The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Harvard senior Alexander Kerfoot

Ossi Vaananen

19 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

Bee hive says the 5:10 Center wants to have good opportunity to play his position an hypothecated ,that  he would go where the best chance existed to do just that. There where assertions that he viewed Van as not so good as in depth he would slot at 5 th Center at best.Hence he will assess all opportunities to have best chance to play.

Sounds like the kid wouldn't make our team (ever) anyway, so why waste a contract on him?

14 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

DailyHive is reporting that he won't be coming to Vancouver. Not going to link it, insecure source.

"According to multiple sources close to the situation"

EDIT: which means no sources whatsoever... piping up bull$&!# just for an article

This is why I have stopped reading Daily Hive for ANY sports related articles, especially Canucks/hockey posts. Waste of time reading and I end up either shaking my head at how idiotic the writer sounds or how the writer has literally no knowledge of the sport AT ALL.

On 7/31/2017 at 10:39 AM, Alflives said:

Sounds like the kid wouldn't make our team (ever) anyway, so why waste a contract on him?

We're accumulating good prospects these days Afl and he seems to fit the description.

If nothing else it makes our top twenty lists here a lot of fun. And Utica needs good players of course, it's been tough slogging down there.

On 7/31/2017 at 10:39 AM, Alflives said:

The more prospects you have the better chance you have at someone making the team. ;)

Within reason of course obviously.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ForNuckSakes said:

Is he able to sign with anyone tomorrow?

Yep. Same goes for the other guys listed here: https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/08/expiring-ncaa-draft-rights.html

Some other names on that list that might deserve a look:

Dominic Toninato

Doyle Somerby

Blaine Byron

Each of the above players actually ranked higher than Kerfoot on this year's SBNation list of the top 100 NHL prospects in the NCAA: https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sbncollegehockey.com/platform/amp/2017/4/3/15126684/2017-top-100-nhl-prospects-in-the-ncaa-complete-list

Here are some scouting profiles (open spoiler) from that top-100 list:

EDIT: quotes and links pasted a little messy and the editor isn't letting me clean them up. Still legible but sorry they don't look better :( 

48. Dominic Toninato, Center, Minnesota Duluth(Toronto Maple Leafs)

Toninato opted to return to Minnesota Duluth for his senior season to serve as captain of his hometown team, and that has proven to be a wise decision. Toninato is the top line center on the best team in the country, and capable of contributing on both the power play and penalty kill.

Toninato is a big, physical center, with the puck-handling ability to be effective on the cycle and make plays in front of the net. The biggest improvement he’s made as a senior is improving his discipline and cutting down on the number of silly penalties that he takes.

He should slot in as a terrific option as a big third or fourth line center at the NHL level.

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017/3/16/14937222/2017-top-100-nhl-prospects-in-the-ncaa-46-50-toninato-franklin-nyberg

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017/3/13/14911046/2017-top-100-nhl-prospects-in-the-ncaa-66-70-hults-peterson-winiecki-somerby-lagesson

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017/3/9/14856204/2017-top-100-nhl-prospects-in-the-ncaa-86-90-byron-johnson-gates-davies

68. Doyle Somerby, Defenseman, Boston University(New York Islanders)

Somerby has seen his role change a bit in his senior year at Boston University. With the addition of offensive-minded defensemen like Dante Fabbro and Chad Krys to the BU line-up this year, Somerby has had to play a more conservative, stay-at-home role, and the senior captain’s offensive numbers have plummeted as a result.

But that shouldn’t be a sign of decreased value for the smooth-skating, 6’5” defenseman, whose responsible game allows for teammates to shine. Somerby won’t be a star player at the next level, but will do the dirty work to help his teammates shine.

90. Blaine Byron, Left Wing, Maine(Pittsburgh Penguins)

Blaine Byron has always been a crafty offensive player that created chances thanks to his hockey IQ rather than raw physical ability. In his fourth year in Orono, Byron has gotten stronger and more consistent, allowing him to become one of the top scorers in Hockey East this season with an 18-23-41 scoring line.

His lack of size may make him a bit of a tweener as a pro prospect, but Byron’s understanding of timing and space in the offensive zone may allow him to continue to overcome some of those size concerns.

So Toninato, Somerby, and Byron rank #48, #68, and #90 respectively on that list of the top-100 NHL prospects in the NCAA.

And Kerfoot comes in at #98 on that top-100 list: 

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017/3/8/14825370/2017-top-100-nhl-prospects-in-the-ncaa-96-100-zuhlsdorf-shine-kerfoot-pavlychev

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think he would need some seasoning in the AHL before making the big jump.

I would tend to agree, but he is 23 years old.

Obviously I'm always down for a free prospect but I just don't see a fit. If he wants to be our #1 C in Utica and go from there, then sure. But I don't think he cracks our roster ATM.

Here's an article from a couple weeks ago that states he will not be signing with the Canucks. Take it for what it's worth.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/alex-kerfoot-not-signing-with-canucks-2017

Personally, I'd much rather see the Canucks go after Will Butcher. Although that doesn't appear to be likely.

18 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

certainly puts some pressure on other teams. I've never seen him play... is he good enough to claim the 4C spot next season?

One would think that Burmistrov has that spot for now, though it is always nice to have a couple of centres playing wing so that they can shift over when injuries happen.

17 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I would tend to agree, but he is 23 years old.

Obviously I'm always down for a free prospect but I just don't see a fit. If he wants to be our #1 C in Utica and go from there, then sure. But I don't think he cracks our roster ATM.

Here's an article from a couple weeks ago that states he will not be signing with the Canucks. Take it for what it's worth.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/alex-kerfoot-not-signing-with-canucks-2017

Personally, I'd much rather see the Canucks go after Will Butcher. Although that doesn't appear to be likely.

