My brother had an 1980's Toyota. Two major accidents, (fortunately he was never hurt) and tons of km's and you just couldn't kill the thing.

When he started his contracting firm he started leasing Ford Pickups. Nothing but problems. He kept complaining that none of the Ford's had the durability that his old 1962 Ford had. I brought up his old Toyota. I pointed out how he couldn't kill the thing.

Sure enough a couple of months later. I see a brand spanking new Toyota Tundra, and he said he couldn't be happier. Now his son has a Tacoma. No problems for either one. I'm considering getting a Tacoma myself, its they are hard to find with low km's.

I have a 2010 Frontier crew cab.

Get's the job done, haven't had any issues with it since I bought it, just normal maintenance.

If I had a choice, I would choose the Tacoma, but the frontier was quite a bit cheaper.

Both reliable, both nice, if you're willing to pay for the name buy the Tacoma.

If you are leasing it and not planning to buy it out, go with the better price. ~$40/per month is basically $500 per year. That's nothing to sneeze at over the course of a lease. Then once the lease is up, get a new one.

This. Money is money.

Neither is likely to break under the lease and if it does... warranty.

I wouldn't purchase a new Taco anyway until they bring a @#$%'ing compact diesel here.

Otherwise, get a used/imported, diesel Hilux or see about doing a diesel engine swap (Hilux/VW) in to an older Taco (perhaps you can find one cheap with a blown motor?).

Or you could wait for the impending GM mid-size pickup with diesel.

Archived