The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Edmonton signs D Matt Benning [2 year ELC]

MJDDawg

22 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Don't forget.....

Player "X" seen being wined and dined at some upscale restaurant by Aquilini's,  Lindenning and a surprise cameo visit by Mayor Gregor to act as "The Closer".

I'm curious as to which of the group is always the deal killer

I dunno

linden looks like a guy that could have bad breath.:ph34r:

1 hour ago, combover said:

Where there's smoke there's fire it's be reported numerous times back to when gillis was forced to hire torts that ownership was pulling the string.if you choose to believe every is rosy that's fine but  the proof is ufas don't sign here. Mistreated vrbata mistreated Louie mistreated Higgins ect.... it's a growing list. These guys talk to each I highly doubt any Canucks from the past five years have anything nice to say about ownership or management. Turmoil is when management wants to rebuild ownership wants this to be a "competitive" fringe playoff team for revenue purposes (and this team is neither) . So whether you choose to believe not one not two but every single  paid professional sports writer out there this team is going nowhere and is in fact in turmoil. Players agents read it players read it neither want anything to do with it. 

You're panicking. Stop it. Go back and re-evaluate.

1 - I never said everything is rosy. There are disagreements and arguments in every organization known to man. It's how those are handled that makes the difference. This management team seems to be able to do that without too much drama, so we'll see what happens.

2 - Canucks did not mistreat Vrbata. HE quit on THEM when he didn't get to pick his linemates. So, sorry mercenary (he's on his seventh team so far), but playing in a hockey gulag for smaller paychecks is exactly what he earned himself.

3 - Canucks did not mistreat Luongo. They gave him the contract of a lifetime and when things went sideways, they sent him exactly where he wanted to go. I don't think he's got a big problem with us, but even if he does, so what? It's not our fault he can't handle pressure.

4 - Canucks did not mistreat Higgins. In fact, they resurrected his flagging career. He's a pro and I'm sure he saw the writing on the wall last year. Nobody plays forever.

5 - Sports and entertainment reporting is nothing but marketing and profit generation. They will tend to present opinions that they feel will draw the most response without trying to look too silly doing it. Their target markets are ones that have no great love for us (NE US, central Canada, maybe California), so I don't expect anything too positive out of them. Rebuilding on the fly is tough. High risk. It's easy to poop on teams trying it because that's low risk. If it fails, they told us so. If it doesn't fail, they can stand in mock amazement at the overperformance of the lunch pail gang, while never admitting they got it wrong.

3 hours ago, combover said:

Apparently not as tough as playing in vancouver These days. 

Horrible ownership puppet management mistreatment of players back to when Louie was here, yeah no surprise  players aren't lining up. 

I don't buy that Loui was mistreated. Certainly at the start.  If anything they coddled & played up to him too much.

> They made him captain in part to stroke his sense of importance. Because they wanted to re-sign him?

> Then they did re-sign him.  Bent over in every way imaginable on that contract. Made him the highest paid player in the world during the first years of his deal at $10 mill per. (He was good, but not the best player in world!) And gave him full control over whether he wanted to stay and where he would go.

Loui played that for all it was worth just as much, or more so, than the Canucks dragged things out. Which they did do. My opinion is it was just a contract that should never have been signed! I would have enjoyed remembering Luongo more the things he did before 2010 / 2011 than everything that transpired after. 

It might have put an element of risk to our cup run. But we would have had resources to deal with that. And I believe we would have surfaced by the next year anyway with Schneider and cap in hand some of Lou's money for other players.  Yeah I know > commenting in hindsight...  :blush:

22 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

He was interested and missed out on the opportunity to sign a relative.  If he had no interest, I would agree with you.

Edmonton is his home town team and he has a far, far better chance of making the oilers than the Canucks. Do you not see that or are you just looking for a reason to complain?

26 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

Edmonton is his home town team and he has a far, far better chance of making the oilers than the Canucks. Do you not see that or are you just looking for a reason to complain?

Maybe a bit of both. :o

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I don't buy that Loui was mistreated. Certainly at the start.  If anything they coddled & played up to him too much.

