The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

What's McDavid won?  

This Dahlin guy is way over hyped, as are all the recent top picks.  Our guy at 7 will, in time, prove to be better.

...let me think... gold U-18, gold U-20, gold WC, CHL player of the team,  U-18 MVP, U-20 All start, Art Ross (x2), Hart, Ted Lindsay.

Ok he hasn't won the cup yet, he's been in the league 3 years, did Crosby won a cup in his first 3 years???  Come on, I know we're suppose to hate the Oilers, but that doesn't mean with need to be stupid and biased.

Edited by timberz21
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I can't handle this website anymore.  Posters here didn't want 1st overall, and the guy we get at 7 could very well turn out to be better than Rasmus Dahlin... yeah ok.  Definitely some top notch hockey discussion going on in here

Wait, I must’ve missed that part.

People over here didn’t want first overall? Who said that and were they being serious?

As for our pick at 7 being better than Dahlin, I suppose there’s always a chance. But I doubt anyone thinks it’s all that likely to happen. Dahlin is one of the clearer 1st overalls and sure thing elite players in recent memory. I doubt many people would bet on our pick surpassing him.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Autocorrect
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I can't handle this website anymore.  Posters here didn't want 1st overall, and the guy we get at 7 could very well turn out to be better than Rasmus Dahlin... yeah ok.  Definitely some top notch hockey discussion going on in here

I doubt anyone not posting something tongue in cheek remotely believes that except apparently you (that someone actually thought 7th was better than picking first overall).   If you focus on that attempted humour from someone you are missing the hockey discussion for sure.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

Did you, or anyone else on this board catch the interview with the Swedish reporter (blogger)? Sat on SN650 had him on yesterday around 10ish in the am. Very good insight into his game, his progress, and his possible future with the Canucks. He doesn't agree that EP should stay in the SHL for one more year, BUT, his GM is thinking he might. EP has been very non-committal about coming to the NHL next season, but he did allude to others, the twins, Forsberg, Nilsson, etc., who stayed 2 or 3 years after being drafted. His odds were 70%-30% he comes though. He went on to say how impressed Backlund was with EP's game, as far as poise, skill, and intensity. He named 2 more kids that are draft eligible this year, a forward and a d-man, I was driving, talking to my granddaughter, etc., but didn't get there names. Late first rounders early second this year.

It would not be a shock for him to spend another development year but if I were betting I see the kid coming to North America.   Either way should be fine as Canucks are not going to challenge for the Cup next year and whatever gives this kid the best next phase then you go with that.

Part of me also wants this to happen so some predictable people can then label him a bust and point to others in his draft class already in NHL.:lol:

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Did you, or anyone else on this board catch the interview with the Swedish reporter (blogger)? Sat on SN650 had him on yesterday around 10ish in the am. Very good insight into his game, his progress, and his possible future with the Canucks. He doesn't agree that EP should stay in the SHL for one more year, BUT, his GM is thinking he might. EP has been very non-committal about coming to the NHL next season, but he did allude to others, the twins, Forsberg, Nilsson, etc., who stayed 2 or 3 years after being drafted. His odds were 70%-30% he comes though. He went on to say how impressed Backlund was with EP's game, as far as poise, skill, and intensity. He named 2 more kids that are draft eligible this year, a forward and a d-man, I was driving, talking to my granddaughter, etc., but didn't get there names. Late first rounders early second this year.

I'm not convinced that he's 100% NHL ready, but I don't think he has much left to learn in the SHL. I think even if he needed to spend a few months in Utica, he'd still be learning to adapt his game to the North American rinks and stronger players.

EP could have mad that move at half the speed he did...and still beat the goalie...that was seriously the fastest, most extended dangles we have seen...ever...!

We will be seeing more of those soon...but only from EP.....

McJesus can't pull that off at that speed....EP was coming down the ice almost as fast as McD. but his dangles...went 5' too the left then 6' to the right...turning the goalie into a pile off jelly before dragging it back 5' to the right and waiting just a hair too long to deposit it into the net....as he tried to fly again...past the post....all except his thumb made it.

