The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kinder Morgan pipeline activity and protests

Butcher

Wow seriously?

They most certainly DO have jobs and families, but are capable of even more. For, in having families they are taking a stand against corporations that care only about profit and nothing about decimating the land that they extract their resources from or move them through.

They did not break the law...it was actually all thrown out and, if anything KM broke the law as the injunction had clear boundaries laid out and they failed to stay within them. We're wasting time right now....so is it not ok for others to enjoy the same luxury and use theirs as they please?

This is not BC oil....this is the dirtiest of tar sands crud that is simply being exported out. So why do we have to facilitate that?....so that a US based company can profit? We assume all the risk but there is very little in this for us - the cost is far outweighed by what we give up if there is another "mishap". And, as stated, the tanker traffic will increase significantly as a result (from approximately 8 per day to 34!).

I really think they don't, they sure have a lot of time of their hands to be up on that mountain everyday.. And yes they did break the law, which is why many of them were arrested.

And as I said, these protesters really didn't accomplish anything. As much as they spoke and protested, KM still got what they wanted, and did what they needed to do.

While I may not be a fan of pipelines, what's the alternative? Our society is dependent on petroleum and the stuff has to move somewhere somehow. The only other way to move oil in large volumes across land is by rail. I'm sure I know what the residents of Lac Magantic would prefer. With CN derailing another train in Saskatchewan last month, I don't think my faith in oil by rail is very high right now.

The alternative for Alberta is to pipe through the NWT, which is already in discussion, and would work out even better with global warming if it continues. They are at least reasonable and don't want undue profits just for laying down fricken pipe. Let provinces like BC deal with their own NIMBY environmentalist hurdle.

While I may not be a fan of pipelines, what's the alternative? Our society is dependent on petroleum and the stuff has to move somewhere somehow. The only other way to move oil in large volumes across land is by rail. I'm sure I know what the residents of Lac Magantic would prefer. With CN derailing another train in Saskatchewan last month, I don't think my faith in oil by rail is very high right now.

Exactly. These protesters act like they live in the woods and don't use oil in any way.

Right now there's about 60 tankers that come through the burrard inlet a year. If the pipeline expands that'll go up to 480+. Say goodbye to the calm kayaking in deep cove and boating in the ocean close to home. There might not be a spill right away but eventually there will be and you can't clean oil! I was up there last Sunday supporting the protesters and it just happened to be the day David Suzuki was up there.Its a longshot but more people need to stand up to Kinder Morgan. It's not worth risking our environment to boost our economy

Your math doesnt make any sense there are probably tens of thousands of ships each year coming in and out of burard inlet.

I really think they don't, they sure have a lot of time of their hands to be up on that mountain everyday.. And yes they did break the law, which is why many of them were arrested.

And as I said, these protesters really didn't accomplish anything. As much as they spoke and protested, KM still got what they wanted, and did what they needed to do.

The cases have been thrown out as the injunction clearly mapped the area out and cops/Kinder Morgan were completely off with their lines. So they actually did not break the law (and knew that...as they had the maps and knew they were within the law).

KM did not finish test drilling but left "thinking" they had enough for a sample...that remains to be seen.

Perhaps research the facts before engaging in the argument:

More than 100 people were arrested, nearly all of whom faced civil contempt proceedings for violating a court injunction ordering them to keep away from two drilling sites.

The company admitted it provided incorrect GPS co-ordinates when it initially sought the court order. At one location, the co-ordinates were so inaccurate that the actual work site was entirely outside the area covered by the injunction.

Deb Deb Deb all you and your friends are fair weather protesters and so is David Suzuki spending millions of donated dollars to pout and moan only because pipelines are a hot topic and that's the news of the day. When kinder Morgan was first planning this site did you and all your yippy friends probably all drove your vehicles to the protest and will drive back home. Like I said earlier this is nothing new there are literally dozens of pipelines going in and around the lower mainland and this pipeline has been in since 1953 with one accident because of a careless back hoe operator.

edited my grammar

Sellout!

You're in alberta. A slave to the $. How valid is your opinion in BC? Have a great black friday.

