The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Travel Thread

Jägermeister

I know this none of my business, but are you super rich or something?

I mean from your posts it seems like you have travelled half of the world already..

Priorities.

Some young people party at clubs/bars/raves 2+ times a week at $200+ per night.

Some young people save up down payments for homes.

Some young people spend all their time/money going to school.

Some young people blow it on stuff (cars, clothes, electronics etc).

Some young people travel.

If you're smart, you get a healthy mix of everything.

Already been to Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii (Maui), down the West coast of the US, Winnipeg and Toronto.

The top places on my travel "to do" list are Italy, New Zealand and South America. But those are going to have to wait until the kids are a LOT older.

After that probably the Canadian East coast and Quebec and Germany, France and the Scandinavian countries. Would also go back to Hawaii in a heartbeat. Africa would be pretty dang cool too.

I would love to go to Nepal one day, that an India and Tibet.

I've been to China before as a kid, the places I went to in China were a culture shock as I did go into the country side but seeing the vibes in India are just something I want to be apart of one day.

After that when I'm older in my late 20s, I'd love to visit South America.

The annapurna circuit is amazing, we took 17 days to hike it. You reach almost 18,000 ft, the highest path in the world without requiring climbing gear. The day you cross the pass you can only stay up there for a few minutes cause the altitude is so high.

Only negative was the Israeli's who were also doing it. Total wanks.

I've been to London, Paris, Iceland, and a few other places. Iceland was my favorite. It was so magical. The Blue Lagoon was gorgeous, and climbing through underground caves was fun! I also enjoyed waking up super early to walk around in Reykjavík. So peaceful, no one really out at 5-6am.

Aside from going to other countries, a lot of us don't get to experience what we have in our beautiful backyard.

Was able to do so after a short trip to Europe this summer. Only a quick 10 day road trip through southern BC but I was able to see some absolute stunning views. Including a 3 night camping trip with 24km hike to the highest peak in the Canadian rockies. Mt.Robson.

2716947653_8e42d452fb.jpg

I have traveled to:

Ottawa

Fort Nelson

Disneyland (in a broken down bus - wheel flew off while in motion and we nearly crashed)

Tijuana

Blaine, Bellingham, Seattle

ain't nobody lining up to hear my stories

So thank you, for sharing yours...at least I can visualize and pretend through others' eyes.

I do agree with Maui though....in laws sent us there for our honeymoon and it was breathtaking and beautiful. Loved it. Would like to live there.

I can say though, through NOT traveling abroad I have made the very most of our own, extremely beautiful BC. Spent many summers in the Okanagan, Loon Lake, at Whistler/Blackcomb and camping in various lakeside spots. I don't feel deprived in any way as a result. I can park my butt up at Garry Point and feel like I'm "away" from it all.

I have been to a few places and the only place I won't go back is Cuba because of how awful the food is.

Been to:

Mazatlan

Cancun

Mayan Riveria

Playa Del Carmen

Cuba

Bahamas

Bermuda

New York

Boston

California around 6 times (Canucks road trip coming up)

Florida around 10 times (Grandparents have a condo)

Just booked a vacation with my wife to Grand Sirenis Mayan Riveria at the end of February. I prefer the Mayan/Tulum area because it's a party if you want but it can be very quiet on the other side of most resorts.

I love traveling. I usually go away every Christmas. Unfortunately it just wasn't in the cards this year. It's going to be weird since the only time I've been home for Christmas in the last six years I was incredibly sick. I actually don't even remember what regular Christmas is like anymore. I've spent the last few in South America, the Caribbean, Central America, Europe, and California (when the Canucks road trip coincided with Christmas break).

I blew off grad in May to go to Northern Europe for three weeks. It was 100% the right choice. Moscow was definitely the highlight. It's not particularly high on my favourite places but there was something really surreal about it and it was probably the coolest place I've been. I was surprised how much I liked Estonia but I have a thing for traveling places no one I know goes to so it makes sense.