We don't need or want to trade EP for Dahlin...we want to trade Tanev plus our 1st this year plus our 2nd next year...maybe through in Goldy or Motte....

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

It was just a few people but it still hurts my brain.

As for Elias, a month off without one of his thumbs is a tough pill to swallow considering he could really use some upper body weight gain asap.  Hopefully it heals on schedule

Some straps and good planning of the routines Should make it work anyways ^_^

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

It was just a few people but it still hurts my brain.

As for Elias, a month off without one of his thumbs is a tough pill to swallow considering he could really use some upper body weight gain asap.  Hopefully it heals on schedule

I think there were a couple of similar posts in the draft thread. What kind of Canucks fan wouldn't have wanted the 1st overall pick?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

From what i understood he wanted to give it to someone who contributed in the Swedish Prospect threads. Has been really Fun to help you guys see what happens over here, will try to do the same with prospects over here next year if there is any.. Hopefully there will be some Fun players to Keep track of and Go Canucks Go! :gocan:

It’s been such a memorable year, both with the astonishing success of Pettersson and Dahlén in their respective league play, and the amazing team runs with Timrå qualifying for the SHL and Växjö taking home the championship, and your posts have been a big part of what’s made 2017-18 such a fun season to follow.

I don’t know if there’s any chance to come even close to a similar year next season. With all the records broken by Pettersson, the awards and titles, Timrå to SHL, and Växjö winning everything, 2017-18 just seems like one for the ages.

But I’m glad to hear you’ll be sticking around as CDC’s “boots on the ground” in Sweden. Maybe we’ll manage to add another Timrå connection and somehow (maybe by adding picks through trades) draft one of the top guys like Hållander or Olofsson? Or maybe we grab a guy like Englund in the later rounds? If nothing else, I’d say there’s a very good chance the Canucks add another Swedish prospect this draft and many more in the drafts to come.

So I’ll look forward to reading your posts on the next group of Swedish prospects to join our system, as well as continuing the discussion on Pettersson and Dahlén (and others) as they shift their careers to North American professional hockey. And just talking hockey in general, on either side of the pond.

• Upvote 3

Watched the Sweden/Swiss game. Pettersson is such a smart player, always in the right spot, and very often the player who makes things happen in O-zone, creates chances, finds open spaces  He could've had a couple of goals in this game. One being the breakaway, where he hurt his thumb. He has lots of time to heal and hopefully put on a bit of weight. I'll be pretty bummed if he stays in Sweden next year.  

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s been such a memorable year, both with the astonishing success of Pettersson and Dahlén in their respective league play, and the amazing team runs with Timrå qualifying for the SHL and Växjö taking home the championship, and your posts have been a big part of what’s made 2017-18 such a fun season to follow.

I don’t know if there’s any chance to come even close to a similar year next season. With all the records broken by Pettersson, the awards and titles, Timrå to SHL, and Växjö winning everything, 2017-18 just seems like one for the ages.

But I’m glad to hear you’ll be sticking around as CDC’s “boots on the ground” in Sweden. Maybe we’ll manage to add another Timrå connection and somehow (maybe by adding picks through trades) draft one of the top guys like Hållander or Olofsson? Or maybe we grab a guy like Englund in the later rounds? If nothing else, I’d say there’s a very good chance the Canucks add another Swedish prospect this draft and many more in the drafts to come.

So I’ll look forward to reading your posts on the next group of Swedish prospects to join our system, as well as continuing the discussion on Pettersson and Dahlén (and others) as they shift their careers to North American professional hockey. And just talking hockey in general, on either side of the pond.

