The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former NHLer Steve Montador found dead at age 35

TheRick

http://www.tsn.ca/former-nhler-montador-found-dead-at-35-1.208116

Former NHL defenceman Steve Montador was found dead on Sunday morning, Peel Regional Police confirmed.

The 35-year-old was pronounced deceased at his home in Mississauga, Ontario after being found unresponsive by a friend.

"Foul play is not suspected, pending the outcome of an autopsy," said Constable Fiona Thivierge, a police spokesperson in a statement.

Montador was a veteran of 571 career NHL games, having spent time with the Calgary Flames, Florida Panthers, Anaheim Ducks, Boston Bruins and Buffalo Sabres. He last played in the NHL during the 2011-12 season, suiting up for 52 games with the Chicago Blackhawks, but his season ended that March with a concussion. He was bought out by the team following the 2012-13 season, where he had played for the team's AHL-affiliate Rockford Ice Hogs, two years into a four-year deal.

Signing with Zagreb Medvescak for the 2013-14 season, Montador appeared in just 11 games for the KHL club.

He told CSN Chicago in March of 2013 that he experienced depression and anxiety while recuperating from his concussion.

I can see why people have a hard time with a number of different things and being taken away from something they love to do and not sure if youd ever get back the chance," Montador said. "Theres a lot of uncertainty, a lot of fear, a lot of anxiety and depression that comes with that."

The Vancouver native was a member of the 2003-04 Flames team that went on an improbable run to the Stanley Cup Final, losing in seven games to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Police say that the matter is being treated as a sudden death investigation and not a criminal one.

I remember him from the Flames 2003 - 2004 Stanley Cup run. Really terrible news to hear! RIP

not sure i understand this your depressed because your hockey career is done why hot chill on a tropical beach somewhere not like your poor dam the things id do if i had 100k would be so amazing let alone 2-3 mill

Sounds like he had money issues. Not all athletes are like Trevor Linden who invested in real estate and smart business ventures.

not sure i understand this your depressed because your hockey career is done why hot chill on a tropical beach somewhere not like your poor dam the things id do if i had 100k would be so amazing let alone 2-3 mill

Can't judge a man unless you've walked a mile in his shoes.

Sounds like he had money issues. Not all athletes are like Trevor Linden who invested in real estate and smart business ventures.

Where does it say he had money problems? Studies have shown that many retirees go through periods of depression once they can no longer work. Unfortunately his may have gotten the best of him.

you obviously have no idea what depression is.

Money is not a cure.

Probably because for some, money isn't everything.

And this is what's wrong with much of the the world's view of depression...you can't fix it through money/stuff. People tend to respond to depression with "just cheer up" or "you have everything" but it isn't that easy and that just reinforces that others don't get it. It serves to make them feel even more isolated. Thanks for providing a good reminder of how not to address someone with depression.

So sad to hear this news.

Depression really has nothing to do with what you've got, it's a completely different beast than "just feeling sad/down". It's unfortunate that people still view depression in this sort of light though, it's a huge part of why it's not taken seriously enough. You could own everything you ever wanted and still struggle with depression.

Anyway, I'm not really going to speculate on that being related to his death. It's a shame that someone so young died though.

Archived