The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vegas Golden Knights Thread

3 hours ago, BowtieCanuck said:

I literally explained how it was a failure. It's not my fault you can't accept the reality of it. There's a good reason that city hasn't had major sports teams ( USFL, XFL and CFL teams don't really count).

You did get one thing right: I want this to fail. Horribly. I want Gary Bettman to crash with it too.

It was a failure because the owner gave a cliched response to why the picked he team name and they booed Bettman?!  

Wow that sure makes a lot sense....

Considering all the factors, it's tolerable. 

1. Had to include Knights in the name due to Foley's other companies

2. Couldn't use just Knights as London has a copyright in place

3. Having four words in the name doesn't roll off the tongue, hence the omitting of the Las

4. Vegas is synonymous with gambling (cash, riches, GOLD)

The colours remind me a bit of San Jose and/or London, oddly enough, with a little bit of variation. 

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Fair enough.

I would say you're not the typical fan though. Most fans would wanna plan seeing a game that their home team is playing. That means once a year for Eastern Canadian teams, and 3 times for Western Canadian teams.

Somehow I doubt most people from Canada visiting Vegas are gonna wanna watch a Coyotes-Knights game or a Kings-Knights game just for the hell of it. 

If they can tap into the California markets and get their fans to travel there and fill their arena they might have something. I'm not sure how long the allure of traveling to Vegas just to watch a game will last though.

Good point. I figure if the Canucks continue to be boring I'll watch 1 -2 games a year in Vegas plus the Hawks, Pens, Rangers, Caps etc. every chance I get.

Once the Canucks change their style I'll see every game in Vegas.

I'd still go to a Coyotes game if the price was right.

6 hours ago, Moonshinefe said:

That name doesn't roll off the tongue, like at all. Vegas Knights (although apparently they couldn't use that name) or Las Vegas Aces or something like that would've been better.

Also, their logo reminds me of Magneto.

I have said from the beginning should have been Las Vegas Mafia. Much better name and provides history to the area. Call me a traditionalist lol.

30 minutes ago, firestorm238 said:

I'm shocked that they couldn't just work out a deal with the London Knights to allow for the use of the name?  Usually in these situations they'd just drop off a truckload of money in London, and London would agree to not prosecute the TM.  

Weird. 

They must have been tapped out from the $500 million expansion fee. 

I think this team will be a lot like buying a new vehicle. $500 million at the dealership and the value drops in half once you drive it off the lot.

13 hours ago, Crimson-JH said:

Wow, funny... NHL cut off the boos on Gary Bettman! He was boo'd twice when he walk up to the mic each time! 

I think he took it pretty well tbh and laughed it off... 

This guy is a confident business man who makes what, around 10 million USD a year? I don't think he cares to get Boo'd.

He's running the league extremely well. He's managed to fix countless seasons, playoffs  and cup champs...and most people don't suspect a thing. 

He's even given less control to refs on goal reviews and makes call exactly as the league needs by disallowing obvious goals like a few we've scored this year or allowing obvious no goals like a few that's been scored against us. 

I wish we had a commissioner from Vancouver that could fix us some cups like they did for the Kings and Hawks and Bruins :(

Archived