The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UBC Arts or SFU Business

Michael Scofield

As a current SFU student, I would tell you to critically examine what you want out of your university experience.

It sounds like you're set on the business degree. So I would ask ask whether you're more interested in getting your degree in the most efficient way, or the university experience. Personally, I'm 22, and I took a year and a half between high school and post-secondary. I'm more concerned with just getting my degree, and while I like having stuff to do at school, it's not a big concern of mine. SFU had the program I wanted. So SFU is fine for me. Plus they gave me a scholarship which was further incentive. If you have any academic awards or scholarships, I'd take that into account as well, because university gets expensive.

If you really want the university experience, and are willing to go through the extra steps to get the degree you want, I'd recommend UBC, since that's the one that sounds like you really want.

Also, here's some advice I wish someone gave me when I was looking at going to school: 

There is no schedule, or deadline, or specific pathway you need to take. You have no idea how your life is going to take shape. Things change, things don't turn out like you expect. While it's a good thing to have goals and plans, don't treat it like a strict step-by-step you need to follow perfectly.

11 hours ago, butters said:

Based on the vibe in this thread I think you should avoid school altogether and just get a job and go clubbing a lot.

Seconded.  Worked for me.  And while I may be a bit behind all my nerd friends, I have better dance moves than prince William.

5 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

As a current SFU student, I would tell you to critically examine what you want out of your university experience.

It sounds like you're set on the business degree. So I would ask ask whether you're more interested in getting your degree in the most efficient way, or the university experience. Personally, I'm 22, and I took a year and a half between high school and post-secondary. I'm more concerned with just getting my degree, and while I like having stuff to do at school, it's not a big concern of mine. SFU had the program I wanted. So SFU is fine for me. Plus they gave me a scholarship which was further incentive. If you have any academic awards or scholarships, I'd take that into account as well, because university gets expensive.

If you really want the university experience, and are willing to go through the extra steps to get the degree you want, I'd recommend UBC, since that's the one that sounds like you really want.

Also, here's some advice I wish someone gave me when I was looking at going to school: 

There is no schedule, or deadline, or specific pathway you need to take. You have no idea how your life is going to take shape. Things change, things don't turn out like you expect. While it's a good thing to have goals and plans, don't treat it like a strict step-by-step you need to follow perfectly.

Real talk. Being in my mid 20's I can relate to this big time. 

I'm in SFU right now and you just need to know where to look for parties and extracurriculars. I did a couple of co-op terms working with the Canucks and met a ton of cool people at SFU. You should NEVER pick the school over the program you want. Honestly, if you have a negative perspective going to SFU, you won't enjoy SFU but if you have open mind, its great. 

Downside is that its on a mountain so its hard to get on and off it at times. 

11 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

+1. I agree with everything you've said and I definitely feel a lot more calm. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to type this all out, appreciate it!

11 hours ago, Herpaderp said:

Hey man, I actually go to SFU Beedie. If you want to be an investment banker in the future, we something called the Beedie Endowment Asset Management where select group of students (they recruit every year) manage a 5 million investment fund. https://beedie.sfu.ca/beam/ Most student who go through the program end up working with the large banks in Canada. 

A friend of mine actually had the same problem as you. She ended up choosing UBC Arts but the catch is, she couldnt transfer into Sauder as its highly competitive to do internal transfers. It took her a couple years but she got accepted to SFU Beedie and is doing fairly well. Why go into Arts when youre already accepted into a good business school at SFU :P.

The Beedie community is exceptional and its very open minded. You get to converse with older students through different programs that Beedie offers. So you'll definitely make friends and have a fun time at SFU. Maybe its because you just walk around the campus that you get that feel and not actually having to know the people within the school!

I totally get the whole "it looks gloomy", no nightlife and it isnt as glorified as UBC. Buts its not the end all be all for the reason for you not to go to a school because of its nightlife. I'm quite happy for the fact that I chose Beedie over Sauder. 

And for the comment about travelling: Beedie is partnered up with a $&!# ton of school around the world and you can do exchange programs to anywhere. I just came back from 4 months in Germany and got to travel around all over Europe. 

Thats my schpeel man, but go wherever you want to go! Seems like you made up your decision already. You're just asking for comfort from your peers :). If you have any questions let me know! 

Hey! Is there anyway I can contact you?