Probably not going to go away again for a year but I do have a few more trips planned. I'm going to the maritimes next september. That'll be interesting since I haven't done any traveling in Canada for 12 or 13 years and have never been east of Alberta. Then I'm going to Dubai for Christmas. I'm already pretty stoked for that since I haven't been to the Middle East yet. I'm also planning on heading down to Denver some time soon to see the Avs play someone other than the Canucks and catch a Broncos game.

I wouldn't call them recommendations but there definitely are some places I've loved and hated.

I'm not the type of person to go to the same place twice but I would make exceptions for:

1) Uruguay - It's by far my favourite of all the places I've been

2) Ireland - It was by far and away #1 for years until I went to Uruguay

3) England - Been a few times and will hopefully go back before the last of the family passes away

4) Argentina

5) Russia - It will probably never happen but I'd love to actually see where that part of the family is from

6) Chile - Not actually to visit though. It's just my dream to one day get a mining job there.

7/8) Italy/France - They're lumped together and make the list by virtue of me having been back to both. I'm not planning on going back again though.

I definitely have places I wouldn't ever even consider going back to as well:

1) Mexico - I've never hated a place so much. I'd go back to Colombia for every vacation for the rest of my life before going back to Mexico.

2) Vegas - Most boring trip I've ever been on. It was only for a long weekend but it was the longest 3.5 days of my life.

3) Germany - Just one of those places that, in spite of being perfectly nice, I hated for absolutely no reason. I would actually recommend it to people because it's worth seeing. It just wasn't for me.

I'm kinda peeved I can only go for 3 months, unfortunately my schedule is super tight around the summer, I would have loved to have been able to spend more time. I think being able to slow down is really the key in backpacking trips, my first trip to Europe was killer, but it was so structured (like down to every day), we ended up having to miss out on a few things if we didn't manage our time well enough. This trip is basically going to be planned as we go, sort of like what you did, if we find a good bunch of people and a nice spot, just going to hang out for a bit longer.

I'm definitely going to have to learn to ride a motorcycle, just heard too many positive reviews about the experience of cruising around over there. I have doubts in my ability to be able to pick it up, but it sounds killer.

Thanks for the tip! Hadn't heard of Cat Ba, so it's definitely something I'll check out some more. If you have any other recommendations about Vietnam I'd love to hear, so far the only places I have down on my list are Ho Chih Minh and Halong, so I definitely need to find a few more places there. Some info on Laos would also be really appreciated, I've got a gist of what's happening over there, but I don't know anybody that actually went there, so some more info would always be helpful.

I went to Laos for a couple weeks in February and I really enjoyed it. Took a slow boat down the Mekong from Huay Xai (border near Chaing Rai and Chiang Mai, Thailand) to Luang Prabang. The roads aren't great there.. it takes like 6 hours to go a couple hundred km, but that was part of the fun for me. Learned a lot at the Plain of Jars, especially Vietnam War history. Things they don't teach in school here. There were remains of old bombs everywhere. In the distance we could hear the government destroying mines and bombs that are still left unexploded from the war.

Vang Vieng has some nice scenery. The government has cracked down on the crazy party tubing of years past, but you can still go tubing or kayaking and have some drinks. Lots of caves to explore and rock climbing/caving in the area. I didn't go to Vientiane, but I went south to Pakse and rented a motorbike for a day to check out the Bolaven Plateau. There were some nice waterfalls in that area. My last stop was the 4000 islands where I basically relaxed in a hammock for 4 days watching sunsets on the Mekong. After that I crossed into Cambodia. I would definitely go back, but probably in the wetter season when the rice fields are green. It was pretty dry in February.

I went to Laos for a couple weeks in February and I really enjoyed it. Took a slow boat down the Mekong from Huay Xai (border near Chaing Rai and Chiang Mai, Thailand) to Luang Prabang. The roads aren't great there.. it takes like 6 hours to go a couple hundred km, but that was part of the fun for me. Learned a lot at the Plain of Jars, especially Vietnam War history. Things they don't teach in school here. There were remains of old bombs everywhere. In the distance we could hear the government destroying mines and bombs that are still left unexploded from the war.

