The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

I'll reserve judgement until I see more of him.  Looks good on paper, we need some size on the right side.  Hope he's as good as CDC makes him out to be.

I'm just concerned if he was that good, why would Florida choose to let him go?  Especially since Florida seems to lose every trade with Vancouver at the beginning and they always screw us in the end.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mpt said:

I'll reserve judgement until I see more of him.  Looks good on paper, we need some size on the right side.  Hope he's as good as CDC makes him out to be.

I'm just concerned if he was that good, why would Florida choose to let him go?  Especially since Florida seems to lose every trade with Vancouver at the beginning and they always screw us in the end.

For Fla it was all about the $.  They have some really good d prospects ready to step up and will be on ELC for a couple of years.  Fla is entering the cap hell that most teams with a glut of great prospects end up going through sooner or later.

3 minutes ago, mpt said:

The reason they let him go was simple - they can't afford his next contract... Crappy for them great for us... When you only fill half your arena giving out free tickets it's hard to pay good players what it takes to keep them. So either they trade him to us for a decent return now or watch him get a real contract July 1st 2017 and lose him for absolutely nothing. 

Smart move by them business wise, great move by us hockey wise. I guarantee they don't finish with as many points at the end of the 16-17 season as they did this year and with this trade alone I guarantee we don't finish with as few as we did this year too. 

• Upvote 2

Sad to see McCann go, but at least he goes to our eastern counterpart Florida( I really hope Rowe doesn't fudge that up,  I absolutely love the team Tallon has put in place over there). That said, I am elated to have Guddy slot right into our top 4 next season. I believe he will be a big difference maker and a big part of a gradual upswing that will begin for van starting next season.

Pair him up with a puck mover. I think his role is as a solid defensive rock supporting other players to do things offensively with the puck. He can also use his heavy shot to support the offence. 

Great addition. Obviously didn't like giving up McCann and a 2nd, but you don't get a big, mean, stand-up-leader who's 6'5" 220 at 24 and RH for any less.

This team, during the Markstrom-Demko era should be extremely hard to score against. Gudbranson should be a big part of that.

• Upvote 1

Lovely addition! I think Gudbranson is a stay at home hard rock top 4 defenceman who has a mean streak and the size to back it up. Gudbranson is going to be one tough piece of business in front of our net and in the corners. Looking forward seeing how he pairs up with Hutton.

9 hours ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

Great addition. Obviously didn't like giving up McCann and a 2nd, but you don't get a big, mean, stand-up-leader who's 6'5" 220 at 24 and RH for any less.

This team, during the Markstrom-Demko era should be extremely hard to score against. Gudbranson should be a big part of that.

PoliteImpossibleAstrangiacoral-size_rest

• Upvote 4

On 2016-05-30 at 1:30 AM, messier's_elbow said:

If people think this was a bad deal, just ask the top players in the south division if they like playing against him. 

but but but the second round pick!!!!!! We need that second round pick to help us in 6 years!!! think about the future!!!!!!@$@#$

I think he will be a good dman to have along side Edler. Stay at home dman, kind of like when we got Marek Malik to pair with Jovo. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

PoliteImpossibleAstrangiacoral-size_rest

cute gif but markstrom has shown that he's ready for the #1 job. he's a different goalie from where he was 2 years ago-- from when anyone remembers when the canucks got smoked against anaheim, but he was kept out there, cause thats paying your dues, but thats a different topic all together

as ive stated before, guddy coming in makes the canucks defense core a little more respectable. what he lacks in scoring prowess, he makes it up for being smart in his position; think chris tanev, but a lot more physical-- plays with an edge but can police himself, and can answer the bell if called upon. when the game is on the line and you need someone to log those extra minutes, this guy should be willie's go-to guy

• Upvote 1