The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal - Vancouver and Buffalo (Not for Kane)

Chris Tanev and Jake Virtanen to Buffalo 

Sam Reinhart to Vancouver 

I think this is a pretty fair trade for both sides. Vancouver gets our future 1st line centre with elite offensive skill which allows Bo play 2nd centre where he will easily shine and outplay his opponents. Two top end centers is what you need on a cup winning team like Pittsburg, LA, Chicago, or Boston. Centre with different skill sets, but still top end like Crosby and Malkin or Kopitar and Carter. 

Buffalo does this because they want to trade Kane who they still want to trade and will need a replacement power forward and desperately need the defensive help.

I like it. I'd make some minor adjustments. We'd probably have to absorb Kane's contract to make this deal work since Tanev's cap hit is 4.5 million. And Tanev's modified NTC starts next season. So this is the season to trade Tanev unless we need him for the playoffs.

Tanev

Virtanen

2nd (turns into a 1st if we make the playoffs)

for

Reinhart

Kane

3rd (turns into a 2nd if they make the playoffs)

Buffalo probably says no unless they're in a position to contend.

Maybe Evander will make a fool of himself one more time and ultimately degrade his already degrading trade value.

Buddy of mine is a Sabre's fan - He figures a trade for Reinhart would have to include a top young center, so in our case - Bo Horvat. I'd rather just keep Bo.

He'd also be fine with a late second / early 3rd pick for Kane and believes Virtanen for Kane would be an overpayment by us...

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Think of it like this:

Would Canucks give up Bo Horvat for a B level prospect and a top 4 defensive defenseman? No. 

No absolutely not Vancouver wouldn't. But that's because we're desperately shallow in talent among young forwards. However Buffalo is much like Edmonton and is in desperate need of a top pairing shut down d man, which Tanev is. 

Think of it like Vancouver is New Jersey and Buffalo is Edmonton. Only this would be a fair value deal going both ways.

1 hour ago, Green Goblin said:

I like it. I'd make some minor adjustments. We'd probably have to absorb Kane's contract to make this deal work since Tanev's cap hit is 4.5 million. And Tanev's modified NTC starts next season. So this is the season to trade Tanev unless we need him for the playoffs.

Tanev

Virtanen

for

Reinhart

Kane

Maybe Evander will make a fool of himself one more time and ultimately degrade his already degrading trade value.

The only thing I'd change would be Vancouver gives up a 2nd and Buffalo a 3rd no matter what. Were still a rebuilding franchise and you don't trade your 1st round pick. But other then that I think thats a very fair deal

1 hour ago, Green Goblin said:

Tanev

Virtanen

for

Reinhart

Kane

We already walked away from a Kane deal as they want to much so NO TO KANE!!!!

Tanev and Jake for Reinhart we are over paying by far,they would need to throw in a player or two or a 1st!

Reinhart and Kane for Tanev and Virtanen (and a small plus if needed)

That would be perfect for both teams if they decide to not Play Sam on the wing (already have Eichel and O' Reilly as top 2 C) and give him up for a RD.. how is Buffalo's defence? Would they want a defenceman  like Tanev?

2 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

We already walked away from a Kane deal as they want to much so NO TO KANE!!!!

Tanev and Jake for Reinhart we are over paying by far,they would need to throw in a player or two or a 1st!

No we're not lol.. at most they would add a second, if we're lucky.

28 minutes ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

The only thing I'd change would be Vancouver gives up a 2nd and Buffalo a 3rd no matter what. Were still a rebuilding franchise and you don't trade your 1st round pick. But other then that I think thats a very fair deal

That's why I included "if we make the playoffs." This way we won't be giving up a lottery pick since we would be in the playoffs. :P

I rather we keep Virt and Tanev; use Tanev for another trade. Reinhart is good but a lot of his points come from the power play and look at the centres and wingers he plays with, I'm not to sure if he will have the same success. Also I think he would have a hard time playing in the West compared to the East; West faster and physical; East side-to-side and more skill. I think Virt will turn out fine when he decides to pull his head out of his ass. However if we can get Kane for a non-first round pick I'm all for it.

