The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Benning seeking 2nd line left winger to take pressure off Baertschi

Ossi Vaananen

3 hours ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

Do you see Bo on line 4 with Etem and Dorsett? and Granlund as line 3 C with Baer and someone? If you take WD's comments literally, that could be the case, but I hope it's not.  Bo has offensive talent, I think Baer and Bo should be together on 3 if Baer isn't going to get line 2 minutes.  I'm not even happy with Bo on the 3rd line, if he is on the 4th, I'll pout and toss insults at WD for the duration of Bo's time on Line 4. 

if Bo is playing on the fourth line. Willie gets canned Imo

5 hours ago, timberz21 said:

I see Horvat as 2C(A) playing with that possible 2nd line LW and Hansen(or Rodin if he impresses at camp).  And I see Sutter as 2C(B) playing more minutes than a typical 3rd line.

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson (18-20min)

LW-Horvat-Hansen/Rodin/Virtanen (14-16min)

Baertschi-Sutter-Hansen/Rodin/Virtanen (14-16min)

Etem/Burr-Grandlund-Dorsett (8-10 min)

Oh I would love to see Benning pull the trigger on Kane. 

Trading for Gudbranson

Drafting Juolevi

Trading for Kane

I have the unfortunate pleasure of listening to NHL network on Surrius and I hear the pro-Toronto nerds boast about teams doing less than the 3 tasks I've listed every freakin second.

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-Larsen

Pedan-Biega

This is a solid freaking core of young defenders and besides Edler are all under 26.

Kane is still young and full of promise....if he can turn his $hit around and become something and help this team then good on Benning for taking the chance. 

My package would be

Sbisa+CBJ 2nd to start with

add Gaunce/Pedan if need be

No reason to think this team doesn't make the playoffs if they can quickly create chemistry and gain some jam by December.

Baertschi is not a rookie. He shouldn't need sheltering, and if his mental makeup is that weak at his current age, he has more serious problems. I think he can perform on the 2nd line, or at least let him compete for the spot. Any player you bring in will likely hold that spot for ransom for the next three years, and you proceed to stunt the growth of your prospects yet again. 

5 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Agreed...Why does Baertschi need sheltering?...I don't get it...Baertschi was a high pick,and has a big pedigree.(the Canucks are deploying him in their adverts as well)....He's a lot better than a 3rd line LW..IMO

They want him to develop without pressure over the next year.  This is a huge year for Baer and by putting him in at LW3, he can go about improving without having to play against top defensive players.  It also keeps him out of the media microscope.  He knows that if Baer can build more this season, he's pretty much a sure fire top 6 for the next 5-7 seasons.

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

They want him to develop without pressure over the next year.  This is a huge year for Baer and by putting him in at LW3, he can go about improving without having to play against top defensive players.  It also keeps him out of the media microscope.  He knows that if Baer can build more this season, he's pretty much a sure fire top 6 for the next 5-7 seasons.

Trust me....nobody is safe from Vancouver Media spotlight. 

Especially here on CDC....

You screw up once and BAM!!!! Lumped into trade packages along with Raymond and Ballard

6 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Agreed...Why does Baertschi need sheltering?...I don't get it...Baertschi was a high pick,and has a big pedigree.(the Canucks are deploying him in their adverts as well)....He's a lot better than a 3rd line LW..IMO

The same reason Horvat needs sheltering and Virtanen needs sheltering.  He wants them to develop properly.  It's a long term outlook and he doesn't want his young core exposed before they are ready (like they were last year).

Hansen isn't going anywhere because he's doing the sheltering on the right side.  He will do a credible job in the top 6 for a couple of years while he is playing at his peak.  Moving him would create the same problem elsewhere in the line up.

Baertschi probably needs sheltering less than Virtanen does so it's a better situation as the line up sits now IF they can't find anybody.  Benning has sewn the seeds and we'll see if something comes of it.  It doesn't sound like he wants to actively shop and get taken to the cleaners.

1 hour ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Trust me....nobody is safe from Vancouver Media spotlight. 

Especially here on CDC....

You screw up once and BAM!!!! Lumped into trade packages along with Raymond and Ballard

Not true at all.

There are definite 'favorites' in Vancouver as well as CDC.

BoHo,  Tanev, Hutton, to lesser degree Virt - all more or less universally loved.  BoHo & Tanev especially get a lot of latitude here.

If they're mentioned in trades, it's generally for the the other teams franchise player plus their next 2 first rounders. 

Everything that Benning is looking for happens to be found in Evander Kane.

• Speed: One of the fasted north-south players in the league
  • Size: 6'3 210 pounds or so.
  • Goal Scoring ability: 30 goal season his sophmore year, although he's tailed off due to injuries and other things.
  • Grittiness: Loves to hit, and one of the best fighters I have seen in the league. 
  • Age: 24 turning 25.  Perfect age for Benning to insert. Not too young and raw, but still young enough for the youth movement
  • Now 2nd line ability: Perfect second liner to give a different style between Daniel and Baertschi

I know people are worried about his history, but i can't recall a time when a player was this much of a perfect fit for us, and always wanted to play at home in Vancouver. If he's available, and it looks like he obviously is, it's hard not to take that risk, take the contract for 2 years and see is he can pull it around.

