The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Blackhawks

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Going to start off with admitting I wasn't able to watch the game. However, correct me if I'm wrong or you disagree when I say that this is a game where your don't hate losing. Scoring from our young guns, came up just short of a W against the best franchise of the decade. Like I said I didn't watch the game and many times the box score doesn't tell the truth. I would have liked the 2 points but we can't win them all. Similar to the leafs if you can't tell thathe this team is headed in the right direction you're blind. 

Also see Mr. Bo dangles goal. Wowza. How was the Stetcher goal?

Simple shot from the point that hit Crawfords arm and in. PPG too

2 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Going to start off with admitting I wasn't able to watch the game. However, correct me if I'm wrong or you disagree when I say that this is a game where your don't hate losing. Scoring from our young guns, came up just short of a W against the best franchise of the decade. Like I said I didn't watch the game and many times the box score doesn't tell the truth. I would have liked the 2 points but we can't win them all. Similar to the leafs if you can't tell thathe this team is headed in the right direction you're blind. 

Also see Mr. Bo dangles goal. Wowza. How was the Stetcher goal?

With about 2 minutes left in the game you should not let in 2 goals. You SHOULD have your best defensive forwards out and not your weakest. Classic WD.

8 minutes ago, Odd. said:

The one thing I admire about Stecher is that he's very physical and almost always wins puck battles despite being 5'10 190lbs. 

Didn't he lose 7 lbs the 2 days he had the flu?  Has he put it back on that quickly?

10 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Good game as a measuring stick to be honest. We weren't ready to start the game, blown away by the crowd but a good reset in the locker-room and to be honest you have to hand it to WD for changing a few coaching things, he stacked up well against one of the league's best coaches tonight. We get back into the game, play a hell of a 35 minutes starting from the second period and then take our foot off the gas pedal, give Chicago momentum and they get a lucky bounce that leads to the game winner in the final minutes of play. Unlucky way to loose a game we played really well in, especially considering this was the West's best home record going up against the worst road record.

1) Sedins were terrible tonight. No questions about it. Nothing good from their game tonight. No offence, no defence, they blew it on the game winner with sloppy coverage too but were bad all night long. Eriksson needs a change, off the top line again. Put Megna there if you want but to be honest anyone will do. I wouldn't mind a complete shakeup, even see what Granlund can do (he looked good at times after a PK with the twins). Just get the sluggish Eriksson off. Nice chances early in the game but they disappeared after that.

2) Sutter had a strong game, could have had a hat-trick, just got unlucky, but he was massive in the matchup game and played really well. Granlund had a couple chances and Megna looked like he had a lot of confidence tonight, made some nice skilled plays and passes. 

3) Horvat with a huge clutch goal, he looked like he wanted to challenge the Chicago defence all night long and he finally burst through. He and Baertschi had good looks all night long, they're consistently generating offence out of nothing and it happens against all defences, whether they be good teams or bad, which is a great sign. The kids took this game over by themselves to make it a real match. Burrows didn't look particularly good tonight however, always chasing the play, didn't really generate any offence.

4) Our 4th line had a real up and down game. Gaunce had some really bad shifts, struggled with the Blackhawk forecheck defensively but then draws a big powerplay. Skille and Chaput had maybe one C-grade chance, nothing much else.

5) On the whole our forwards played reasonably well after the 2nd period, not great defensively, everyone struggled with passes tonight.

6) Defensively, our boys played amazing. The two quick goals in the first period were classic Blackhawk one-timer goals that weren't defended very well though. Edler had a great game on the whole, really didn't give the Blackhawks much and they were absolutely flying tonight. I know they scored 4 goals but this should have been a rout. Stecher was our best player by a long-shot, fantastic defensively, shut down one of the league's best lines and scores a massive clutch PP goal with a great shot. This is a great measuring stick for him in particular. The Chicago commentators even said they were impressed by him and all they do is gush about the Blackhawks. Unlucky on the Toews goal though.

7) Sbisa was embarassed once by Kane then never again, played hard defensively after that, and Tanev was brilliant all night long too. Out of Sbisa, Edler, Tanev and Stecher, we really have 3 shutdown D-men and 1 offensive good skater, and the 3 shutdown guys played superbly in their own zone tonight. This game should have gotten out of hand but the defence really shut things down and despite giving the Blackhawks lots of offensive zone time, they shut down a lot of passing and shooting lanes nicely.