Why do people on these boards have a thing against every protest that goes on in Canada? It's a basic right in our democratic society and it needs to be exercised in order to keep people with power in check (or at least try to do so). Whether you agree with the protesters or not, their activism is a microcosm of what needs to continually happen in our society.

A lot of people here on CDC blame the government for being a group of dysfunctional buffoons, and at the same time, you all critique every single protest that goes on and call protesters unproductive members of society who need to go get a job. So, what is it then? If the government can't seem to get anything done, and the people shouldn't be protesting, who's holding who accountable?

These people have every right to protest against something they don't believe is right for our city. It has nothing to do with whether or not you believe in increased volumes of gas/oil being imperative for economic growth.

Why do people on these boards have a thing against every protest that goes on in Canada? It's a basic right in our democratic society and it needs to be exercised in order to keep people with power in check (or at least try to do so). Whether you agree with the protesters or not, their activism is a microcosm of what needs to continually happen in our society.

A lot of people here on CDC blame the government for being a group of dysfunctional buffoons, and at the same time, you all critique every single protest that goes on and call protesters unproductive members of society who need to go get a job. So, what is it then? If the government can't seem to get anything done, and the people shouldn't be protesting, who's holding who accountable?

These people have every right to protest against something they don't believe is right for our city. It has nothing to do with whether or not you believe in increased volumes of gas/oil being imperative for economic growth.

The timing for this protest is off - aside from that - I have no problems with the protest.

No one is disputing their right to protest but the media is giving way too much attention to 100 or 200 protestors. Everry single day the media was at the site showing the police carrying away protestors. These people are the vocal minority who happened to scream the loudest. If the media were not present they would go away.

No one is disputing their right to protest but the media is giving way too much attention to 100 or 200 protestors. Everry single day the media was at the site showing the police carrying away protestors. These people are the vocal minority who happened to scream the loudest. If the media were not present they would go away.

Sure, that may be true, but the news media gives a lot of things way too much attention...right? Besides, this is a PIPELINE issue, of course it's going to get picked up, anything to do with oil/gas, pipelines, spills, etc has been considered to be widely contentious for this province.

And what's wrong with a vocal minority that happens to be "screaming the loudest?" It's obvious, their trying to get the media's attention in order to get the public to become engaged with this issue. It's their own way of trying to persuade public opinion; it's all they have. Environmental groups are know to be the least organized and weakest interest groups when it comes to effecting government decisions. Kinder Morgan has a lot more resources to utilize when trying to influence government given it's size and the amount of money the company probably has.

Bottom line, Kinder Morgan can do things behind the scenes in order to get this pipeline through with its close relationship with the government, and these environmental protesters are attempting to use the media in order to get their voice out. Like I said, it's one of the few options they have when it comes to trying to influence government decisions. They don't have the resources to construct elaborate strategies that focus on trying to block or change government policy like Kinder Morgan (or any large company for that matter) does.

They are not there for the media attention, so you're wrong (don't speak like your words are facts...they're your ideas). I know some of these people and they are passionate about this...it's not just a random protest and they've shown up to participate. They feel strongly about this.

The media is there because this is an issue that needs coverage. You do know the Mayor is also opposed to and vocal on this as well? So when a city says "no" but that carries no weight and is ignored, that's something newsworthy. SFU Professors are also involved...it's their backyard.

Because YOU say it's too much attention doesn't make it so. And believe me, these people have a lot of support that couldn't be there...doesn't mean there aren't many others interested in this.

When foreign corporations pull more weight here than the people who actually live and work here, that's a problem worth looking into. When our police force is used as security to protect them vs the public, that's a problem. Those people are the taxpayers paying their salaries.

And now they've taped off the wrong boundaries...that's newsworthy. A court injunction was NOT followed and that speaks volumes in itself. They feel they're above the law and tried to skirt around it.....do you really want these people doing business here? If they make mistakes from square one and with the GPS coordinates do you have confidence in them safely expanding things and running dirty oil through here? I don't.

They are not there for the media attention, so you're wrong (don't speak like your words are facts...they're your ideas). I know some of these people and they are passionate about this...it's not just a random protest and they've shown up to participate. They feel strongly about this.

