The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Hossa done for the year, if not for good

Its funny as people age they get hurt or do something stupid (like Mike Richards). If Lou does retire can we assume he had to retire because his body can't take it anymore thus activating an LITR for the remainder of his career? 

I don't buy this 1 bit. This is just Bowman and his old boys club making up BS to get out of cap issues. 

I bet the skin issue is Ezcema and the coconut oil isn't fixing it and he's now not "able" to play hockey. Which I'm sure he can.

This is more outrageous than the Mike Richards contract termination.

19 minutes ago, sonoman said:

I'm taking this report with a huge grain of salt.  Possibly a devious way to avoid capture cap hit on his contract by Chicago.  Anyone playing hockey ever heard of this?  

Yes. There was a mysterious but real outbreak forty years ago in the NHL. It was called "The Gunk" and Tom Reid, a defenceman, actually had to retire from hockey. Off and on over the years I have heard of various players experiencing the gunk. Hossa's affliction has nothing to do with cap manipulation. If his doctors are saying that the medication is no longer working as it should, then he is probably on a steroid such as prednisone. If you've ever been on prednisone, it can be really dangerous over the long term.

Skin disorder drove former Hawks defenseman Tom Reid out of NHL

Blackhawks 06/21/2017, 09:51am

It started as a small rash the size of a quarter on his bicep, and it just kept getting bigger. And itchier. And bloodier. Eventually, the rash spread to Minnesota North Stars defenseman Tom Reid’s entire torso, up to the top of his chest.

He broke back scratchers trying to ease the itch. He wrapped himself in towels so the blood and pus wouldn’t ruin his clothes. He tried changing equipment. He tried lining his equipment with towels. He tried slathering himself in a thick layer of cream before putting on his gear. He tried changing his undergarments after warmups, and between every period. He tried squirting himself with cold water under his equipment between shifts. He tried bringing his equipment home with him every night rather than leave it festering in the locker room. He spent seven to 10 days at a time at the Marshfield Clinic in Wisconsin between games. He received steroid shots and cortisone shots.

Nothing could stop “The Gunk,” as it was known in the 1970s. And eventually, when the coaching staff called for two-a-day practices for his lousy team, Reid — an 11-year veteran and former Blackhawks defenseman — knew his playing days were over.

“I did one two-a-day and that was it,” Reid said. “It inflamed so rapidly that it was painful. I had to sleep in a straight-back wooden chair because I couldn’t lay down in the bed anymore. And as soon as I was off the ice and stopped playing, it was gone within a couple weeks. Never came back.”

Reid doesn’t know exactly what Marian Hossa is going through, but he certainly has an idea. Hossa will sit out the 2017-18 season and his career could be over because of what he called a progressive skin disorder. A Hawks source said Hossa’s situation has been getting worse in recent years. The Gunk ran rampant through the NHL in the 1970s, but Reid didn’t start experiencing it until his eighth season. He lasted three difficult seasons, including just 36 games in the 1977-78 season (his last) while dealing with it before doctors told him it was dangerous to continue receiving cortisone and steroid shots — the same thing that Hossa’s doctors are telling him about his own medication.

“They called it The Gunk, and to this day, they couldn’t figure it out,” Reid said. Reid has been able to stay connected to the hockey world as a Minnesota Wild broadcaster. He also owns a popular bar and restaurant in St. Paul, just a block away from the XCel Energy Center. “It was difficult, especially because we didn’t make a lot of money in those days,” Reid said. “It’s hard to walk away, but sometimes, you just don’t have a choice.”

21 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Yes. There was a mysterious but real outbreak forty years ago in the NHL. It was called "The Gunk" and Tom Reid, a defenceman, actually had to retire from hockey. Off and on over the years I have heard of various players experiencing the gunk. Hossa's affliction has nothing to do with cap manipulation. If his doctors are saying that the medication is no longer working as it should, then he is probably on a steroid such as prednisone. If you've ever been on prednisone, it can be really dangerous over the long term.