Vang Vieng has some nice scenery. The government has cracked down on the crazy party tubing of years past, but you can still go tubing or kayaking and have some drinks. Lots of caves to explore and rock climbing/caving in the area. I didn't go to Vientiane, but I went south to Pakse and rented a motorbike for a day to check out the Bolaven Plateau. There were some nice waterfalls in that area. My last stop was the 4000 islands where I basically relaxed in a hammock for 4 days watching sunsets on the Mekong. After that I crossed into Cambodia. I would definitely go back, but probably in the wetter season when the rice fields are green. It was pretty dry in February.

Thanks for the info!

I've head about all the mine fields, which seems like it would be very interesting to learn about, definitely something you can't experience in most places

I've heard good things about Vang Vieng, supposedly it's crazy cheap too, even by Southeast Asia standards. The party tubing still sounds like a good enough time, looked into it a bit after reading your post, thats definitely something I'll be doing.

I think we'll be rolling in to Laos around the end of April, so the dry season should be coming to an end by then.

Just spent about $400 on hostels for my Australia trip today, it's really starting to come together. Decided I'm going to check out Noosa (for the Steve Irwin Zoo nearby), 1770 (heard it's a cool little hippy town), and Magnetic Island as well.

I am one who likes to do things and travel by myself. In 2005, I went to London and Paris for about 3 weeks.

In London, some of the things I loved was:

Tower of London - I am so into history and haunted places.

Sitting in Kensington Park every Morning - So peaceful, and a time to gather thoughts.

Shopping - London has some great shopping places.

I did a bunch of other things in London, but those are the things that stand out to me.

After London, I took the train to Paris. While in Paris, I:

Went to Mass at Sacre-Coeur on Easter - That was really memorable.

Ate at the bakeries 3 times a day and drank wine - There's a bakery on just about every corner.

Walked up the stairs of the Eiffel Tower - There's not much to hang onto, and was.. oh my god, as I

proceeded to walk up, and then children came running down. And I was holding on like crazy, all

freaked out, telling myself not to look down!

Went to the Louvre - So fascinating! I could spend all day and night looking at art.

I also stumbled upon prostitutes at 10am while trying to find a street that had a bunch of jewellery stores

that I saw the previous day. I remember going into a cheap area, and then seeing a woman on a

motorcycle sitting all seductively. I really wanted to take a picture, but knew it may not go over well, so I

took a picture of a cheap clothing shop, and proceeded on my way to find the street with the jewellery

stores.

In Paris, I did not have the same experiences that others have had. People could not tell that I was a

foreigner. I got asked for directions a lot from people speaking broken French, and got hit on many times

by French men - which freaked me out. Besides being freaked out, I would get so annoyed and speak

back to them in English, thinking it would turn them off - wrong. It was like an added bonus for them.

They were like - American! And get all excited.

When I was flying back home, I knew I was over the limit for purchases, and did not want to pay duty. While waiting in line at Customs in the US, I was sensing the agents, which one I want to talk to, and got lucky. I proceeded my way up to this young male agent, and decided to organize my things - separating the purchases by London and Paris in front of the agent. He looks at me like.. and I give him my declaration form, and he says - You know you are over the limit? I am like - yeah, you just don't understand.. I went to Europe for three weeks - London and Paris, the Pound was almost double and the Euro was at 1.3. He smiles and says - Just go! I knew I could get away with that.

I am one who likes to do things and travel by myself. In 2005, I went to London and Paris for about 3 weeks.

In London, some of the things I loved was:

Tower of London - I am so into history and haunted places.

Sitting in Kensington Park every Morning - So peaceful, and a time to gather thoughts.

Shopping - London has some great shopping places.

I did a bunch of other things in London, but those are the things that stand out to me.

After London, I took the train to Paris. While in Paris, I:

Went to Mass at Sacre-Coeur on Easter - That was really memorable.

Ate at the bakeries 3 times a day and drank wine - There's a bakery on just about every corner.

