The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning better sign Tryamkin longterm FAST

*Buzzsaw*

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

He's not going back to Russia, he has said from his pre-draft interview that he wants to play in the NHL.

I think this is true. But.... he was a good performer in the KHL before he came over. With what he's learned in just over 1/2 a season he'd go back there and be a monster performer, and make even more dough.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Question is do we have a Hal Gil

So what you're saying is that you never watched Hal gill play.

Tryamkin is 3 time's faster, way more aggressive and better offensive instincts.

Gill was big, slow, smart and had excellent defensive awareness. He wasn't so much a crusher but a guy who would lean on other players. He would use his long stick to check them rather than get caught out of position (because his foot speed wouldn't allow him to recover otherwise)

2 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

That's the last thing we need to do. A player should show at least 3 years of consistent play to warrant a long term deal.

Bridge him.

Or even better, you probably would like to see him protect little flamingo on the Leafs? 

Just want to point out that it is great that we are even having this discussion.

If he lives up to even half his potential, he is exactly the D we have needed.  Someone who makes opposing forwards worried about making plays in our zone because they may get pasted.  That makes a huge difference because they take an extra second or two to look around the ice and see if he is there and if they are going to get hit.... that little delay takes away lots of fancy plays.  We saw from the Chara debacle in the playoffs that our forwards just wilted as soon as they approached the blue line and got rid of the puck as fast as they could.

A bridge deal would be in the Hutton range... a longer term deal pays him a million more per year.  Neither will be terribly bothersome for me.

Somehow we have a deep defence, and it is ludicrous.  Hutton comes in from nowhere and becomes a top 4... next year Stecher comes in and against all odds does even better and is doing fine with over 20 minutes per game.  In that time Tryamkin slowly develops into someone you think can legitimately be a game changer.

Sunny days my friends... sunny days!

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Just want to point out that it is great that we are even having this discussion.

If he lives up to even half his potential, he is exactly the D we have needed.  Someone who makes opposing forwards worried about making plays in our zone because they may get pasted.  That makes a huge difference because they take an extra second or two to look around the ice and see if he is there and if they are going to get hit.... that little delay takes away lots of fancy plays.  We saw from the Chara debacle in the playoffs that our forwards just wilted as soon as they approached the blue line and got rid of the puck as fast as they could.

A bridge deal would be in the Hutton range... a longer term deal pays him a million more per year.  Neither will be terribly bothersome for me.

Somehow we have a deep defence, and it is ludicrous.  Hutton comes in from nowhere and becomes a top 4... next year Stecher comes in and against all odds does even better and is doing fine with over 20 minutes per game.  In that time Tryamkin slowly develops into someone you think can legitimately be a game changer.

Sunny days my friends... sunny days!

Yup. This one is way up there on the reward side of the risk-reward ratio. 

You could see most of the year he's been pretty tentative on hits, but not on holding guys against the boards. There have been some pretty funny moments with Tryamkin pinning guys helplessly against the glass until he felt like letting go of them. 

Now that he's getting up to game speed he's starting to hit more. Its no real surprise. 

11 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Anyone who watched the game vs. the Preds tonight has to be a believer now.

Monster hits, intimidating all over the ice...  making offensive forays, great passes, and generally dominating.

Tryamkin followed up what was a horrible game with one which was Top 2 pairing good.

The potential for this guy is the ceiling...there is no doubt he will play in the NHL for a long time.

And Benning better respect his abilities and sign him quickly, because if he doesn't then Tryamkin... who has already shown his independent frame of mind, will look elsewhere.

This guy is a blue chipper... and can be a huge part of the Canucks at a bargain price if Benning signs him up now.

Unlike EA, where you can sign young players to a 7 year deal cheap, in the real world players and their agents aren't stupid. Young players that aren't fringe guys won't sign long term deals unless the first half has the player overpaid for what he provides to make up for the likelihood of being underpaid later in the deal. Otherwise they'll be looking for a bridge deal of one to three years. But even on a three year deal the first year will likely be overpaid like Sbisa's deal. 

So Groot has been one of my favorite rookies to watch this season.  He started off with the Canucks being a little timid, and was reluctant to show the big hits.  That Anahiem game, he pasted someone, and he threw off all the ducks that ran at him like they were rag dolls.

His physicality dropped when he fell on Brad Richardson which resulted in that nasty break.  I think big T felt bad, and he really did second guess his play.  Last night the Preds were starting to dish it out physically to the Canucks, and Willie told the team they need to start giving it back.  Enter the 2nd period, and we were witness to some of the best play I've ever seen from #88.  Many have already been on record saying Tryamkin already is close to top 4 material, he just needs to work on his consistency.  EVEN if last night was the high water mark for what he can do, if he could do that consistently, that would make him arguably our 3rd best defenseman (maybe even second). 

