The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Blackhawks

-Vintage Canuck-

52 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Hawks are the best home team in the western conference, it would have been a big ask for the 2011 Canucks to get points there last night. That being said, it was pathetic the way Daniel let that guy walk right past him for an odd man rush with a minute to go.

It was not an odd man rush at all, I don't know what people are expecting Danny to do there, Laying the guy out is not Danny's game at all.

Edler backed in way to far and Stetcher completely blew his coverage, he didn't even know Toews was there.

Stetcher is a rookie, mistakes happen and will with young players. It was a disappointing fluky goal, we should move on.

We were out played the first 10 minutes and the last 5 minutes of the game, 

Outside of that we matched up pretty darn good against a Championship caliber team in their barn!

giphy.gif

But our young players also give us plays like this

giphy.gif

and this

giphy.gif

Solid game with lots of chances on both sides. I don't worry to much about the scores just how players play.

What I noticed in the game were those who were struggling. Baer, Megna and Biega had tough nights. Who stood out? I watched the 4th line with much interest. The Hawks are a very fast transition team and the speed put the 4th back on their heals. They bent but did not break. They generated some ozone chances. Gaunce set up Chaput on a real nice shot.  

Stecher! I dwell on Tryamkin's game a lot but hats off to Stecher against the Hawks. Roast him on Toews goal but that was a great shot. What stood out for me was Stecher's great ability to handle the puck in tight spots. He made some brilliant moves last night in his own zone.

12 hours ago, bingofan said:

I'd hate to see what Desjardins would do to Virtanen if it was he who missed the checks instead of Henrik and Daniel

Once Virtanen scores at the same rate as the Sedins, I'm sure WD will cut him some slack...

3 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Don't know what to think about the 4th line... they try and they try... and they control the puck in the O-zone, but they all have hands of stone and can't bury their chances if their life depended on it.

Do we long for the days of Prust, McCann and Dorsett now?

13 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

I love how Miller has played for us this year but one thing I noticed he does alot is overplay the short side. Did it on the last goal and at time let's himself get pulled out of position 

He is slow to react laterally...hesitates before he pushes off...when players get older, their reaction time slows down compared to when they were younger. Its nature calling.

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

?  this makes no sense.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

He never does.

Found the problem:

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The Chicago commentators made a good point about this, saying that it seems to be the entire Canucks defensive style and structure to completely back down and collapse in. I've noticed it too as part of a very defensive structure - we have one or two defencemen collapse right back down depending on number of attackers, then one D-man or a forward try to hold them and jam them up at the line. I think for the most part this collapsing style has worked - lead to lots of shots against but not many good chances against. Not Edler's fault, that's our team style now.

At least the guy in Europe claimed to "watch his radio".

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

It was not an odd man rush at all, I don't know what people are expecting Danny to do there, Laying the guy out is not Danny's game at all.

Edler backed in way to far and Stetcher completely blew his coverage, he didn't even know Toews was there.

Stetcher is a rookie, mistakes happen and will with young players. It was a disappointing fluky goal, we should move on.

Outside of that we matched up pretty darn good against a Championship caliber team in their barn!

One minute left to go in a tie game on the road, what I expect Daniel to do is to just ride the guy carrying the puck into the boards and that play is dead in the water, nobody expects him to "lay a guy out". Stecher missed his man but that happens so much when teams shoot off the rush, the D are skating backwards so they can't see where the rebound (or miss) goes.   

8 minutes ago, Pete M said:

He is slow to react laterally...hesitates before he pushes off...when players get older, their reaction time slows down compared to when they were younger. Its nature calling.

What happens when you over commit you actually go over your push off leg making almost impossible to slide back across, what ends up happening is a goalie has to make a desperation dive .... which is what he did 

1 minute ago, hlinkas wrister said:

One minute left to go in a tie game on the road, what I expect Daniel to do is to just ride the guy carrying the puck into the boards and that play is dead in the water, nobody expects him to "lay a guy out". Stecher missed his man but that happens so much when teams shoot off the rush, the D are skating backwards so they can't see where the rebound (or miss) goes.   

As a defender, you have to know who the scoring threats are out there. Stecher was unaware of Johnny Toes coming down his side until it was too late. He's young and mistakes happen, but it was definitely a mistake.

Miller has come too far across before and been burned like that. He needs to learn to arc back down to the post instead of coming straight across. That would give him more time and room to come back across on passes or plays like last night. Right now the way he does it, he has to stop his momentum across and reverse direction which leads to desperation lunges. The first goal was a beauty, so you can't fault him. The second one he was down early as usual and left room up top. That's another one of his weaknesses. He covers the side but falls for fake shots or moves and leans away from the post or doesn't react fast enough to the high ones.