Of course! Hockey is a big part of my life and as a Timrå fan (Tikare) i love to follow the Timrå players which is the reason my previous first team in the NHL was the Red Wings, now i would cheer for the Canucks Vs Red Wings with the Timrå connections and I hope that i will se the Lord Stanley here in Timrå some day brought home by Dahlén & Pettersson.. Would be an amazing feeling to see that, heard from somewhere that Dahlén wished to go on ice with Timrå and start his on-ice season early here.. Will be there to get My newsposters signed and get framed behind the Sedin Bobbleheads and wish him all luck possible breaking into the canucks line-up even if I, for Timrås best would love to see him in SHL for 1 season:rolleyes: (Timrå gets about 15% less money than the other trams as they have to pay a promotion fee to Karlskrona) and will therefore have a cheaper and less routined team.. Cant wait for next season to se what this EP stud will do in the NHL 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

Of course! Hockey is a big part of my life and as a Timrå fan (Tikare) i love to follow the Timrå players which is the reason my previous first team in the NHL was the Red Wings, now i would cheer for the Canucks Vs Red Wings with the Timrå connections and I hope that i will se the Lord Stanley here in Timrå some day brought home by Dahlén & Pettersson.. Would be an amazing feeling to see that, heard from somewhere that Dahlén wished to go on ice with Timrå and start his on-ice season early here.. Will be there to get My newsposters signed and get framed behind the Sedin Bobbleheads and wish him all luck possible breaking into the canucks line-up even if I, for Timrås best would love to see him in SHL for 1 season:rolleyes: (Timrå gets about 15% less money than the other trams as they have to pay a promotion fee to Karlskrona) and will therefore have a cheaper and less routined team.. Cant wait for next season to se what this EP stud will do in the NHL 

Im not sold on Dahlen yet personally . Not saying he wont be a good NHL r , but i dont think he as sure of a bet as some think . I will say that we will have wicked shots coming from everywhere if most of our top prospects pan out . Its actually crazy how many snipers we have now . Dahlen , Boeser , Pettersson, Gaudette all have CRAZY elite releases on their shots , and incedible hands . Its going to be really fun to watch. 

Edited by cuporbust

15 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Im not sold on Dahlen yet personally . Not saying he wont be a good NHL r , but i dont think he as sure of a bet as some think . I will say that we will have wicked shots coming from everywhere if most of our top prospects pan out . Its actually crazy how many snipers we have now . Dahlen , Boeser , Pettersson, Gaudette all have CRAZY elite releases on their shots , and incedible hands . Its going to be really fun to watch. 

I think Dahlén will be a good NHLer, his infront of net prescence is Great and he is really tough, playing a Hörnqvist (Pens) type of Game and is a player that is hard to Come by.. Come back in a few years and see! I dont doubt him succeeding at all.. His skating with open hips is hard for the Defense to read and makes his transitions in the O-zone really hard to read

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

U posted too quick . I added some more thoughts , but ya pretty much . 

3 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

I think Dahlén will be a good NHLer, his infront of net prescence is Great and he is really tough, playing a Hörnqvist (Pens) type of Game and is a player that is hard to Come by.. Come back in a few years and see! I dont doubt him succeeding at all.. His skating with open hips is hard for the Defense to read and makes his transitions in the O-zone really hard to read

Forza, I was just going to say the same thing. I think Dahlens skills set make him very crafty in the dirty areas around the net. He seems like a great cycle player and one who will find ways to score that greasy goal. His edge work is also very impressive which makes him elusive. I'm hoping for a ceiling of a JVR in perfect world. A great complimentary player to the possession puck handlers like EP. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Forza, I was just going to say the same thing. I think Dahlens skills set make him very crafty in the dirty areas around the net. He seems like a great cycle player and one who will find ways to score that greasy goal. His edge work is also very impressive which makes him elusive. I'm hoping for a ceiling of a JVR in perfect world. A great complimentary player to the possession puck handlers like EP. 

I agree. Ya not slamming him by any means , just want to see more play against higher competition is all. 5 goals in 7 world junior games was very promising , and played well in utica for his 2 games 4 sure , just wish he had made the jump from the swedish div 1 team this year. He has the tools , and from his junior championship performace seems to rise when the stakes are higher . Looks good just want to see a larger sample of higher competion ( like everyone else im sure).

• Cheers 1