To get to the point at hand, I'm not expert on contracts etc, but I can't see either side agreeing to a long term deal at this point.  Tryamkin and his party won't take a lowball early, and the club won't overpay for a junior player.  Horvats situation is the perfect example of how management will play it.  I do think Tryamkin is worth 2.5-3m/yr as a bridge.  Someone mentioned earlier the idea of Tryamkin - Juolevi as our top 2 of the future, and that is not a bad prediction, and I'm excited to see how it will all work out.

3 minutes ago, Type R said:

So Groot has been one of my favorite rookies to watch this season.  He started off with the Canucks being a little timid, and was reluctant to show the big hits.  That Anahiem game, he pasted someone, and he threw off all the ducks that ran at him like they were rag dolls.

His physicality dropped when he fell on Brad Richardson which resulted in that nasty break.  I think big T felt bad, and he really did second guess his play.  Last night the Preds were starting to dish it out physically to the Canucks, and Willie told the team they need to start giving it back.  Enter the 2nd period, and we were witness to some of the best play I've ever seen from #88.  Many have already been on record saying Tryamkin already is close to top 4 material, he just needs to work on his consistency.  EVEN if last night was the high water mark for what he can do, if he could do that consistently, that would make him arguably our 3rd best defenseman (maybe even second). 

To get to the point at hand, I'm not expert on contracts etc, but I can't see either side agreeing to a long term deal at this point.  Tryamkin and his party won't take a lowball early, and the club won't overpay for a junior player.  Horvats situation is the perfect example of how management will play it.  I do think Tryamkin is worth 2.5-3m/yr as a bridge.  Someone mentioned earlier the idea of Tryamkin - Juolevi as our top 2 of the future, and that is not a bad prediction, and I'm excited to see how it will all work out.

Imagine how he'd do with a real NHL quality partner. 

3 hours ago, bad alice french said:

Agreed. I got slammed here a after the last Calgary game as some suggested I was being too hard on Train after he got smoked by Ferland. I think he is the real deal but as soon as he starts easing off on the physical part of his game, he will compromise what makes him truly special as there are a lot of good defenders out there but they can't bring what Tryamkin brings. He can take over a game if he's in the right headspace.

I agree, you so often see players who can play an extremely physical type game play far better overall when they do and when they don't it's like their lost and don't play with any confidence or intensity that it takes to be an good player.

In last nights game Iactually found that after Tryamkin was delivering all those big bodychecks it seemed like the other Canucks played a heavier more intense game and their compete level rose which is also another great positive that the team could surely use in all these close games fighting toe to toe in the standings on a nightly basis.

I'm going to try temper my enthusiasm on Tryamkin a bit because he will still have some learning curves as he should with his little experience but damn pretty hard not to get excited when he looks like he definitely has an extremely high level top 4 dman potential and the special ability that will make life miserable for the stars of opposing teams by shutting them down and knocking the spirit out of them.

Not too worried about his future contracts as I expect JB to give him a fair bridge deal that works for both sides and as a fan we'll just see how far he goes!

I think Tryamkins shoulder was tweaked off the Ferland check, he wasn't braced for it.  That's going to be part of his learning curve.  He was warned that he will be a target, other teams will dump pucks into his zone so they can line him up with checks.  A team like Calgary will do their best to get that matchup, because Ferland will offer that hit every time.

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

So what you're saying is that you never watched Hal gill play.

Tryamkin is 3 time's faster, way more aggressive and better offensive instincts.

Gill was big, slow, smart and had excellent defensive awareness. He wasn't so much a crusher but a guy who would lean on other players. He would use his long stick to check them rather than get caught out of position (because his foot speed wouldn't allow him to recover otherwise)

No that is not what I am saying and I have watched both guys play live this year and in the past.  What I was implying is Try going to be a servicable big guy like Gil was tough with marginal fighting ability or like Chara who we all know about.   The two games I saw live this year I was disappointed with Tryamkin no big hits and often out of position of behind the play.  It was noticable.  Other games on TV he's been great.  Consistency is not quite there yet but does seem to be Getty better.  Obviously we would all love it if he turned into a game changer like say Jovo was for about a three year run with us.  Big goals big hits and tough as nails.  I think his game should be destroying guys and making plays up the ice he skates well for a big guy and seeks to have the ability to make a good pass.  It would also be nice to see him work on his shot to the point where it is a weapon maybe like Aucion did.  Or even Maciniss.  He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his shot according to Calgary team mate McDonald...But then he dialed it in and had 32 points to win the Conn Smythe in 89.  One thing for sure the big Russian is an intriguing player and is getting better...Only last year he was ranked as our 7th best prospect and now he might reach the 100 games played this season if things work out.  Pretty awesome for us.  I would sign him to a four year contract now given his floor is acceptable and his ceiling could be All Star worthy when he peaks in his late twenties to early thirties.

Archived