The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Emerson Etem | RW/LW

Gstank29

Just now, chilliwiggins said:

Well this was a RETOOL ON THE FLY but since that didn't go so well , now yes its a rebuild.    Is that difficult to understand why Canucks nation has an infestation of doubt as to this managements ability to do what they say they are wanting to?

Semantics.

The 'retool/rebuild' started with the trade for 9th Horvat.

4 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Can it get much worse? The team is getting younger.. tough to perform then, look at the Oilers. Benning's team, even without countless of 1st overall picks, has more of an identity moving forward than the Oilers have been able to develop in the last decade.

Still so confused how people asking for a re-build before last season, are getting one, and then now expect it to be done and over with after a year or two depending on the way you look at things.

It doesn't happen over one season, it doesn't even happen over two. 

I don't want to be rude but how many season tickets do you hold, how much are you willing to spend on pointlessly on a AHL roster

2 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

well that's not making it look any better infact your adding a year , and with current standings and stats , makes it that much worse.

Rebuilds usually take 5-7 years (12-15 if you're the Oilers :P ). We're three years in. Buckle up cupcake.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Rebuilds usually take 5-7 years. We're three years in. Buckle up cupcake.

So here's my dilemma cupcake I'm mid seventies do I just call it a day ...... as far as the Canucks. Just a memo to the wise you look around the fans who actually attend a game at Rogers ( assuming you do occasionally attend ? ) and I'd say most are in the 40-late 60's category. There's more than a few that won't make another 7 years :rolleyes: :lol: should we continue to support the team with doubtful value and sponsor it for the youth ? :lol::lol:

2 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Wasn't talking rebuild as you slight yourself away from my post.    Retool on the fly, which was managements idea of still remaining in playoff contention with a competitive roster that would also be getting younger.     Which has failed epically.

According to who?

With a healthier roster, we were a bubble playoff team this year. Likely will be again next year depending on moves this summer. And with those injuries we get the benefit of a higher pick to help with the retool this year.

Seems to me to be working pretty much as expected.

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

So here's my dilemma cupcake I'm mid seventies do I just call it a day ...... as far as the Canucks. Just a memo to the wise you look around the fans who actually attend a game at Rogers ( assuming you do occasionally attend ? ) and I'd say most are in the 40-late 60's category. There's more than a few that won't make another 7 years :rolleyes: :lol: should we continue to support the team with doubtful value and sponsor it for the youth ? :lol::lol:

I could give a flying fart whether you intend to continue going to games Fred. We were a contender, we're not anymore. You can either continue to support the team while it reloads with youth... or not. It's not going to stop the roster turnover/youth movement either way.

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Rebuilds usually take 5-7 years (12-15 if you're the Oilers :P ). We're three years in. Buckle up cupcake.

We are only one month in.  JB and TL were in that 'retool' mentality for their first two years, as evidenced by their actions at the last two TDLs.  

well I guess the rest of the teams in the league who suffered with injurys alike will be saying the same.    Damn it would have been really competitive in the playoffs with 30 teams in it this year lol

Montreal would have been in the playoffs without injuries as well.

No idea what you 30 teams comment means, 16 make the playoffs.

I'm not really interested in commenting on RAINBOWS and UNICORNS,  but if your CRYSTAL BALL  tells you this much I advise you to take that down to VEGAS and CASH in

OK. Nice chatting with you today troll ::D

5 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

So what your saying is the job is done. Youre happy with what you see here. Rebuild is complete and we have a top prospect pool. 

Imo, the job of restocking the 2007-2012 ranks is pretty much done, giving us some decent NHL players in that range.  Next up is to restock the prospect pool, as Demko and Boeser are close and there isn't much beyond them.

After another good draft or two we should be stocked there, then we'll have sufficient (and likely excess) assets to begin upgrading positions across the board.  We're almost to that point a bit now, looking at all the one-way and waivers-eligible players currently onboard for next season.

24 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I thought this was the Emerson Etem thread. No?

It is, but a troll got in.

Etem has gone from surprising people to start, to leaving them unimpressed and wanting him gone, back to people being somewhat pleased with his play. There's a bit left to be desired, from consistency, to using his size a little bit more, to not playing a perimeter game, but he does have a nice skill set that we could use in our bottom six.

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

It is, but a troll got in.

Etem has gone from surprising people to start, to leaving them unimpressed and wanting him gone, back to people being somewhat pleased with his play. There's a bit left to be desired, from consistency, to using his size a little bit more, to not playing a perimeter game, but he does have a nice skill set that we could use in our bottom six.

He was always going to be a project player.

Remember who we gave up for him. We gave up a project player for another one.

It's all about consistency and knowing how they want him to play. Now that he's comfortable on the team I expect him to come back much stronger next season.

3 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

I don't disagree, but of course we had to live through some of the bi-polar expectations of some of the fans on here. We'll see how he comes into camp against everyone else and go from there.

Expectations should be that he'll end up being a two-way bottom 6 guy that provides energy and the occasional garbage goal. Basically the same expectations we have for Gaunce.

Our bottom 6 is actually shaping up very nicely with Gaunce, Etem, McCann, Granlund, and possibly even Pedan if that's the route they decide to go with him. All of those guys bring a solid work ethic and a good mix of size and skill.

It's top 6 that needs the most work. We're at least two top 6 snipers away from being good enough to compete right now IMO.

I think everyone should have a more relaxed approached to everything Canucks, including Etem. It's like the panic button has been hit and everyone is freaking out over everything they possibly can.

We are moving in a positive direction, we need to re-build (too much focus on the word we are using) this team and the start of it all looks very promising with Horvat, Demko, Boeser, Tryamkin, Hutton, McCann, Baertschi, Etem, Markstrom, Pedan and the other fellas in Utica. I like what we have, and I know over the next two summers, that group is going to get even stronger. A top 10 pick in the first round and an early 2nd rounder will bring in two more pieces with the way Jim Benning has shown to perform on draft day. Give the man a couple 7th rounders and he will probably make an NHLer out of it.

Expectations for a player traded for spare parts? Not very high. If anything Etem has shown more than i expected out of him. He was traded for my whipping boy since he was drafted Jensen, and has played well enough to have me put him in the starting line-up for next season. 

The group moving forward share a lot of common traits and I think giving Benning some confidence would do us all some good. He is building a team that makes sense, that has an identity, that will know what it is. It's nice to know you can pick out players on draft day, in free agency, and be able to say "That's a Jim Benning player" Highlighting; speed, hard shot, size, great character and toughness - I buy into that identity. Etem fits the mold and I'm looking forward to see what he can bring after a big summer. 

Archived