It started as a small rash the size of a quarter on his bicep, and it just kept getting bigger. And itchier. And bloodier. Eventually, the rash spread to Minnesota North Stars defenseman Tom Reid’s entire torso, up to the top of his chest.

He broke back scratchers trying to ease the itch. He wrapped himself in towels so the blood and pus wouldn’t ruin his clothes. He tried changing equipment. He tried lining his equipment with towels. He tried slathering himself in a thick layer of cream before putting on his gear. He tried changing his undergarments after warmups, and between every period. He tried squirting himself with cold water under his equipment between shifts. He tried bringing his equipment home with him every night rather than leave it festering in the locker room. He spent seven to 10 days at a time at the Marshfield Clinic in Wisconsin between games. He received steroid shots and cortisone shots.

Nothing could stop “The Gunk,” as it was known in the 1970s. And eventually, when the coaching staff called for two-a-day practices for his lousy team, Reid — an 11-year veteran and former Blackhawks defenseman — knew his playing days were over.

“I did one two-a-day and that was it,” Reid said. “It inflamed so rapidly that it was painful. I had to sleep in a straight-back wooden chair because I couldn’t lay down in the bed anymore. And as soon as I was off the ice and stopped playing, it was gone within a couple weeks. Never came back.”

Reid doesn’t know exactly what Marian Hossa is going through, but he certainly has an idea. Hossa will sit out the 2017-18 season and his career could be over because of what he called a progressive skin disorder. A Hawks source said Hossa’s situation has been getting worse in recent years. The Gunk ran rampant through the NHL in the 1970s, but Reid didn’t start experiencing it until his eighth season. He lasted three difficult seasons, including just 36 games in the 1977-78 season (his last) while dealing with it before doctors told him it was dangerous to continue receiving cortisone and steroid shots — the same thing that Hossa’s doctors are telling him about his own medication.

“They called it The Gunk, and to this day, they couldn’t figure it out,” Reid said. Reid has been able to stay connected to the hockey world as a Minnesota Wild broadcaster. He also owns a popular bar and restaurant in St. Paul, just a block away from the XCel Energy Center. “It was difficult, especially because we didn’t make a lot of money in those days,” Reid said. “It’s hard to walk away, but sometimes, you just don’t have a choice.”

I know all about steroid use, been in healthcare for 35 years.  I don't totally reject  the veracity of this report as I've seen and heard of various staph infections associated with gear.  It just seems these reports of LITR are almost exclusively associated with teams in Cap trouble.  

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

In the 1970's ... equipment manufacturers couldn't adjust their production lines maybe... we're in 2017 and this is %100 false and made up by the blackhawks. Even if it wasn't and lets say it was a latex skin allergy... if Hossa had this problem 3 years ago, I bet you my life they contact the company that's making his equipment and tell them to re-construct the material used for whichever piece that is bothering him.

This is a scam by the blackhawks. Nothing less, nothing more. Can't blame a guy for not wanting 1 million a year to play the rest of his deal out, but the hawks must pay for this. This is a joke. 

2 hours ago, sonoman said:

I know all about steroid use, been in healthcare for 35 years.  I don't totally reject  the veracity of this report as I've seen and heard of various staph infections associated with gear.  It just seems these reports of LITR are almost exclusively associated with teams in Cap trouble.  

This is completely a scam man... there's no truth to this report. It's no coincidence it suddenly appeared when he's on the final 4 years of his deal which he's making 1million on.

Come on... what a joke. Bowman must be laughing. 