Walked up the stairs of the Eiffel Tower - There's not much to hang onto, and was.. oh my god, as I

proceeded to walk up, and then children came running down. And I was holding on like crazy, all

freaked out, telling myself not to look down!

Went to the Louvre - So fascinating! I could spend all day and night looking at art.

I also stumbled upon prostitutes at 10am while trying to find a street that had a bunch of jewellery stores

that I saw the previous day. I remember going into a cheap area, and then seeing a woman on a

motorcycle sitting all seductively. I really wanted to take a picture, but knew it may not go over well, so I

took a picture of a cheap clothing shop, and proceeded on my way to find the street with the jewellery

stores.

In Paris, I did not have the same experiences that others have had. People could not tell that I was a

foreigner. I got asked for directions a lot from people speaking broken French, and got hit on many times

by French men - which freaked me out. Besides being freaked out, I would get so annoyed and speak

back to them in English, thinking it would turn them off - wrong. It was like an added bonus for them.

They were like - American! And get all excited.

When I was flying back home, I knew I was over the limit for purchases, and did not want to pay duty. While waiting in line at Customs in the US, I was sensing the agents, which one I want to talk to, and got lucky. I proceeded my way up to this young male agent, and decided to organize my things - separating the purchases by London and Paris in front of the agent. He looks at me like.. and I give him my declaration form, and he says - You know you are over the limit? I am like - yeah, you just don't understand.. I went to Europe for three weeks - London and Paris, the Pound was almost double and the Euro was at 1.3. He smiles and says - Just go! I knew I could get away with that.

Sadly, despite being English and Welsh, I have not been to the UK in my two trips to Europe. Definitely something I'll have to get over and do one day, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Paris is awesome, but I also hate it. Had some pretty crummy experiences while we were there, here's a summary I posted in another thread:

Ugh Paris.

Went to the Louvre. Closed.

Went to the Catacombs. Closed.

Went to the Eiffel Tower. Top section closed.

Went to the bar. $8 mini-can of beer.

Went to a public toilet stall. An alarm went off and the toilet folded into the wall while I was in mid-pee.

Went to Notre Dame. 3 hour wait.

And yet I can't wait to go back.

Love getting away with not paying duty. First trip I brought home 3L of Jagermeister from Munich (limit is 1.14L). Once we got to Canadian customs I told the guy how much I had and he just kind of gave me a look and said "Only? I would have let you bring more!" and waved me through. I was fully expecting having to pay, but it still would have saved me money. Did the same thing last time as well with no duty charge.

Love getting away with not paying duty. First trip I brought home 3L of Jagermeister from Munich (limit is 1.14L). Once we got to Canadian customs I told the guy how much I had and he just kind of gave me a look and said "Only? I would have let you bring more!" and waved me through. I was fully expecting having to pay, but it still would have saved me money. Did the same thing last time as well with no duty charge.

Tax evader.

I'd steal booze from a baby if I had the chance.

Yes, I'm sure you would...it's just that you also act to protect yourself from being stolen from by the government...caught in a double-standard, indeed.

C'mon people, there is so many things you could bash the government for, and you choose to bash on something that can actually help improve our country?

Figure it out.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/362906-police-state-kanada-legally-stealing-from-others/

Thanks for the info!

I've head about all the mine fields, which seems like it would be very interesting to learn about, definitely something you can't experience in most places

I've heard good things about Vang Vieng, supposedly it's crazy cheap too, even by Southeast Asia standards. The party tubing still sounds like a good enough time, looked into it a bit after reading your post, thats definitely something I'll be doing.

I think we'll be rolling in to Laos around the end of April, so the dry season should be coming to an end by then.

Just spent about $400 on hostels for my Australia trip today, it's really starting to come together. Decided I'm going to check out Noosa (for the Steve Irwin Zoo nearby), 1770 (heard it's a cool little hippy town), and Magnetic Island as well.

Hostels are the way to do it in Australia. You should also try camping if you're into that. Could save you more money. Be prepared to easily spend $100 a day there. I didn't do the east coast other than Sydney, but Tasmania is beautiful and seeing Uluru at sunset and sunrise was incredible.

Archived