The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign D Chad Billins [1 year x $600k]

Al-mo

Why all this hate on Weisbrod when all the Canucks did was go out and get some more NHL capable depth on D without giving up anything?  He's probably meant for Utica and probably won't crack the opening night roster but having more competition for spots and depth in general is never a bad thing.  And it never hurts to have a strong farm team and competition for spots there too.  GCG!

Clearly hating on Canucks management is trending around the hockey universe. As far as CDC goes, these nerds are still butt hurt over trading a 2nd for Linden Vey and for taking the safe road and getting an NHL caliber player for that smurf Shinkaruk. Haters gon' hate.

58027538.jpg

11 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I support JB and Linden.. scratching my head about Weisbrod and the high Calgary influence ..and not sold on WD.

With Green still around, can't imagine WD will have a terribly long leash if things go sideways.

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I support JB and Linden.. scratching my head about Weisbrod and the high Calgary influence ..and not sold on WD.

This is the biggest downfall im seeing by the regime, for some reason it seems like if your associated with the tigers you are getting a job with the canucks. Im not sure what effect Linden is having other than being a soothing face to a overly disgruntled fanbase. If anyone has any insight into Lindens doings I'd love to know. 

As as for benning, I'm understanding his moves. Some have taken me by surprise, OJ being a major one for me. At first shocked to hear a name I hadn't heard before when all these big names still out there. Then I started my research and I found this to be be probably the safest pick outside of Laine and Mathews. Sexy he does not seem to be, but the level of praise he gets and the strength of composure being his ticket to the big show. I couldn't be happier with this pick, and I also see his other picks being solid to good with a couple possible surprises. 

While I can see why people are complaining with benning trading away 2nd rounders since it is his strongest attribute. The players we have got though, are young and proven at at least bottom 6 nhl talent. For me im happy with trading 2nd+ round picks for NHL talent.

3 hours ago, Boddy604 said:

With Green still around, can't imagine WD will have a terribly long leash if things go sideways.

I wonder if this exact sentiment was conveyed "privately" to Green (by Trevor?) earlier this summer, when there were so many stories about Green leaving?

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if this exact sentiment was conveyed "privately" to Green (by Trevor?) earlier this summer, when there were so many stories about Green leaving?

obviously , we can only speculate but you have to believe someone has at least inferred this while speaking to green . 

he would have been lured away for sure .

Im not sure why Trevor felt the need to publicly endorse willy .   It was unnecessary  and he put himself into a corner 

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Green tried to get away and nobody wanted him. 

He should be prepared to keep his head down and actually WIN SOMETHING.

I repeat for the times without number, Willie had a fantastic rookie year in the NHL after WINNING the Calder Cup. This was followed by a year of mind numbing injuries to key players which forced him to ice 8 rookies 4 of which had not even played in the AHL.

It's a pity your kind of attitude didn't guide the minds of employers of many of the people on here who constantly harp on about Desjardins being replaced by Green. Maybe then you would have some respect for the guy's position.

As for Trevor giving Green any kind of assurances I think that assumes he is as unprofessional and disrespectful as many on CDC. My reason for saying this is Linden is a guy who knows people AND hockey and he will appreciate Willies position and the hellish situation he has had to work through last season unlike some of the idiots on here.

6 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Green tried to get away and nobody wanted him. 

He should be prepared to keep his head down and actually WIN SOMETHING.

I repeat for the times without number, Willie had a fantastic rookie year in the NHL after WINNING the Calder Cup. This was followed by a year of mind numbing injuries to key players which forced him to ice 8 rookies 4 of which had not even played in the AHL.

It's a pity your kind of attitude didn't guide the minds of employers of many of the people on here who constantly harp on about Desjardins being replaced by Green. Maybe then you would have some respect for the guy's position.

As for Trevor giving Green any kind of assurances I think that assumes he is as unprofessional and disrespectful as many on CDC. My reason for saying this is Linden is a guy who knows people AND hockey and he will appreciate Willies position and the hellish situation he has had to work through last season unlike some of the idiots on here.

You know, I can't disagree with your view.  Trevor and JB are stand up guys, who most likely never lie or ask players to waive (bargained for) NTCs.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

You know, I can't disagree with your view.  Trevor and JB are stand up guys, who most likely never lie or force players to waive NTCs.  

And as soon as I take a couple of days to work out the relevance of your post Alf, I'll hurry back and acknowledge it.

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Well it wouldn't hurt the team to let him mop up to finish the season if things go sideways and WD is let go..start new the following camp.

If things fall apart on Coach D that is.

Hairy; What do you really think Desjardin can do? If he squeaks this roster into the playoffs that is almost equal to a CUP! :) 

We know at some point that Willie will be sacrificed no matter how good or bad he is. He is working for a rebuilding team and the coach is always easy fodder for management to serve up to the disappointed fans. It gives them another couple of years to finish their rebuild. That is what I expect will happen.

The way Benning is building Utica depth there should be a serious Calder run in the making. Not only is that a positive for the players there but the youth in Van who are sent back down come into a positive environment. I'm think Virtanen and Gaunce, maybe Pedan.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The relevance is, TL and JB are not always straight forward.  

And what is your proof of that?

It is entirely in order to ask a player if he wishes to give up his NTC. What isn't in order is to force them by attrition and there is no evidence our management did that. You need to stop reading the crap in the media Alf, it's messing with your head.

Archived