The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

15 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

The only real knock on his skating is his acceleration. His top speed is fine and he has some of the finest edgework at that speed of any hockey player in the world. He's going to have add some muscle so he can make those plays in the NHL but will be fine as long as he's protected.

I would say his edgework is his biggest weakness. For a player that doesn't have the pure strength to protect the puck a lot of the time, quickness and balance in tight can make up for. I don't think he has that yet though. 

• Wat 2

5 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I've seen examples of what you're talking about and I agree. But his agility in the corners isn't at that level. That's where he gets knocked off the puck or on the ice a lot. I think he can improve a great deal in that regard. 

I see that and weak ankles, Last player I watched at a young age and small frame and deceptively fast and awkward looking on his skates was Wayne Gretzky. Never looked like he was going fast either.

• Upvote 3

Didn't get to see the game today, my main concern was him not moving his feet and using his speed last game. When he uses his speed his lack of strength is far less of an issue. Sounds like he was able to sort that out today which is a great sign. 

I just watched the highlights of the Sweden-France game, wow.  That setup on the powerplay goal to Backlund was special, and then the drag and shot, amazing.  This kid may shoot it as well as Brock and he's a better playmaker.  I'm liking him more and more.  Seems like he's getting comfortable at this level.  Like I said earlier, he needs to add 10-15 pounds of muscle, mostly in his lower body, and he's going to be magical!

Edited by canuckleheads fan

2 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

Didn't get to see the game today, my main concern was him not moving his feet and using his speed last game. When he uses his speed his lack of strength is far less of an issue. Sounds like he was able to sort that out today which is a great sign. 

What I liked last game was that he used his speed on the backcheck.  Showed his high hockey IQ to get back and make good defensive plays.  He's already showing that he has a pretty complete game aside from adding some size.

Elias layed out a player today, To me Elias doesn't know he is small. He plays much bigger than he is. 49 second mark of the video below
Edited by cory40
added point
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, cory40 said:
Elias layed out a player today, To me Elias doesn't know he is small. He plays much bigger than he is. 49 second mark of the video below

funny how I haven't heard the Utica talk or he gets pushed around all game. At least 5 people including me said EP40 seems to take a few games each new higher league he plays in. Once he figures it out the multiple points start coming.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bp79 said:

funny how I haven't heard the Utica talk or he gets pushed around all game. At least 5 people including me said EP40 seems to take a few games each new higher league he plays in. Once he figures it out the multiple points start coming.

I also claimed he'd be fine.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Good lord, holy cow, may the Schmaltz be with you, I don't know what to say!  :frantic:

I noticed Pettersson waited, and waited, without a flinch, his head up probably a full second. Then ripped that goal, absolutely no wasted motion or suggestion when the shot was coming. Just hung on till the goalie was partially obstructed and the open hole appeared.

And he always nails that top corner, either side, at will...

Virtually all. He does not have ''elite'' speed. But he has uncanny agility. At speed, he has something I also used to notice about Mogilny. Just a slight twitch in his ankles and position of his knee's, while moving straight ahead? Suddenly he's moving straight ahead 6 or 7 feet to his left or ight. Very deceptive ability to get from side to side.

:frantic:

Haven't you watched him dangle & break guys ankles?  Hola, the guy can switch gears, move, jump in different directions as good as very few. 

He's also stronger protecting the puc, holding guys off than you give him credit for. Strength on his skates the obvious room to grow despite that last statement. 

I don't know about that. Before everyone ridicules me for saying he's not perfect, I think he'll be in the NHL next year and he'll be a great player for us, but there are still things he can work on. His speed and agility down low and in tight could stand to improve. It's not elite and I don't expect him to ever become elite, but it can be better. Here's an example from this year of what I'm talking about:

Hischier had already made a quick turn and lost his man to move up the boards before the clip starts. The way he changed directions and moved to top speed in a confined area is what I'm talking about. Here's a different example with Ehlers:

The way he cuts hard to his forehand side and explodes into open space to get the shot off shows his superior mobility. As good as Pettersson is, something like that isn't in his repertoire yet. He would be even deadlier if he got close to that level. Just for fun, here's another example with Ehlers:

Pettersson is skilled enough to pull of a move like that with his hands, but he would execute it a lot slower. Ehlers had created so much seperation from the defender with his agility and quickness before he even got his head up to see that he'd been beat. 

• Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I don't know about that. Before everyone ridicules me for saying he's not perfect, I think he'll be in the NHL next year and he'll be a great player for us, but there are still things he can work on. His speed and agility down low and in tight could stand to improve. It's not elite and I don't expect him to ever become elite, but it can be better. Here's an example from this year of what I'm talking about:

Hischier had already made a quick turn and lost his man to move up the boards before the clip starts. The way he changed directions and moved to top speed in a confined area is what I'm talking about. Here's a different example with Ehlers:

The way he cuts hard to his forehand side and explodes into open space to get the shot off shows his superior mobility. As good as Pettersson is, something like that isn't in his repertoire yet. He would be even deadlier if he got close to that level. Just for fun, here's another example with Ehlers:

Pettersson is skilled enough to pull of a move like that with his hands, but he would execute it a lot slower. Ehlers had created so much seperation from the defender with his agility and quickness before he even got his head up to see that he'd been beat. 

Yeh and Pettersson is more skilled than the above examples and he can slow a game down and speed it up, and make moves that will make him elite. You wouldn't trade EP for any of the above players. And one could expect EP will come in stronger in Sept then look - out. Kinda like Canucks won the draft lottery at pick 5. I sense a  lot of worried fans on other teams about EP. Funny how he impresses coaches and line mates and how teams coach to shut him down, not bad for a kid who has lots to improve on.

Edited by cory40

1 minute ago, cory40 said:

Yeh and Pettersson is more skilled than the above examples and he can slow a game down and speed it up, and make moves that will make him elite. You wouldn't trade EP for any of the above players. 

I mean, I'd consider Hischier, but it would be really tough. 

All I'm saying is imagine how good he would be if he was comparable in quickness/agility. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I mean, I'd consider Hischier, but it would be really tough. 

All I'm saying is imagine how good he would be if he was comparable in quickness/agility. 

I'm not seeing it. Watching his goals he executes faster in tight areas than any I have ever seen. Esp when he can score

10 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

His speed and agility down low and in tight

Someone did a redraft, many on CDC complained Hishcier still went higher than Pettersson. I agreed because of the elite game breaking speed of Hischier. Its a weapon.

But I remain in staunch disagreement on agility and speed in tight.  The guy is better in tight spaces than almost anyone I have seen. Agree to disagree. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

3989?

Or similar.   I am always blown away with how many channels there are in North America yet none of them have anything worth watching have the time.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1