17 minutes ago, doodle sack said:

I rather we keep Virt and Tanev; use Tanev for another trade. Reinhart is good but a lot of his points come from the power play and look at the centres and wingers he plays with, I'm not to sure if he will have the same success. Also I think he would have a hard time playing in the West compared to the East; West faster and physical; East side-to-side and more skill. I think Virt will turn out fine when he decides to pull his head out of his ass. However if we can get Kane for a non-first round pick I'm all for it.

I think if RNH can have success in the west the same Rienhart won't have any problems at all. Rienharts hockey IQ is off the charts and plays a zero panic game. He'd be incredible with Louie Erickson and Brock Boeser on his wings

I see what your getting at but I just think that Tanev alone can get a good Centre and/or pick. Plus lets say we get the first overall this year then I think the trade wouldn't need to take place. However I would like to see more of Rienhart against west teams and see how he reacts out there.

3 hours ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

Chris Tanev and Jake Virtanen to Buffalo 

Sam Reinhart to Vancouver 

I think this is a pretty fair trade for both sides. Vancouver gets our future 1st line centre with elite offensive skill which allows Bo play 2nd centre where he will easily shine and outplay his opponents. Two top end centers is what you need on a cup winning team like Pittsburg, LA, Chicago, or Boston. Centre with different skill sets, but still top end like Crosby and Malkin or Kopitar and Carter. 

Buffalo does this because they want to trade Kane who they still want to trade and will need a replacement power forward and desperately need the defensive help.

They need offensive defencemen, and on the left side. Tanev doesn't fit either bill. They can make do defensively with the players they have and they've actually been pretty good a limiting chances but they've had plenty of trouble scoring.

Check out their goals for and against: they have 38 goals for and 50 goals against. For more perspective on those numbers, 38 GF is dead last in the league. 50 GA is 6th best, however, so they aren't going to move their second leading scorer for shutdown help.

Ristolainen is their best D-man currently, and while he's more offensive than the rest, he's also the only one really producing anything on the back end. They're stuck with Bogosian and his contract and can't really afford another right side defenceman with any kind of cap hit due to cap space. On the left side though, they have Kulikov (pending UFA) and Gorges (one year left on deal), and neither has a single point all season.

They need someone to take over for the left side if they do make a move - and they won't be moving only $900K in Reinhart's ELC the other way to make the cap work either.

Seriously, before you all start proposing trades for Reinhart, look at the Sabres point of view first.

Virtanen - Serious question mark at this point.

Tanev - He turn 27 in 3 weeks and will be at least 30-31 years old before the Sabres are contenders for the cup.

for

Reinhart - A player who I believe will be as good, or nearly as good as Eichel.

Thanks to injuries, the Sabres have sucked this year and can't score to save their lives.  Next year will be mediocre even without injuries.  Realistically it will be a further 2 seasons before they even make the playoffs and 3 before they contend.  By then both Reinhart and Eichel, who have great chemistry together, will be playing at a very high level.  Definitely higher than Virtanen.  Tanev will be approaching the down-slope of his prime years.

If Reinhart is at all available, Canucks should be looking to nab him as long as whatever goes the other way doesn't involve Horvat, Stecher, Boeser, OJ etc. The Canucks need to keep the best of the best of the youth core intact.

Just now, Alflives said:

Actually Sam has taken a step back this year.  The .Sabres expected him to go forward, but he didn't. 

He and Eichel played off of each other well last year.  Eichel is still injured and that high ankle sprain will hamper him for most of the rest of the year.

Sam has been stuck with a rotating carousal of linemates for him including more than one AHL'er.

Just now, GarthButcher5 said:

If Reinhart is at all available, Canucks should be looking to nab him as long as whatever goes the other way doesn't involve Horvat, Stecher, Boeser, OJ etc. The Canucks need to keep the best of the best of the youth core intact.

So basically you want him for a Tim Horton's coffee, doughnut, and a second tier AHL'er.  :picard:

Archived