The media is there because this is an issue that needs coverage. You do know the Mayor is also opposed to and vocal on this as well? So when a city says "no" but that carries no weight and is ignored, that's something newsworthy. SFU Professors are also involved...it's their backyard.

The mayor of Burnaby, just like Robertson, has absolutely no influence on the pipeline. So he can be against it all he wants at the end of the day there's nothing he can do about it.

But i'm sure it got Robertson some votes from idiots that believed him lol so guess he's got that going for him

Im sorry but everything youve said in this post is wrong.

A large percentage of these protesters are committed passionate people following their beliefs not the dollar.

Youte statements are very dismissive and give away sentiment of apathy and status quo mentality.

Im sorry but everything youve said in this post is wrong.

A large percentage of these protesters are committed passionate people following their beliefs not the dollar.

Youte statements are very dismissive and give away sentiment of apathy and status quo mentality.

It's not necessarily status quo. It's that BC is good at throwing money away that people in Canada can't afford, all because of politics, so it makes no sense to give these people undeserved attention. If BC could present some economic growth, manifested not in fantasy scenarios, but by actually showing decent economic growth, people wouldn't be following in Alberta's footsteps, they'd be following the money. It's really simple.

I've seen money equated to something unimportant in this thread somewhere, the only type of person which could say that is either retired/never worked, or on welfare.

I've seen money equated to something unimportant in this thread somewhere, the only type of person which could say that is either retired/never worked, or on welfare.

Money is important for survival but to make it the driving force and place it above all else (as some do) isn' always the best option.

And you're wrong in limiting it to those who are retired/have never worked/are on welfare. I've worked my entire life but money is NOT important to me beyond having enough to pay the bills. I don't shop unless I need something, I use things until they wear out vs getting the newest model and limit what I do. I don't get caught up in keeping up with the latest trends.

This issue deserved the attention it got. Police should NOT be used as private security for large foreign corporations that are breaking the law - one that they called upon. Why should our resources be tied up in serving them? Is it not a big waste of our money to have KM using our court system for injunctions that they didn't even follow? So all those man hours spent in arrests were for nothing. What a joke.

Tell me again who the money wasters are here? It certainly isn't those providing the coverage for protestors who, by the way, had it right all along. Seems the dirty welfare hippies know more than you think they do.....they knew the lines were out in accordance with the ruling and had read the documents. I applaud them for taking time out of their busy days to do this. And the waste of money is in catering to a corporation that the city doesn't even want here.

The point is this: these protestors do echo the sentiments of a growing group of people who feel that our Province is not for sale. That Government is quick to barrel through and hand over the land to foreign corporations looking to make a buck off our resources and allow them to decimate it in the process. People using the land as their passageway. They don't have OUR best interests at heart, it's all about their profit. We should not be sacrificing clean air and water for some to line their wallets. It's important to some of us.....we value what we have here and don't take it for granted.

Money is NOT the be all to end all. Clean water, air and uncontaminated land is right up there at the top for some of us.

Money is important for survival but to make it the driving force and place it above all else (as some do) isn' always the best option.

And you're wrong in limiting it to those who are retired/have never worked/are on welfare. I've worked my entire life but money is NOT important to me beyond having enough to pay the bills. I don't shop unless I need something, use things until they wear out vs getting the newest model and limit what I do. I don't get caught up in keeping up with the latest trends.

This issue deserved the attention it got. Police should NOT be used as private security for large foreign corporations that are breaking the law - one that they called upon. Why should our resources be tied up in serving them? Is it not a big waste of our money to have KM using our court system for injunctions that they didn't even follow? So all those man hours spent in arrests were for nothing. What a joke.

Tell me again who the money wasters are here? It certainly isn't those providing the coverage for protestors who, by the way, had it right all along. Seems the dirty welfare hippies know more than you think they do.....they knew the lines were out in accordance with the ruling and had read the documents. I applaud them for taking time out of their busy days to do this. And the waste of money is in catering to a corporation that the city doesn't even want here.

Well Black Friday was just yesterday :lol:

Archived