Sbisa Etem and a 2nd/3rd? I don't know what Buffalo wants at all, but I don't think they want him there by next season. They need to pull the trigger

1 minute ago, TheLiveWire said:

• Goal Scoring ability: 30 goal season his sophmore year, although he's tailed off due to injuries and other things.
  • Grittiness: Loves to hit, and one of the best fighters I have seen in the league. 
  • Age: 24 turning 25.  Perfect age for Benning to insert. Not too young and raw, but still young enough for the youth movement
  • Now 2nd line ability: Perfect second liner to give a different style between Daniel and Baertschi

I know people are worried about his history, but i can't recall a time when a player was this much of a perfect fit for us, and always wanted to play at home in Vancouver. If he's available, and it looks like he obviously is, it's hard not to take that risk, take the contract for 2 years and see is he can pull it around.

Sbisa Etem and a 2nd/3rd? I don't know what Buffalo wants at all, but I don't think they want him there by next season. They need to pull the trigger

everything benning isn't looking for happens to be found in evander as well 

3 minutes ago, TheLiveWire said:

Ya, but he gave away Kassian just to get rid of him. 

Aren't they drinking buddies?  I saw a picture of them both on here taken in front of the Roxy of all places.  They both look wazoo'd.

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Aren't they drinking buddies?  I saw a picture of them both on here taken in front of the Roxy of all places.  They both look wazoo'd.

from what we have seen , character is a massive asset for mr benning ..  unfortunatley , Kanes character appears to have major flaws 

9 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

everything benning isn't looking for happens to be found in evander as well 

Ya well eventually people grow up. 

Here in Vancouver he had a mountain of success.

I remember the first time I truly admired him as a player was at WJC and all the hype was on Tavares, Hodgson, Subban, etc....

Everytime Kane stepped onto the ice he was dangerous and flying up and down the ice and still contributed 6pts from the 4th line. That sent his draft stock skyrocketing to #4 overall.

I truly believe this guy can turn things around, get his nagging injuries sorted and become a factor.

Get it done Jim

Just now, missioncanucksfan said:

Ya well eventually people grow up. 

Here in Vancouver he had a mountain of success.

I remember the first time I truly admired him as a player was at WJC and all the hype was on Tavares, Hodgson, Subban, etc....

Everytime Kane stepped onto the ice he was dangerous and flying up and down the ice and still contributed 6pts from the 4th line. That sent his draft stock skyrocketing to #4 overall.

I truly believe this guy can turn things around, get his nagging injuries sorted and become a factor.

Get it done Jim

i really do hope your right .. for his sake .  i would never want to see a guy fail .    I was a big fan when he played for the giants .  I do hope he can turn it around 

16 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Big deal....

There was a photo that was front page of The Province of 2010 Blackhawks gooned with their shirts off and surrounded by puck bunnies in the back of a limo....they did ok that year too

48 minutes ago, PlanB said:

Not true at all.

There are definite 'favorites' in Vancouver as well as CDC.

BoHo,  Tanev, Hutton, to lesser degree Virt - all more or less universally loved.  BoHo & Tanev especially get a lot of latitude here.

If they're mentioned in trades, it's generally for the the other teams franchise player plus their next 2 first rounders. 

Well yeah. My bike is better than your bike.

Hmm, I wonder if some kid we drafted 6th OA a few years back will get a look, you know, in the position he played prior to being drafted, or does off wing only work in the dub?

Ya, that kid was real good on his off wing....

Harm in trying?

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

if Bo is playing on the fourth line. Willie gets canned Imo

That was one of those comments from Willy that I still scratch my head at.

I mean really, was it in Willy's little dream world where he's coaching a legit SC contender that Bo, being a kid, is his 4th line center? Does Bo really need that much shelter? 

Or is he really just dumb and would give his second best center crap minutes with plugs as linemates? That's proper development, really?

Also, Bo and Baer were at their best last season when on the same line.

I was really impressed with WD as a coach in 14-15 aside from the joke of a playoff series, where we all learned Willy don't do line matching, but I think the old geezer started losing it last year.

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

That was one of those comments from Willy that I still scratch my head at.

I mean really, was it in Willy's little dream world where he's coaching a legit SC contender that Bo, being a kid, is his 4th line center? Does Bo really need that much shelter? 

Or is he really just dumb and would give his second best center crap minutes with plugs as linemates? That's proper development, really?

Also, Bo and Baer were at their best last season when on the same line.

I was really impressed with WD as a coach in 14-15 aside from the joke of a playoff series, where we all learned Willy don't do line matching, but I think the old geezer started losing it last year.

bet we have a new coach halfway through next year . hell be green  but effective 

Archived