The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Canucks targeting Matt O'Connor

jono2009

What do you mean not really? You tell me where Matt O"Connor can play in this depth chart and be happy, without moving anyone:

NHL

Ryan Miller

Eddie Lack

AHL

Jacob Markstrom

Joakim Erikkson

ECHL

Joe Cannata

See below:

There's talk of Eriksson going back to Sweden. He's in the last year of his contract and his goal was to make back up this past year. He's the guy that's been absolutely marginalized with our depth. We sign Miller and acquire another young goalie in Markstrom, basically forcing Utica's starter from last year into the 4th depth spot. It sort of sucks for him, and I think it's doubtful he re-signs.

The Canucks hand will be forced with Markstrom sooner than later, as he will be waiver eligible again next year. If we're to continue to run with Miller/Lack when healthy, then Markstrom either gets waived or traded, both would mean another depth spot opening up.

Basically by training camp next year we could be out of 2 Utica starters, opening a wide gap for a young goaltender to develop. O'Connor would do well to sign here, despite the apparent depth.

So basically we could be looking at this for depth starting next year without O'Connor:

NHL

Ryan Miller

Eddie Lack/Jacob Markstrom

AHL

Joe Cannata

UFA/O'Connor

Suddenly our depth is quite weak, and O'Connor could be one injury from playing in the NHL (if he plays well). I doubt he gets a better opportunity than that.

Yes he has had a few solid games, but do we have to think of the future based on these games? Keep Miller for at least another season. If we get O'Connor great. But I think one of the backups will be moved.

Just stating what I think could happen. No need to get uptight about it

1. O'Connor on cross-town rival Demko : "He's a great goalie, we have had some great battles, he will be great for the #Canucks down the road."

2. O'Connor on the #Canucks : " They have a great staff, it's a huge drawing point but it's going to be a decision made in the spring."

3. O’Connor says #Canucks regional scout in Boston Jonathan Bates has been great and meeting Trevor Linden in summer was amazing.

4. Despite Miller, Lack, Markstrom and Demko, O'Connor says the #Canucks are still in the mix for him.

Chris Tanev

Alex Burrows

He's a free prospect that any team would like to have

I wasn't saying he's not going to make it, only that he's less likely to. We can't go and say he would automatically leapfrog guys in our system who have put in work on the professional level.

I'm not saying it's not possible, only that he needs to prove himself at a lower level. He is not going to be an NHL goalie overnight, and if he thinks he is he's dreaming, or contemplating career suicide if that's the case.

I have said this before about O'Connor. Really don't understand why anyone would be against adding a valuable piece to this organization. If you can replace another of our goalies that means more assets to gain in any potential trades.

Oh no we have too many centres, lets not pick up Crosby...

No need to overstate it, O'Connor is not Crosby (or the equivalent goalie like Roy, Rinne, Price, etc.)

People are just being realistic about our chances considering we're one of 14 teams involved and we already have a lot of depth. Sure, we'll be trading away one of our goalies this summer, but there's not a huge chance he signs with us.

So the sure thing is that Lack will be dealt at the draft and either Markstrom or O'Connor become the backup. Maybe Markstrom is also dealt thus enticing Ericsson to stay but he seems the lesser netminder to Markstrom.

Also hoping this regional scout to Boston area has been whispering in Ahti Oksanen's ear as well.

Those would be 2 huge signings and would help determine our needs at draft

I can see O'Connor coming to the Canucks for the very reason that he realizes he might need some seasoning (takes some wisdom, and humility to admit this). Sure, getting NHL playing time is enticing. I understand that. But what's better for his development in the long run? Still a young player. He can go right in, and have all the pressures of being an NHL goaltender (a starter no less), or he can develop properly and have a long NHL career. I'd love for him to be in a Canucks uniform. With his size, he could be the next Ben Bishop. Late bloomer, needs some development. Hope he's seriously considering Vancouver to begin his career.

I know very little about this kid, but he seems like he's got lots of potential and we are at least for now in the mix. I know it's a couple of entirely different GM's behind those moves and they haven't even panned out too good either, but we lost out on Brunnström, Brunner and Schultz. So I don't have my hopes up too much yet.

I can see why they'd be after him. He's scouted that area a lot back in Boston. If we do end up signing Matt than either Joe, or Erik won't be resigned this summer, or traded. Those two I mentioned weren't drafted or signed by Benning so if he feels Matt is an improvement over both then so be it. Also The trio of Lack/Miller/Markstrom ones going to be traded. So I feel the argument that theres no room for him is irrelevant.

If we can get him it gives us even more flexibility to move people. I also don't really have a take on Cannata or Ericsson's development n

Eriksson's a NHL backup at most, but he's a career AHL starter if he stays in North America signed to a team like Vancouver.

I don't have a read on Cannata either.

What's in it for O'Connor?

• Great coaching and development
  • He knows Benning
  • He knows the Canucks as well as any other team.....was a development camp last summer

What's in it for the Canucks?

• Another chance at the next great goalie

I think that Benning has a thing for goalies. He has said recently that he thinks it's the most important position.

Archived