The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zach Werenski

I feel like Zach has been overshadowed a bit being in the Blue Jackets system and them already having Ryan Murray and Seth Jones.

He's absolutely dominating the Calder Cup playoffs right now and leads all D-men in points with 4 goals and 11 points in 11gp, this is the first time he's played pro hockey, his team is currently up 2-0 in the conference finals. First year at university of Michigan he posted 25 points in 35 gp, this year he posted 36 points in 36gp.

At the last U20 tournament he captained team USA and had 9 points in 7gp. I have a feeling we might be looking at the next Ghost, Josi, Letang etc;

Columbus is looking stacked for the future, got Jones, Murray and Werenski on the back-end. Wennberg, Jenner, Dubinsky, Foligno, Puljujärvi, Bjorkstrand, Milano, Saad up front.

Honestly - I'd be happy if Benning moved the 5th overall for Werenski.

Not sure he's overshadowed though - he went 8th - and given the fact Columbus lost Mike Reilly to FA, I think he means even more to their future, especially with it being a relative no-brainer that they go with JP this draft.

They have Paliotta as well, but despite Murray and Jones (and Johnson and Savard)  being there, Werenski represents another type of blueliner -  that they need.

The kid is still 18 years old, signed an entry-level contract March 29 which doesn't take effect until next season and is presently playing in the AHL on an amateur tryout contract.  Source: http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/blue-jackets-sign-2015-first-round-pick-zach-werenski/

His entry-level contract will be good through 2018-19.

No doubt he's a good target (might be better if he shot right instead of left) but there's no reason to think the Jackets would have any desire to move him., so there is the possibility a team might have to  pay a premium to get him in trade.

3 minutes ago, tyhee said:

The kid is still 18 years old, signed an entry-level contract March 29 which doesn't take effect until next season and is presently playing in the AHL on an amateur tryout contract.  Source: http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/blue-jackets-sign-2015-first-round-pick-zach-werenski/

His entry-level contract will be good through 2018-19.

No doubt he's a good target (might be better if he shot right instead of left) but there's no reason to think the Jackets would have any desire to move him., so there is the possibility a team might have to  pay a premium to get him in trade.

Are you telling me that cbj won't give us their best prospect for hansen? Not buying it.

Kidding obviously 

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder is instead of Werenski,  maybe we could swing for the fences and trade up to 3rd?  

Wonder if Boeser and our 5th OA would be enough to grab JP at 3rd OA?

would JP be worth more than Tkachuck/Dubios and Boeser?  

We would not need Boeser if we had JP, plus we can add a LW next year at the draft, sign or trade for one.  Maybe KoKo from Boston, JB scouted him and drafted him.  

With JP lining up on RW, we wouldn't need to sign a big ticket FA and would be able to take advantage of teams before the expansion draft due to our glut of cap space.  

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Wonder is instead of Werenski,  maybe we could swing for the fences and trade up to 3rd?  

We would not need Boeser if we had JP, plus we can add a LW next year at the draft, sign or trade for one.  Maybe KoKo from Boston, JB scouted him and drafted him.  

With JP lining up on RW, we wouldn't need to sign a big ticket FA and would be able to take advantage of teams before the expansion draft due to our glut of cap space.  

If he's Mario Lemieux- yes.  If he's Pavol Brendl - no.  Personally, that's a BIG NO from me.  In such a deep draft, don't you think it's a better move to trade down and collect more high picks - Arizon for 7 and 20?

All depends on JB's skill assessments. If JB believes that JP is worth the risk of trading the heart throb Boeser and who ever is available at 5. 

JB is not afraid to make a trade and his scouting is top notch. 

We would  most likely be better off keeping Boeser and the 5th. The drop off from 3 to 5 is more of an issue in the short term. The top 3 guys are all playing in the NHL next year, the rest are going to need time. Whether the top 3 are going to have better careers than the rest of the class?  Well who knows. 

I think think we have the pieces to move up to 3, but whether or not we want too is debatable. I don't think there is any way we get Werenski unless Horvat is involved. 

5 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Jeepers that would be an overpayment on our part.

Archived