8) Tryamkin had a bad game. Played alright physically but far too many turnovers against a fast forecheck which is something he's going to have to adapt to. Biega was barely visible which may even be a good thing.

9) Miller was solid all night long but that GWG shouldn't have gone in. Complete collapse and misread by him, Stecher and the Sedins all at once. An unfortunate way to blow it.

TL;DR - Have to be happy with the effort and comeback, this shows we can compete and score with the best in the league, and may be able to make a first round playoff matchup interesting if we can sneak one road win out.

Funny how people see different things with the same game. Edler was out of position a number of times and he played that game winning goal horribly . D-men are always taught to try and stand the player up when he enters the zone yet Edler kept backing up giving them a shot which led to the goal.

7 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Didn't he lose 7 lbs the 2 days he had the flu?  Has he put it back on that quickly?

I mean he's listed 5'10 190lbs. Obviously that changes throughout the year due to injuries and playing games/travelling and other factors. I just put his listed info.

I mean Tryamkin coming into training camp was listed as 6'7 265lbs. But apparently he was out of shape at that time and so he had to do some conditioning for a few weeks. I'm going to assume Tryamkin isn't 265lbs as of right now.

2 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

That was a pretty insane bounce of the end boards. I don't blame Stetcher, nor do I blame Miller. I do blame the complete disinterest in pushing the play and instead sitting back and hoping to make it to OT. 

So you are saying WD put the Twins out in a defensive role?

Surely he was going for a win in regulation time, and putting out his 2700 point trio with his 2 best offensive D-men. 

He just can't get recognition from 1/2 of this crowd

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

There were at least 2-3 plays where he simply out-skated his man (his backcheck to stop Hinostroza when he was stripped from the puck and Hinostroza had a partial breakaway, another instance where Kane had a breakaway and he managed to get a piece of his shot) and both players aren't slow-footed. 

The one thing I admire about Stecher is that he's very physical and almost always wins puck battles despite being 5'10 190lbs. 

That's one of the things I admire about Stecher too. And yes, he did make some good defensive plays - I saw him hold onto the puck twice under heavy pressure and backhand it out of the zone. But he also had shifts where his man was able to brush him off (especially behind the net) and forced Edler to leave his man to pressure the puck. This usually ended up allowing for sustained pressure in the Vancouver zone. I only bring this up because I was watching Stecher, Tryamkin and Baertschi especially close during the game.

It wasn't just Stecher though. Tryamkin held the puck too long and had his pocket picked at his own blueline, and tried to force a couple of plays that weren't there. Biega was routinely outmuscled and coughed up the puck in the corner. Sbisa did his best to start breakouts but ended up icing the puck a lot. Tanev was decent and Edler had a pretty good game, but struggled at the end of the game (that wrist injury in the third, maybe).

The important thing is that Stecher is a quick learner and he'll pick up on these things and become more consistent as the season goes on. And the rest of the young defense will continue to improve and become more consistent as well. 

33 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

still got a game in hand on flames.

not only that they lames got the laffs and montreal coming up on the road and Canucks have the Avalanche and Coyotes....i betcha they are ahead of the Lames before too long.

13 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I mean he's listed 5'10 190lbs. Obviously that changes throughout the year due to injuries and playing games/travelling and other factors. I just put his listed info.

I mean Tryamkin coming into training camp was listed as 6'7 265lbs. But apparently he was out of shape at that time and so he had to do some conditioning for a few weeks. I'm going to assume Tryamkin isn't 265lbs as of right now.

They still say he is 260+.

23 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

That was a pretty insane bounce of the end boards. I don't blame Stetcher, nor do I blame Miller. I do blame the complete disinterest in pushing the play and instead sitting back and hoping to make it to OT. 

Hitchcock just last week:

“I like when you are playing all out, all the way,” offered Hitchcock. “But I’ve got to tell you as a coach, if there’s five minutes left in the game, and it’s tied, I’m not necessarily thinking about winning it. I want at least a point. A lot of coaches think like that. We have to think like that. Because to get zero points in a tie game with 10 minutes left is devastating.”

5 minutes ago, bingofan said:

I'd hate to see what Desjardins would do to Virtanen if it was he who missed the checks instead of Henrik and Daniel

probably the same if JV had 1000 pts, won the art ross, Hart, captained a team to cup final, won olympics gold, won world champ gold.

Archived