The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Marijuana Legalization Bill Coming In Spring 2017

hsedin33

just like liquor and cigarettes there are still gonna be people selling it cause the price with taxes will be more per gram.

This also sucks for me cause I work in an industry that has drug tests.I think random drug tests will also become legal as well.

3 minutes ago, Violator said:

just like liquor and cigarettes there are still gonna be people selling it cause the price with taxes will be more per gram.

This also sucks for me cause I work in an industry that has drug tests.I think random drug tests will also become legal as well.

That is one thing I wonder about. Once weed becomes legal, then companies should have to change how they are drug testing for it. Since it shows up in urine for weeks/months, that is no longer a viable option.

They will have to do mouth swab testing or something along those lines to tell how much is in your system at the time. Cause if it's legal, and the person is on days off then people should be allowed to smoke it, just like you're allowed to drink as long as you don't have any in your system by the time you are back to work.

20 minutes ago, Violator said:

Random drug tests are legal.

18 minutes ago, Violator said:

Thought that was struck down I know a couple oil sands companies tried it but failed.Also as far as I know it's only random after a incident.

Nope random drug testing throughout the oil industry. I know suncor had a big thing with employees but atm random drug testing exists and it's not just the oil industry. I'm not sure what the status is for other provinces.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Nope random drug testing throughout the oil industry. I know suncor had a big thing with employees but atm random drug testing exists and it's not just the oil industry. I'm not sure what the status is for other provinces.

did not know this.

22 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't think we will ever see D&A tests dropped. Alchol is legal yet it is still tested for so it won't matter if marijuana is legal or not. 

Yes, alcohol is legal but still tested for which is perfectly fine, since you don't want someone who is drunk on the job, or high on the job.

They should still test for marijuana, but they need to change how they test for it. It should no longer be a urine test, but a test that actually shows how much THC is in your system, unlike the urine test which shows if you have taken marijuana in the last few weeks/months.

2 hours ago, greenbean30 said:

That is one thing I wonder about. Once weed becomes legal, then companies should have to change how they are drug testing for it. Since it shows up in urine for weeks/months, that is no longer a viable option.

They will have to do mouth swab testing or something along those lines to tell how much is in your system at the time. Cause if it's legal, and the person is on days off then people should be allowed to smoke it, just like you're allowed to drink as long as you don't have any in your system by the time you are back to work.

Stupid part about at least testing for MJ I know people that detox and have a fatty and smoke it as they are driving away knowing they pissed clean.

• 7 months later...
On 3/27/2017 at 2:46 PM, greenbean30 said:

This is a conundrum for the trucking industry, we have been random tested since the late 90's. Drivers only got tested when you hired on before that. It changed when the U.S. D.O.T and government decided to deny running authority to Canadian trucking companies if they didn't comply to their rules. Drivers in this country get randomly picked by trucking company's in the U.S. even if you never cross the boarder and run Canada only. Transportation companies have a big problem on their hands because they can't fire a driver if he fails, they tried that back in the 90's and were told by the government that was a big no-no and had to hire them back and back pay them for how long they were gone.

• 2 weeks later...

The way I look at this is "IT IS ABOUT TIME". You see this ahole politician saying it is as bad as fentanyl the legal drug from big pharma that has killed more people than guns in Canada and are these bastards in jail for selling it and pushing doctors to prescribe it, NO! Big  pharmaceutical companies pocket  Billions and when it's time to help with the disaster they have caused WHERE ARE THEY?. The politicians that speak out again pot are probably in some pharmaceutical companies pocket or maybe some brewery or distillery.

Alcohol is ALOT worse in my life time of experience than pot and yet they actually put pot in a category with heroin years ago,it USED to be legal,until some self righteous politician screwed things up as they usually do.

I have never in over 55years seen anyone high on Marijuana start a fight or be a total Touchy Feely ahole around the opposite sex.

As for the bonus of multi millions in tax revenue don't be surprised if it looks like it didn't make a bit of difference as most governments seem to burn it faster than any person with common sense would.

Corporations should pay their fair share of taxes as well and we should bring in the intelligent people to help us save this beautiful planet before they kill us all over MONEY.

BLAZE AWAY MY FRIENDS

• 6 months later...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/senate-passes-government-pot-bill-1.4713222

Senators have voted to pass the federal government's bill legalizing recreational marijuana by a vote of 52 to 29, with two abstentions, paving the way for a fully legal cannabis market within eight to 12 weeks.

"I'm feeling just great," said Sen. Tony Dean, who sponsored the bill in the Senate. "We've just witnessed a historic vote for Canada. The end of 90 years of prohibition. Transformative social policy, I think. A brave move on the part of the government."

Dean said he thought the Senate functioned well throughout the process and he was proud of the work the Red Chamber did.

"Now we can start to tackle some of the harms of cannabis. We can start to be proactive in public education. We'll see the end of criminalization and we can start addressing Canada's $7 billion illegal market. These are good things for Canada."

Initially, the government had planned for the bill to be passed by both houses of Parliament in time for retail sales to begin by July 1. That timeline was pushed back after the Senate requested more time to review the bill.

Now that the bill has passed, it's up to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his cabinet to choose the actual date when the legalization of recreational marijuana becomes law of the land. Bill C-45 comes with a provisional buffer period of eight to 12 weeks to give provinces time to prepare for actual sales of recreational marijuana.

News of the bill's passage drew immediate response from some of the government's critics on social media.

The Senate and the House of Commons battled over the bill for months.

The Senate had proposed 46 amendments to the Cannabis Act. The Liberal government rejected 13 of those proposed changes last week — including one provision that would have affirmed the provinces' right to ban home cultivation of marijuana.

Quebec, Manitoba and Nunavut all want to forbid their citizens from growing recreational marijuana at home, even once cannabis is legalized federally. The Senate suggested the federal government affirm the provinces' right to do so in the Cannabis Act.

"One of the strong recommendations by experts was that we ensure personal cultivation of four plants at home," Trudeau told reporters last week.

"We understand there are questions and concerns about this, and we understand also that it will be important to study the impacts of what we're doing and whether there can be changes made in three years, but we need to move forward on better protecting our communities."

A motion was moved today that would have seen the amendment returned to the bill, but senators defeated it by a vote of 45-35.

Some amendments stripped away

Another significant Senate amendment that was stripped from the bill would have created a public registry of investors in cannabis companies. That amendment was crafted by Conservative Sen. Claude Carignan to keep criminal gangs from using offshore tax havens to invest in Canada's cannabis industry.

Another significant Senate amendment quashed by the government would have banned the distribution of branded "swag" by pot companies, such as T-shirts, hats and phone cases that display a company logo.

senate-cannabis-20180619.jpg
Sen. Tony Dean, who sponsored Bill C-45, the Cannabis Act, speaks to reporters after the vote on the bill in the Senate foyer on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Tuesday, June 19, 2018. (Justin Tang/Canadian Press)

On Monday of this week, 205 MPs voted to send the bill, minus 13 of the 46 Senate amendments, back to the Red Chamber for what the government hoped at the time would be one final vote.

NDP MPs supported the bill, while those on the Conservative benches voted against it.

Archived