> They made him captain in part to stroke his sense of importance. Because they wanted to re-sign him?

> Then they did re-sign him.  Bent over in every way imaginable on that contract. Made him the highest paid player in the world during the first years of his deal at $10 mill per. (He was good, but not the best player in world!) And gave him full control over whether he wanted to stay and where he would go.

Loui played that for all it was worth just as much, or more so, than the Canucks dragged things out. Which they did do. My opinion is it was just a contract that should never have been signed! I would have enjoyed remembering Luongo more the things he did before 2010 / 2011 than everything that transpired after. 

It might have put an element of risk to our cup run. But we would have had resources to deal with that. And I believe we would have surfaced by the next year anyway with Schneider and cap in hand some of Lou's money for other players.  Yeah I know > commenting in hindsight...  :blush:

I agree he wasn't mistreated in the beginning and yeah was probably catered to but when they (ownership) saw some new and shiny (shneids) they did there best to make Louie feel unwelcome down to starting lack at the outdoor game. And even back then their incompetence cost them both. 

All  im saying is the environment this ownership group has created over the past 5 seasons is welcoming or attracting to ufas. 

Do you really think Louie if asked by another player thinking of coming to van would have anything positive to say about ownership, I don't  and the same could be said for evey player to leave over the past 5 seasons. 

On August 27, 2016 at 5:11 PM, DontMessMe said:

Seems like alot of the prospects want to sign with EDM cuz of Connor Mcdavid prob 

Wish we had our own version of Mcdavid sighh :/ 

According to everyone except me and maybe 3 other people Horvat is just as Good as McDavid. 

Also,  I'm sad, I thought we signed or had all the underwhelming offensive defensemen. This one got away. 

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

According to everyone except me and maybe 3 other people Horvat is just as Good as McDavid. 

Also,  I'm sad, I thought we signed or had all the underwhelming offensive defensemen. This one got away. 

This post is kind of silly I haven't seen anyone straight up say Horvat is as good as McDavid. 

Do some people overrate Horvat? Sure, what do you expect it's a Canuck board. But to say everyone thinks Horvat is as good as McDavid is ridiculous at best.

48 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

This post is kind of silly I haven't seen anyone straight up say Horvat is as good as McDavid. 

Do some people overrate Horvat? Sure, what do you expect it's a Canuck board. But to say everyone thinks Horvat is as good as McDavid is ridiculous at best.

Sorry you must have misunderstood me. I meant that me and the 3 other people think he is better than McDavid. 

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

This will prob get neg reputation but its just my honest feeling without being bias to the canucks 

Oilers will win a cup before us I think 

If they had our defense then maaaaybe. We have 3 elite prospects on forward, defense, and goalie coming up in the next couple years who will help us big time. 

On 8/27/2016 at 5:41 PM, Hutton Wink said:

GMs inquire and talk to many FAs and agents, it's simple due diligence.  Canucks could have talked to dozens of players and agents, as does any team.  Not to mention we don't know the relative levels of interest.  This isn't Pokemon -- no team is going to get every player they have any interest in.

i understand what you are saying. but its his own nephew. for all we know he told him to play with the oilers for the simple reason of family protection knowing full well what the fans are like. ask luongo about that one! as far as my other comments i was kidding about the firing part....

1 hour ago, SedinMadness said:

i understand what you are saying. but its his own nephew. for all we know he told him to play with the oilers for the simple reason of family protection knowing full well what the fans are like. ask luongo about that one! as far as my other comments i was kidding about the firing part....

Oilers fans are really no better. Just ask Dubnyk, Hemsky, or now, Yakupov. If JB was looking to protect him from abusive fans he'd probably recommend somewhere like Tampa or Nashville.

42 minutes ago, theilluminati said:

5 pages and almost 100 comments/replies in regards to this signing...now go over to the Oilers site (you know, the team Benning actually signed with) and there are 2 pages and 40 comments on the signing...why do you suppose that is..?

Because there's no "Yee haw" key on the keyboard?

Archived