The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Fingers crossed I am hoping that Benning drafts one of Casey Mittlestadt, Gabriel Vilardi or Elias Petterson. Of course Nolan Patrick would be acceptable too except we all know Vancouver won't win the lottery. Their chances of winning are probably about on par with me winning Lotto Max! 

Sooo.....might actually have just been shown the way to the Patrick bandwagon.

Just met his uncle (in law) and yes confirmed from endless photos.

Patrick hasn't apparently been as injured as some reports claim.  In fact this injury this year the hernia is his only long term injury carried over from last year's playoffs.

He's apparently had stingers a shpuldrr issue at 13 and what not but time missed  hasn't been injury related.

He's had bereavement leave; scholastic leave (punishment for failing mid terms as per team compliance) but only the one significant injury which is why when you look at his junior games played it appears there was a chunk of games missed.

As well.  He's open to doing what Matthews did and going to Europe as a 19 year old to work on his overall game and skating  (which he sees as an area of improvement) should he not play in the NHL

Now.  Take this as the 2nd hand report it is but I saw the confirmation and stupid family photos.

I'd be intrigued jn picking and developing him but still very much in the trade the pick camp

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Patrick hasn't apparently been as injured as some reports claim.  In fact this injury this year the hernia is his only long term injury carried over from last year's playoffs.

He's apparently had stingers a shpuldrr issue at 13 and what not but time missed  hasn't been injury related.

He's had bereavement leave; scholastic leave (punishment for failing mid terms as per team compliance) but only the one significant injury which is why when you look at his junior games played it appears there was a chunk of games missed.

As well.  He's open to doing what Matthews did and going to Europe as a 19 year old to work on his overall game and skating  (which he sees as an area of improvement) should he not play in the NHL

Now.  Take this as the 2nd hand report it is but I saw the confirmation and stupid family photos.

I'd be intrigued jn picking and developing him but still very much in the trade the pick camp

Welcome aboard. 

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He does sound like too high of a pick for our likely draft position though.  On a side note, is his failing mid terms, and the resulting suspension a red flag?  Lazy?  Not too bright?  Might he fall in the draft a bit?

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He does sound like too high of a pick for our likely draft position though.  On a side note, is his failing mid terms, and the resulting suspension a red flag?  Lazy?  Not too bright?  Might he fall in the draft a bit?

At 14 years old I think he can be excused some idiocy

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

At 14 years old I think he can be excused some idiocy

Oh, I didn't know his suspension for failing midterms was at 14.  I've seen him play (only on TV) a couple games, and I liked him.  I just hope we get lucky in that draft lotto, like the Jets did last year.  

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Would think once, just once...

Maybe being a 'weak draft' and so 'behind' on our rebuild, Gary will let us have this one...?

Honestly I'd be ok with (prefer) 2nd pick anyway. 

Edited by J.R.

14 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I picked quite the year to tank in GML :lol:

The weakness of the draft is overstated.

There is no 'game-breaker' guy at the top (I don't like the 'generational' tag) --- but there is depth in the talent pool.

There are some REALLY intriguing players throughout 10th-50th

1 minute ago, Squeak said:

The weakness of the draft is overstated.

There is no 'game-breaker' guy at the top (I don't like the 'generational' tag) --- but there is depth in the talent pool.

There are some REALLY intriguing players throughout 10th-50th

Yup, no McDavid, Matthews etc at the top but lots of good players through the first few rounds even. Good thing I have I think 8-9 picks ::D

All things being equal I think the Canucks should pick a playmaking centre with their first pick in June.  I think Casey Mittelstadt might be the best play making centre in the range we will be picking in.  If he is off the board Necas is another name that jumps out at me.  He is a bit on the small side though.  Does anyone think he can play centre in the NHL and if he would be a good fit in our future top 6? He could be boom or bust but I think the fact he has played a full season already in the Czechs mens league is a positive sign he could make it work.   

2 hours ago, wellnon said:

All things being equal I think the Canucks should pick a playmaking centre with their first pick in June.  I think Casey Mittelstadt might be the best play making centre in the range we will be picking in.  If he is off the board Necas is another name that jumps out at me.  He is a bit on the small side though.  Does anyone think he can play centre in the NHL and if he would be a good fit in our future top 6? He could be boom or bust but I think the fact he has played a full season already in the Czechs mens league is a positive sign he could make it work.   

I like Necas also. He stood out for me when he played for the Czechs in the WJCs. Of course if Pettersson is available, then he is the obvious choice with him having chemistry with Dahlen already. But Necas would be my 2nd choice behind Pettersson.

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

I like Necas also. He stood out for me when he played for the Czechs in the WJCs. Of course if Pettersson is available, then he is the obvious choice with him having chemistry with Dahlen already. But Necas would be my 2nd choice behind Pettersson

Does Pettersson play centre in Timra?  I see him listed as a C/LW and remembering him play LW at the world juniors.  I haven't watched any of his games in Sweden.  Is he projected to play centre long term?  If so I definitely agree with you.    

17 hours ago, wellnon said:

Does Pettersson play centre in Timra?  I see him listed as a C/LW and remembering him play LW at the world juniors.  I haven't watched any of his games in Sweden.  Is he projected to play centre long term?  If so I definitely agree with you.    

Yes I think he does with Dahlen playing on his wing and a established vet playing on the other. But what I like about him is that he is versatile and you can move him to the wing if you want but I think he's much better when he plays center. More responsibility and he likes having it it seems like

Edited by Beary Sweet
  • Upvote 1

How about a spare Bo on the team if we can get that late 1st round pick when SJ wins the cup.

25. (26) Robert Thomas, C – London Knights (OHL): Best comparison is to former Knight Bo Horvat and it’s not off.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/sportsnets-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-march/

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=201681

• Upvote 1