The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Canucks targeting Matt O'Connor

jono2009

I really dont understand why we need O'Connor... We have 3 NHL ready goaltenders (plus Joakim who could very likely be primed for a backup role next year) plus Joe Cannata who probably deserves to be an AHL starter next year; and then on top of that we have one of the best goaltending prospects in the world.

There's no way we end up getting O'Connor, becuase according to Dregs, 5 teams have told him that he will be in the NHL at the end of his College season. I order to promise him that, we'd have to move one of Ryan Miller/Eddie Lack, and then on top of that, we'd have to move one of Markstrom/Eriksson.

That would leave us with

Ryan Miller/Eddie Lack

Matt O'Connor

Jacob Markstrom/Joakim Erikkson

Joe Cannata

Thatcher Demko

Talk about a spoil of riches... Meanwhile in EDM.... :rolleyes:

LUL

I can actually see this happen. Aside from Luongo and Lack:

Schneider, Lack, Markstrom all touched by our development program and goaltending coaches and all with a potential to be a starter (one already actualized) in this league some day. From being a goaltending grave before Luongo's arrival, we're becoming somewhat of a factory

If I'm O'Connor, I would go to a franchise that I think will help me develop best at the next level, not a place with vacancy. Once you've developed to be capable of starting, you won't have to wait long to get your chance because either that franchise will want to run with you or other teams with needs will trade for you

From VAN's perspective, why not? If he actually pans out, you can get assets in return for developing him, or use him as a starter and trade whoever was your #1 for assets

I really dont understand why we need O'Connor... We have 3 NHL ready goaltenders (plus Joakim who could very likely be primed for a backup role next year) plus Joe Cannata who probably deserves to be an AHL starter next year; and then on top of that we have one of the best goaltending prospects in the world.

There's no way we end up getting O'Connor, becuase according to Dregs, 5 teams have told him that he will be in the NHL at the end of his College season. I order to promise him that, we'd have to move one of Ryan Miller/Eddie Lack, and then on top of that, we'd have to move one of Markstrom/Eriksson.

That would leave us with

Ryan Miller/Eddie Lack

Matt O'Connor

Jacob Markstrom/Joakim Erikkson

Joe Cannata

Thatcher Demko

Talk about a spoil of riches... Meanwhile in EDM.... :rolleyes:

Cannata likely walks. Lack or Markstrom gets traded. It's certainly an interesting situation. But wouldn't hurt to have another asset.

Why wouldn't the Canucks have interest? He'd be another asset, plain and simple. An asset that can then be traded for other assets or that allows the team to trade other assets. Doubt he signs here when he looks at our goaltending depth.

You can't expect the legion of myopians to understand how this would be good for the team.

free prospect? hell yeah go after him...

doesn't matter how much depth we have reality is that two of the current 5 guys we have will be gone this summer. Plus an asset is an asset..gives us more leverage on deals if a team needs a young goalie

Lack or Markstrom will be gone to be the back up.

Eriksson has already expressed even before this season he is interested in going back to Sweden...Joe Cannata being buried by depth may have already missed his mark with the new GM.

Demko and Miller are essentially the only security we have. Time to add more depth. Demko is still several years away from turning into anything and there isn't an certainty that Lack or Markstrom will pan out.

Successful teams always look to add more strength to an already strengthen area of the team...thats how good teams do it.

Sounds like teams are offering playing time. That should take Vancouver out. Too many ahead of him in our system who've earned a shot in my opinion.

NHL playing time wouldnt even be on my radar as a 23 year old college goalie. First on my list would be what kind of goaltending instruction there is and what resources do i have in that organization to improve.

The Canucks are near the top of that list with Melanson which is why were even in the running.

There's talk of Eriksson going back to Sweden. He's in the last year of his contract and his goal was to make back up this past year. He's the guy that's been absolutely marginalized with our depth. We sign Miller and acquire another young goalie in Markstrom, basically forcing Utica's starter from last year into the 4th depth spot. It sort of sucks for him, and I think it's doubtful he re-signs.

The Canucks hand will be forced with Markstrom sooner than later, as he will be waiver eligible again next year. If we're to continue to run with Miller/Lack when healthy, then Markstrom either gets waived or traded, both would mean another depth spot opening up.

Basically by training camp next year we could be out of 2 Utica starters, opening a wide gap for a young goaltender to develop. O'Connor would do well to sign here, despite the apparent depth.

The guy wasn't even drafted yet he's going to leapfrog like everyone? Get real guys! You guys are seriously overrating this guy.

No... We're being realistic, you want to put him in the ECHL. So, if you were him, would you go to a team who's offering you an ECHL contract? OR one of the FIVE teams offering you NHL time this year?

Those of us who are actually being practical, are trying to figure out what it would take to get him some playing time in meaningful games (likely AHL), which would involve one of Lack/Miller being moved, and then Markstrom being the backup next year, and would also have to include Joakim going back to Sweden, therefore allowing him to be the AHL starter.

Archived