Absolutely, go after the dman.  23 is getting up there to call a player a prospect as a forward.  23 for a dman is more a prospect.  

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

One would think that Burmistrov has that spot for now, though it is always nice to have a couple of centres playing wing so that they can shift over when injuries happen.

I think thats probably correct if he can have a good camp. I don't think Gaunce is going to be healthy enough to start the year and I guess its Chaput's job to lose. I sure like the bottom 6 competition for this year at least, we may end up with a pretty solid 4th line. 

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

I think thats probably correct if he can have a good camp. I don't think Gaunce is going to be healthy enough to start the year and I guess its Chaput's job to lose. I sure like the bottom 6 competition for this year at least, we may end up with a pretty solid 4th line. 

There's competition all over the lineup.

The two young'ish goalies will be competing for the starting job (with a very talented Demko, not ready but certainly peering over their shoulders).

The D has Hutton, McEneny, Wiercioch, Juoevi, Holm etc all fighting for the last couple spots. 

Boeser and Goldobin fighting for the talented young winger spot (neither of which is guaranteed as I could easily see them wanting Gagner and Eriksson as the two, top 6 RW).

Rodin vs Boucher for depth scorer.

Virtanen aiming for a middle 6 job.

Gaunce, Burmistrov, Chaput all fighting for 4th line along with guys like Molino etc hoping to stay up.

On a 'good' note, I'm guessing Dorsett may not be ready and could be put on IR/13th forward, Gaunce possibly to Utica for a conditioning stint and we'll almost surely have an injury/illness/freak cracker accident on D possibly allowing a 9 game Juolevi trial. All of which will give additional time and opportunity to evaluate players.

23 minutes ago, J.R. said:

The two young'ish goalies will be competing for the starting job (with a very talented Demko, not ready but certainly peering over their shoulders).

The D has Hutton, McEneny, Wiercioch, Juoevi, Holm etc all fighting for the last couple spots. 

Boeser and Goldobin fighting for the talented young winger spot (neither of which is guaranteed as I could easily see them wanting Gagner and Eriksson as the two, top 6 RW).

Gaunce, Burmistrov, Chaput all fighting for 4th line along with guys like Molino etc hoping to stay up.

On a 'good' note, I'm guessing Dorsett may not be ready and could be put on IR/13th forward, Gaunce possibly to Utica for a conditioning stint and we'll almost surely have an injury/illness/freak cracker accident on D possibly allowing a 9 game Juolevi trial. All of which will give additional time and opportunity to evaluate players.

it will be a lot more interesting to watch this year than last, thats for sure. We're not going to be "elite" like an article is saying today but this lineup could be respectable (https://thecanuckway.com/2017/08/18/vancouver-canucks-offence-could-be-elitein-2018/). 

Sven Baertschi — Bo Horvat — Brock Boeser
Markus Granlund — Brandon Sutter —Loui Eriksson
Daniel Sedin — Henrik Sedin — Sam Gagner
Nikolay Goldobin — Alexander Burmistrov — Jake Virtanen

30 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

it will be a lot more interesting to watch this year than last, thats for sure. We're not going to be "elite" like an article is saying today but this lineup could be respectable (https://thecanuckway.com/2017/08/18/vancouver-canucks-offence-could-be-elitein-2018/). 

Sven Baertschi — Bo Horvat — Brock Boeser
Markus Granlund — Brandon Sutter —Loui Eriksson
Daniel Sedin — Henrik Sedin — Sam Gagner
Nikolay Goldobin — Alexander Burmistrov — Jake Virtanen

Not sure I agree with the lines (or that all those kids will be on the big club) and yeah, elite is probably a pretty big stretch. I'll be happy with 'more fun to watch lose'...while maybe being somewhat respectable/scoring a bit more... if the stars align.

I think the biggest thing to watch (beyond how the D shakes out/does OJ get 9 games) is Boeser vs Goldobin... or if both of them head to Utica (which is far more possible than a lot of CDC is giving credit IMO). Now if I'm handicapping, I'd wager Boeser indeed makes the club and over Goldobin. But it's far from written in stone. I don't see both of them making it though.

Not the lineups I'd actually want but what I'm guessing we play - With Boeser (or Goldobin):

Sedin, Sedin, Gagner

Baer, Horvat, Boeser

Granlund, Sutter, Eriksson

...4th lines a bit of a toss up depending on the health of Gaunce/Dorsett but some mix of Gaunce, Chaput, Burmistrov, Dorsett (maybe Molino in that mix) is likely.

Rodin as 13th to slot in the top 9 as injuries occur.

Without Boeser (or Goldobin):

Sedin, Sedin, Gagner

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

Granlund, Sutter, Rodin (maybe Virtanen)

and again...whoever shakes out on the 4th.

But If we're talking what I would want to see. It would be Sutter in a match up/defensive role where he thrives and not 'hindering' offensive players like Granlund, Eriksson, Rodin etc and also further sheltering Boeser down the lineup against lesser defensive opposition.

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

Rodin, Gagner, Boeser

Chaput/Gaunce, Sutter, Burmistrov/Dorsett etc

Just realized this is in the Kerfoot thread...how did we get on this anyway S'all? :lol:

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

What's the reasoning for thinking Dorsett might not be ready? I thought he said that he was good to go for the start of the season.

Has something come up?

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What's the reasoning for thinking Dorsett might not be ready? I thought he said that he was good to go for the start of the season.

Has something come up?

No...

But that's a SERIOUS injury with a SENSITIVE part of the body. Particularly given the manner in which he plays.

I'd be in no hurry to throw him right back in to the deep end personally. I'd have zero problem if coaching/medical staff had him as 13th forward to start the year and eased him back in, swapping him with a kid etc. 

Archived