The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Cody Franson on TSN1040

Hey all, been awhile since I posted anything. So if this is the wrong forum please move or delete the topic, but seemed like Canucks news to me.

Cody Franson was just interviewed on TSN1040. Said the usual hockey player stuff about re-signing with Buffalo, but when he was asked about whether he'd consider coming here, he basically said that now that he's a little older and has a family of his own there's nothing he would like more than to play in his home town.

Thought this was pretty interesting. I've always been a Franson fan, would love to see him here. He could help to fill a potential hole that might be left by a Tanev trade or even by Sbisa getting taken in the ED.

Just thought it was interesting. Players don't usually come right out and say things like that during interviews.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If we're going for hometown boys, I'd rather bring Alzner home though.

Why not both? If Franson could be had for cheap and Sbisa and Tanev are gone the cap would likely be a wash to bring in Franson and Alzner.

1 minute ago, Canucks1000 said:

Why not both? If Franson could be had for cheap and Sbisa and Tanev are gone the cap would likely be a wash to bring in Franson and Alzner.

Edler Stecher

Alzner Gudbranson

Hutton Franson

Definitely adds more size to the D core.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Edler Stecher

Alzner Gudbranson

Hutton Franson

Not the worst d-core I've seen. Doesn't fix the problem of offence on the back-end though when you look at it. Would give OJ another year to develop though.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Edler Stecher

Alzner Gudbranson

Hutton Franson

adding size is one thing.. i would like us to add mobility to our D-core more though.

With offense drying up on the Forwards end, i'd like our D to be able to score some timely goals in PP/help move pucks out to our Fwds so they can maybe score. Franson isn't really all that great. Maybe as a 6/7th D.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Edler Stecher

Alzner Gudbranson

Hutton Franson

And both cost us nothing buy the Cap hit.  It just makes so much sense for a rebuilding team to move out valuable assets like Tanev and replace them with UFAs.

1 minute ago, Canucks1000 said:

Not the worst d-core I've seen. Doesn't fix the problem of offence on the back-end though when you look at it. Would give OJ another year to develop though.

I'll take not making boneheaded passes in our own end at this point.

Still gotta get rid of Edler for that to happen.

2 minutes ago, k_man08 said:

adding size is one thing.. i would like us to add mobility to our D-core more though.

With offense drying up on the Forwards end, i'd like our D to be able to score some timely goals in PP/help move pucks out to our Fwds so they can maybe score. Franson isn't really all that great. Maybe as a 6/7th D.

You fix that through drafting.

In the meantime we need cheap D-men to fill in until our prospects are ready.

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Upgrade over Sbisa IMO.

This. If we keep Tanev and lose Sbisa to Vegas as expected, no-brainer signing. 

Having two 6'5 (potentially three with Pedan) defense men is never bad.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I'll take not making boneheaded passes in our own end at this point.

Still gotta get rid of Edler for that to happen.

Replace Edler with an actual offensive defenceman and that D-Core is actually pretty good IMO. The again, Stetcher could keep developing and be that guy, along with Hutton's offensive instincts you could actually have some decent offense. The second pairing with Alzner and Guddy would be a decent shut down pair.

Franson had been pretty consistent in putting up 30 points a season, so compared to Sbisa and Tanev, he would be an upgrade for more offensive production on the back end. However, I always thought the issue was he played a softer game for a guy his size. If we do indeed lose Sbisa in the ED and Tanev does get traded, I would not mind signing him for depth.

Archived