Tied with a minute to go...Facing Chicago's best offensive players....In their barn...And WD deploys our slowest and most defensively challenged forwards....Puzzling decisions this guy makes....In close games, that kind of thing costs you games, as it did last night.  Wrong tool for the job at hand.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Solid game with lots of chances on both sides. I don't worry to much about the scores just how players play.

What I noticed in the game were those who were struggling. Baer, Megna and Biega had tough nights. Who stood out? I watched the 4th line with much interest. The Hawks are a very fast transition team and the speed put the 4th back on their heals. They bent but did not break. They generated some ozone chances. Gaunce set up Chaput on a real nice shot.  

Stecher! I dwell on Tryamkin's game a lot but hats off to Stecher against the Hawks. Roast him on Toews goal but that was a great shot. What stood out for me was Stecher's great ability to handle the puck in tight spots. He made some brilliant moves last night in his own zone.

Fwiw last night Henrik said Sven for sure had more chances to score and it being a good sign for them.  I am not sure he would make that unprompted comment if he thought Baer played poorly.

I think we all wanted the win - even the 1 point  would have been acceptable against the Hawks

We didn't get it - we move on

Colorado Rocky Mountain High - the guys are there ahead of the game so hopefully they are used to playing at a higher altitude!!!

On the game winning goal, there were a few mistakes made...the two that stood out to me (after watching it a few times) were

1. Daniel getting beat in the Neutral zone;

2. Miller over playing the shot and slow to react laterally.

Hank saw Toews but decided to play the trailer closest to the puck and leave Toews for Stecher. Stecher played Toews well...it was Miller who was out of position.

Alternatively, Hank could have taken Toews to the net and Stecher could have stepped up on the trailer closest to the puck...the way Hank and Stecher played it was the best way to play it.

2 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

I expect Daniel to at least slow him down. That was clearly a missed check - as one poster said above, as soon as that happened, it looked like trouble. Giving him a pass on that play because it's not his game to lay people out is like giving Sbisa a pass on missing an empty netter because sniping goals is not his game. For $7 million, I expect a better play from Daniel.

Meanwhile, Sbisa gets consistently flamed for his "pizzas" and for being overpaid. Incidentally, he makes about half what the Sedin's make, kills penalties, blocks shots, hits, and sticks up for his teammates. He might not be particularly talented, but that's sort of the point - he battles like crazy to contribute what he can to the team. The Sedin's don't put up points like they used to, but still play defense like they can outscore their mistakes. It's beyond me why players like Sbisa get torched by the media ("Sbisa Pizzas") and fans, while Sedin's get a free pass. Having 1000 points on your resume doesn't help you win the next game. It's absolutely infuriating.

On another note, I loved Horvat's goal. Literally brought me out of my seat.

Just now, bingofan said:

I expect Daniel to at least slow him down. That was clearly a missed check - as one poster said above, as soon as that happened, it looked like trouble. Giving him a pass on that play because it's not his game to lay people out is like giving Sbisa a pass on missing an empty netter because sniping goals is not his game. For $7 million, I expect a better play from Daniel.

Meanwhile, Sbisa gets consistently flamed for his "pizzas" and for being overpaid. Incidentally, he makes about half what the Sedin's make, kills penalties, blocks shots, hits, and sticks up for his teammates. He might not be particularly talented, but that's sort of the point - he battles like crazy to contribute what he can to the team. The Sedin's don't put up points like they used to, but still play defense like they can outscore their mistakes. It's beyond me why players like Sbisa get torched by the media ("Sbisa Pizzas") and fans, while Sedin's get a free pass. Having 1000 points on your resume doesn't help you win the next game. It's absolutely infuriating.

On another note, I loved Horvat's goal. Literally brought me out of my seat.

Daniel is having by far his worst season so far... offensively and defensively. He really needs to turn it around.

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

46 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Ultimately it's about development and instilling the culture alright, so wins aren't crucial and last night was very encouraging as we skated well with them.  Just rather stings to lose that way and come away with nothing when we were deserving of a point at least.

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Once Virtanen scores at the same rate as the Sedins, I'm sure WD will cut him some slack...

You mean score at the same points per dollar rate? If so, Virtanen makes about 8 times less than the Sedin's. Let's say Henrik scores 64 points this season - then Virtanen just needs to score 8 points this season to not be benched for making defensive errors.

Your argument is basically that the Sedin's have earned the right to miss defensive plays. How is that being good leaders and setting the right example for the young guys?

Archived