LENGTH: 12 YEARS
EXPIRY STATUS: UFA
SIGNING TEAM: Chicago Blackhawks
VALUE: $63,300,000
C.H.% q.svg: 9.29
SIGNING DATE: July 1, 2009
SOURCE: CapGeek
SEASON CLAUSE CAP HIT q2.svg AAV q2.svg S. BONUSES q2.svg P. BONUSES q2.svg NHL SALARY q2.svg MINORS SALARY q2.svg
2009-10 NMC $5,275,000 $5,275,000 $0 $0 $7,900,000 $7,900,000
2010-11 NMC $5,275,000 $5,275,000 $0 $0 $7,900,000 $7,900,000
2011-12 NMC $5,275,000 $5,275,000 $0 $0 $7,900,000 $7,900,000
2012-13 NMC $5,275,000 $5,275,000 $0 $0 $7,900,000 $7,900,000
2013-14 NMC $5,275,000 $5,275,000 $0 $0 $7,900,000 $7,900,000
2014-15 NMC $5,275,000 $5,275,000 $0 $0 $7,900,000 $7,900,000
2015-16 NMC $5,275,000 $5,275,000 $0 $0 $7,900,000 $7,900,000
2016-17 NMC $5,275,000 $5,275,000 $0 $0 $4,000,000 $4,000,000
2017-18 NMC $5,275,000 $5,275,000 $0 $0 $1,000,000 $1,000,000
2018-19 NMC $5,275,000 $5,275,000 $0 $0 $1,000,000 $1,000,000
2019-20 NMC $5,275,000 $5,275,000 $0 $0 $1,000,000 $1,000,000
2020-21 NMC $5,275,000 $5,275,000 $0 $0 $1,000,000 $1,000,000

Pfft, ofcourse this is recapture scam from the Blackhawks....what idiotic hockey team would want a guy who scored 26 goals last year (on the 3rd line) back on their roster?

If you're not picking up on my sarcasm, let me know and I'll gladly point out why 29 other clubs would KILL to have a 3rd liner score 26 goals.

Hossa's not allergic to his gear - he's merely allergic to the idea of putting it on for only $1 mil/year.

This has been a long time coming though. Him and the Blackhawks must have been planning this scheme for a while now.

9 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Hossa's not allergic to his gear - he's merely allergic to the idea of putting it on for only $1 mil/year.

This has been a long time coming though. Him and the Blackhawks must have been planning this scheme for a while now.

Why would the Blackhawks do this?  Seriously?

They just lost a guy on their 3rd line who scored 26 goals.....how many 26 goal scorers are available to play on the 3rd line right now?  How many will be available at his cap hit?

As a reference, Sedins combined cost $14 million for 30 goals on the 1st line....Hossa is $5.7 to score 26 on the 3rd line.  (Cap hit)

Sooooooo, how exactly do the Hawks benefit?

4 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

Sooooooo, how exactly do the Hawks benefit?

Do I have to spell it out for you?

Hossa was never going to play for $1 mil/year. Having him back wasn't an option.. So every year of him at $1 mil they can burn on IR makes the Hawk's cap recapture penalty less crippling.

19 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Do I have to spell it out for you?

Hossa was never going to play for $1 mil/year. Having him back wasn't an option.. So every year of him at $1 mil they can burn on IR makes the Hawk's cap recapture penalty less crippling.

Uh, well yeah, i guess you'll have to spell it out for me...

How exactly do the Hawks replace their 26 goal 3rd line player?  (Let's presume the team is trying to actually win, not just trying to make a buck)  They planned on this, yet left themselves no cap space????  Why?  Not sure, but i dont think the Hawks can use that money until 2018 because they cant LTIR Hossa until the season actually starts.

12 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

Uh, well yeah, i guess you'll have to spell it out for me...

How exactly do the Hawks replace their 26 goal 3rd line player?  (Let's presume the team is trying to actually win, not just trying to make a buck)  They planned on this, yet left themselves no cap space????  Why?  Not sure, but i dont think the Hawks can use that money until 2018 because they cant LTIR Hossa until the season actually starts.

The only alternative for Chicago was to let him retire, and take the full cap recapture penalty over the next 4 years. At least this way they can trade for a replacement during the season.

42 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The only alternative for Chicago was to let him retire, and take the full cap recapture penalty over the next 4 years. At least this way they can trade for a replacement during the season.

I can totally understand how, depending on the ruling, this will benefit Hossa...but in no way can the Hawks benefit.  They will never replace his offensive production or defensive capabilities.....at least, not anytime soon.  And if they do find a replacement, it will cost them dearly since it will have to be mid year deal when values are high.  They will now have to pay a king's ransom to HOPEFULLY get another Hossa.

Archived