The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Racist Caption on Jordan Subban from Vancouver Province

Rbk

Has anyone seen this racist caption from Jason Botchford's article in the Province?

This is absolutely ridiculous as they refer to Jordan Subban as the "dark guy in the middle."

10229668.jpg

"Vancouver Canucks celebrate goal by Jordan Subban (dark guy in the middle) against San Jose Sharks in NHL pre season game at Rogers Arena in Vancouver, B.C., on September 23, 2014."

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Botchford+Gillis+draft+picks+finally+coming/10229665/story.htmlpost-23287-0-86909300-1411539606_thumb.j

okay thats kinda bad.. usually I think its just people being over sensitive, but there are so many better adjectives that you can use other than dark; better yet, why not just say "pictured middle", because if they don't know who either Jordan or Malcom or P.K. are then chances are they wont be looking through the hockey/sports section of the province.

Really? You call that racist? How is that different than pointing out a white guy huddled around dark guys?

Get real pal

When was the last time you saw someone in a photo on a news site referred to as 'the white guy in the middle'?

I don't like it, especially from a newspaper, but I have to say I wouldn't be offended at all if the colours were reversed. I also wouldn't have thought a newspaper would print that though, in the interest of not wanting draw negative attention if for no other reason. Just because it doesn't offend me (or you) doesn't mean it's not offensive. Sensitive people are sensitive, it's also valid.

Archived