The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Pitt interested in Hammer

aliboy

We are about a month away from the trade deadline and naturally rumors and speculation are going to pop up about certain players and their potential destinations. A recent example of this was from USA Today's Kevin Allen on Vancouver radio and it involved the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Kevin Allen was on TSN1040 and implied that the Pittsburgh Penguins are very interested in Dan Hamhuis. One of the co-hosts said he had heard that as well. You can listen to that segment here The Hamhuis talk about Pittsburgh begins at 3:33.

So what's the deal with Dan Hamhuis?

It has been almost five years since the former Penguins GM Ray Shero traded a 2011 third round pick to Philadelphia for Dan Hamhuis' rights. Pittsburgh was unable to sign Hamhuis but was able to secure Paul Martin shortly thereafter.

Dan Hamhuis has been consistently good throughout his NHL career. All of his underlying numbers are positive.

Most people would consider Alex Edler the Canucks best defenseman and even at the age of 33 Hamhuis compares favorably to Edler.

Here is the source.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wilson/Pittsburgh-Showing-Interest-In-Vancouver-Defender/177/74358

go on HFboards, the offers from pittsburgh fans is a joke. I rather send him to a team that has a chance to win the cup.

Chicago or Washington.

Try to pry Pokka from the Hawks somehow, or Carrick and a 2nd that turns into a 1st if washington makes the finals

"However, I do subscribe to the theory that you should try to do business with specific GM's around the league that have shown a penchant for perhaps not being great at their job. I believe Jim Benning is one of these general managers"

They sure think highly of Benning....

15 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

lol a high pick, take what you can but first start to dangle Hamuis to the league, he will fetch lots, a team like Hawks might take a run at him because Hammer has value, but sad news WE WONT DO THIS!  

You are correct 100%.  WE SHOULD THOUGH.  Stupid JB.  We'll keep Hamhuis and Vrbata, and they will both play well enough to help us finish 10 to 12th worse.  Does management not accept, we as a fan base, are wanting the team to TANK?  We, as fans, know the team needs top picks to get ELITE talent, or we will forever be in the middle.  

18 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

lol a high pick, take what you can but first start to dangle Hamuis to the league, he will fetch lots, a team like Hawks might take a run at him because Hammer has value, but sad news WE WONT DO THIS!  

You know this how? How do you know JB isn't working the phones as we speak? I'm sure there a plenty of teams willing to take on Hamhuis. Chicago probably isn't one of them. But you never know.

I've noticed from your other posts that you like to over value our assets. An aging rental doesn't hold a lot of value, if we could get a couple of picks for him that would be great. But it's not like there's a lineup of GMs outside Rogers arena trying to get the highest bid on him.

1 minute ago, BaerOxHitman said:

You know this how? How do you know JB isn't working the phones as we speak? I'm sure there a plenty of teams willing to take on Hamhuis. Chicago probably isn't one of them. But you never know.

I've noticed from your other posts that you like to over value our assets. An aging rental doesn't hold a lot of value, if we could get a couple of picks for him that would be great. But it's not like there's a lineup of GMs outside Rogers arena trying to get the highest bid on him.

yeah. especially considering this upcoming draft is considered a good one. I doubt that too many teams give up their first rounder. if we could get a second and a prospect for Hammer. I think that would do. 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You are correct 100%.  WE SHOULD THOUGH.  Stupid JB.  We'll keep Hamhuis and Vrbata, and they will both play well enough to help us finish 10 to 12th worse.  Does management not accept, we as a fan base, are wanting the team to TANK?  We, as fans, know the team needs top picks to get ELITE talent, or we will forever be in the middle.  

I know a lot of people want this team to tank and get a top pick. elite talent. but yeah I also understand that management takes orders from the owners. and if the owners don't want to tank. then TL and JB need to follow those orders. I am not worried though. while it would be nice to have some elite level talent on the team. we won't get that this year. and next years draft isn't supposed to be a strong one. maybe 2018 draft. but that's two years away. a long time in the hockey world. Benning has done well stock piling draft prospects for this franchise moving forward. we need to be patient and continue to draft well and develop well. I'm looking forward to the draft personally. to see what Benning is gonna do. it's probably his favourite time of the year for him. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The don't have the organizational depth at D to lose Hammer unless there is something big coming back, like a 20-22 year old dman or a high pick.  Anything less than that and he is more valuable to the Canucks than he is as trade bait.

Any GM giving up a 1st rounder for Hamhuis, an impending UFA coming back from a serious facial injury and an even more serious decline in form, should be fired.

8 minutes ago, BaerOxHitman said:

A 33 year old dman who's been deep in the playoffs and can easily fill a top four spot is worth quite a bit for a contender. 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

The don't have the organizational depth at D to lose Hammer unless there is something big coming back, like a 20-22 year old dman or a high pick.  Anything less than that and he is more valuable to the Canucks than he is as trade bait.

Many top D, come out of the second round.  Two seconds works even better for us than just one first.  IMHAO.

2 minutes ago, Captain Woodget said:

Any GM giving up a 1st rounder for Hamhuis, an impending UFA coming back from a serious facial injury and an even more serious decline in form, should be fired.

all depends on demand for said player. Pitts has a chance to go deep in the playoffs. they aren't in rebuild mode like we are. so few of their prospects are going to matter for them in their window of opportunity to win Lord Stanley. A 1st round pick for Hamhuis would be good to go. A prospect and 2nd round pick would also be good. A third rounder is almost insulting. but if that's all the market dictated. i would rather just keep Hammer and hope for the best in terms of a run. if that's the case. he's more likely to resign with the team in the off season. it's hard to uproot your entire family especially at this stage of their careers. I can also see him coming back to the Canucks if they do ship him out. he's still got a few years to give albeit not as a top pairing dman anymore. but he's a serviceable player still. 

Archived