The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bieksa 2nd Round Pick

sharbinder

Alas remembering the small detail of the Bieksa trade to Anahiem, this provided the Canucks their 2nd round pick for 2016. Although it is highly unlikely the Ducks continue to be one of the bottom 3 teams.

It would be another pleasant surprise if we were able to have a 2nd round pick between 30-35. (Basically another 1st) I'm sure most of us thought we would be giving the Penguins the Ducks 2nd as part of the Sutter deal, not our own. Only time will tell, fingers crossed.

Annnnddd here comes the ducks 15 game win streak.  Thanks a lot Sharbinder 

It was gonna come anyways. 

Somethings gotta give with that team. Their goaltending has been awesome. If their scoring gets going, they're going to win alot of games.

Annnnddd here comes the ducks 15 game win streak.  Thanks a lot Sharbinder 

Pretty much. But this wasn't foresight by Benning, more like dumb luck if it stays this way in the standings (with the Sharks ahead as was the rumoured other team wanting to trade on draft day).

Pretty much. But this wasn't foresight by Benning, more like dumb luck if it stays this way in the standings (with the Sharks ahead as was the rumoured other team wanting to trade on draft day).

that was my whole point, how we ran into dumb luck twice recently... first with the torts pick (between 2016-2018). Then with the possibility of doing well & still coming away with a high second. that is all. just opening a discussion.

If the language of the trade was the later of our 2nd round picks for the earlier of Pittsburgh's 3rd (CAR) then we're ok, as we would be trading away our 2nd. If the language is the Ducks' 2nd for Carolina's 3rd then we got shafted. 

I'm honestly not clear as to which it is. I would hope Benning and company would word it like the former, which would account for scenarios like Vancouver winning the cup or the Ducks falling out, or even the Canucks going deeper in the playoff than the Ducks. 

From NHL, it appears our 3rd is actually conditional...

he Canucks acquired the 26-year-old center, along with a conditional third-round pick at the 2016 NHL Draft, from the Pittsburgh Penguins on Tuesday in a trade for forward Nick Bonino, defenseman Adam Clendening, and a second-round pick in 2016.

If the language of the trade was the later of our 2nd round picks for the earlier of Pittsburgh's 3rd (CAR) then we're ok, as we would be trading away our 2nd. If the language is the Ducks' 2nd for Carolina's 3rd then we got shafted. 

I'm honestly not clear as to which it is. I would hope Benning and company would word it like the former, which would account for scenarios like Vancouver winning the cup or the Ducks falling out, or even the Canucks going deeper in the playoff than the Ducks. 

From NHL, it appears our 3rd is actually conditional...

The 3rd is conditional because we get the better of our or the Islanders pick. We are getting a 3rd no matter what.

We also have Columbus' 2nd round pick which is actually almost a guaranteed 35ish pick.

With the Canucks playing pretty well so far, looks like we could easily have three picks in the span of about 10.

Personally though I wouldn't mind trading one of them in conjunction with a prospect winger for a young stud defenceman.

that was my whole point, how we ran into dumb luck twice recently... first with the torts pick (between 2016-2018). Then with the possibility of doing well & still coming away with a high second. that is all. just opening a discussion.

That doesn't mean it'll be a high second, even if it will still be better than San Jose's. Ours could be better or worse depending how the rest of the season goes.

Sure, it'd be nice, but there's a lot of season left to go.

We also have Columbus' 2nd round pick which is actually almost a guaranteed 35ish pick.

With the Canucks playing pretty well so far, looks like we could easily have three picks in the span of about 10.

Personally though I wouldn't mind trading one of them in conjunction with a prospect winger for a young stud defenceman.

The Columbus pick could be anytime in the next 3 years, I'm sure they'll wait until they're less crappy. 

Archived