5 hours ago, DoughtysCheck said:

I'm in SFU right now and you just need to know where to look for parties and extracurriculars. I did a couple of co-op terms working with the Canucks and met a ton of cool people at SFU. You should NEVER pick the school over the program you want. Honestly, if you have a negative perspective going to SFU, you won't enjoy SFU but if you have open mind, its great. 

SFU years ago had a great athletics program in football... do the Clansman still kick ass ?

5 hours ago, DoughtysCheck said:

Buy some snow tires or learn to drive in those conditions.  BC snow is not an obstacle just a hindrance.

Honestly, why waste a year of university to try and transfer into Sauder (when it's been noted that it's hard for internal transfer) when you can go to a school where you're already in a business program? Beedie and Sauder business school are both great. I've seen many SFU alum out in the field that went to Beedie so it really doesn't make a difference.

I go to SFU and while the campus is all gloomy and unappealing, it's still a great place to be at and in the summer, it's got great views and beautiful weather. One thing I've noticed is that Sauder students tend to be cockier and more arrogant than Beedie students (just my personal opinion) when really, both business schools are excellent.

Also, which campus is closer to you? If SFU is closer, I'd take that into consideration as well. If UBC is closer (with multiple transit towards campus compared to the 4 to SFU) then that'd be an easier option but again, do you really want to spend a  year at UBC Arts trying to get high grades to transfer to Sauder when you can easily choose to be accepted to SFU Business and start right away?

I had the same situation when I got into Uvic Business and UBC arts where I could transfer to Sauder if I grinded it out for a year or so. I took the sure thing at UVic and fast forward 6 years later I have the same job/career path as my friends who attended Sauder.

The once piece of advice I always give is "follow your gut." The choice is yours and yours alone. 

But from my perspective, the question you need to ask yourself is, will you be okay in 4 years graduating with a BA. Transferring into Commerce (UBC) or Business (SFU), is always a tough. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, but if you are unable to transfer, what is your backup plan? I know you have already mentioned ECON, but what would be your Commerce/Business focus? Because econ doesn't necessarily correlate.

I know a lot of people who couldn't make the transfer, settled for econ, and are now doing stuff unrelated. 

If your end goal is a Business degree, why would you not go for it with 100% certainty and go with SFU. True SFU life isn't comparable with UBC, but if your end goal is the degree, then why leave it up in the air. 

Also, having been a mentor for years, and someone who was part of the hiring process for positions, there is zero difference/preference for schools. Whether you are from UBC, SFU, BCIT, Langara, etc.... it doesn't matter. What I want to see is your work experience and volunteer experience. 

As a current Beedie student, I was in the same position you are in. The expectation for me was always UBC and SFU really wasn't in my considerations until I actually started applying to schools. Looking back now, I can't imagine going to UBC for arts. I'm not going to talk sh*t about arts but Beedie is a phenomenal business school and there are so many opportunities. I think it comes down to who you are and what you expect out of university. If you are a competitive person and want to do "business things" like networking events, club work, etc. do business. I can't comment too much on UBC but I've been to a couple frat parties and the campus is quite nice. That's all I know about UBC. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. 

22 hours ago, asian player said:

As a current Beedie student, I was in the same position you are in. The expectation for me was always UBC and SFU really wasn't in my considerations until I actually started applying to schools. Looking back now, I can't imagine going to UBC for arts. I'm not going to talk sh*t about arts but Beedie is a phenomenal business school and there are so many opportunities. I think it comes down to who you are and what you expect out of university. If you are a competitive person and want to do "business things" like networking events, club work, etc. do business. I can't comment too much on UBC but I've been to a couple frat parties and the campus is quite nice. That's all I know about UBC. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. 

I'll definitely PM you. Everyone's responses here are great so it's definitely got me leaning towards beedie!

On 2017年3月18日 at 1:18 AM, ABNuck said:

Did my Biz Schooling at SAIT back in the 90's...pretty cool campus life (saw Bare Naked Ladies @ Sparty's Lounge - before they were big of course).

The only thing I remember about SFU is the jokes we used make back in the day (I was a tech guy - Robotics):

What did the SFU grad say to the BCIT grad?

"Would you like fries with that sir"?...so I guess take it from there.

Did you even go there?  Sounds like you dropped out.   Francesco Aquilini graduated from SFU and he does sell fries.  

Archived