The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

11 hours ago, cory40 said:

You could also see his slight frame as a plus, knowing that he has a lot of room to grow. If he can get stronger, he could be more than just a first-line centre; he could be a franchise forward and a future star, which is how a Swedish scout described him to Corey Pronman.

My retinas are burning

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Why the hell does it matter if people think he should stay another year in Sweden?  There is no downside to a player staying an extra year in the minors,junior or over seas especially if the player is 165 pounds and has never played on N.A ice.

Boeser didn't come over until he was 20 and I didn't hear anybody complaining about that.  Virtanen and McCann came here when they were 19 and how did that turn out?  Sometimes players benefit hugely from one more year outside the NHL before coming over.  Stop trying to make people feel stupid for something you would of been defending if it would of happened anyways

I do agree with you to a point.  Players, who are phenomenal, like Elias looks to be, will have a longer window of leading us to to Cups the sooner he gets here.  He’s already taken one extra year, he obviously didn’t need, and he won everything over there.  Now he should start winning everything over here.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I didn't do that at all but ok.  Nice effort.

You are making it sound like there was absolutely no downside to him being injured which there is, and I had to make you admit that it just isn't true which you were reluctant to do because you will never say anything negative about the team.  I made you admit it, but it was pathetic watching you try to tip toe around it. Lol so soft 

You can go back the last two pages and see numerous times me saying that is a minor inconveniance and not that big of a deal, but it is slightly disappointing and why the hell wouldn't it be.  Stop trying to make it sound like I am overreacting, literally all I'm doing is trying to make people stop sugar coating everything.  

You guys are whack 

I’ve got to give it to you 5th... you’re nothing if not persistent :huh:

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

These expectations are ridiculous but whatever, I know you're just gonna do you so I'm not even gonna bother.

I look at the Twins, and how it took them to their mid to late 20’s to be great.  That meant they had a short window for Cup chances, which proved correct.  Pettersson is way better than the Twins.  He starts with us at 20, and he’s great right away.  That gives us a 10 to 12 year window for him to get us a Cup or three.  Kane, Toews, Crosby, and Malkin cp e to mind as young stars who lead their team to Cups and did so during a prolonged open window.  The sooner Elias is here, the longer the window for him is open.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Why the hell does it matter if people think he should stay another year in Sweden?  There is no downside to a player staying an extra year in the minors,junior or over seas especially if the player is 165 pounds and has never played on N.A ice.

Boeser didn't come over until he was 20 and I didn't hear anybody complaining about that.  Virtanen and McCann came here when they were 19 and how did that turn out?  Sometimes players benefit hugely from one more year outside the NHL before coming over.  Stop trying to make people feel stupid for something you would of been defending if it would of happened anyways

And by the way, there are a few thousand members on this board so I don't know why you seem confused when different opinions are expressed.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I do agree with you to a point.  Players, who are phenomenal, like Elias looks to be, will have a longer window of leading us to to Cups the sooner he gets here.  He’s already taken one extra year, he obviously didn’t need, and he won everything over there.  Now he should start winning everything over here.

People who are obsessing during the late Spring over when Pettersson will sign with the Canucks (or if he will sign) are probably exhibiting some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder. But I am one of those people, so here are my thoughts.

We know five facts.

1. The Canucks want Pettersson to sign.

2. Pettersson has not signed yet.

3. The Vaxjo GM has said he wants Pettersson back next year.

4. Pettersson's agent has said "no comment".

5. Various "insiders" claim that "sources" indicate that Pettersson is "expected" to sign soon.

That is not much to go on. But here are the inferences I would draw.

1. Fact 2 suggests that Pettersson is thinking things over. He has not had a lot time to process the situation since being knocked out of the IIHF championship due to injury and, even now, is probably focusing on his injury and possibly on Sweden's performance as the tournament continues. But it is not 100% that he signs this summer. If it was a slam dunk, he probably would already have signed. 

2. I expect that Pettersson is asking for a similar provision to the one Tryamkin got -- that if he does not make the big team out of the camp he has the option to return to Sweden. Even if the Canucks have Pettersson under contract, he can always be loaned to Vaxjo (as with Dahlen this past year). If that is what he wants, I think the Canucks should go with it. But maybe that is a sticking point.

3. There is strong financial incentive for Pettersson to sign with the Canucks. The sooner he signs, the sooner his ELC expires, and the sooner he can cash in for a big money contract -- and the more big money years he will get in his career in total. And even the ELC probably pays a lot more than Pettersson would get at Vaxjo, assuming Pettersson plays on the Canucks. (Playing in Utica would of course pay a lot less than playing in Vaxjo.)

4. No-one really knows if Pettersson is "ready" to play in the NHL. Based on data and league translation factors he should be able to perform at a solid second line level next year in the NHL and move on from there. But there is always a lot of uncertainty. But it makes sense that Pettersson would want to see how he does in camp and play in the NHL if he and the team feel he is ready this coming year.

5. It would be absurdly costly for Pettersson to "play out his option" and never sign with the Canucks. And there is no reason to believe he would prefer another NHL team or prefer to stay in Europe.

6. In the long run it does not hurt the Canucks if Pettersson does not sign this summer (assuming he does sign eventually). They would still get him for 7 years before he becomes a UFA (I just checked the CBA again) and would, in effect, trade this coming year for the year when he turns 27 -- when he should be at his peak. And they will delay facing his first "big money RFA contract. We are all impatient (as is Benning) and want to see Pettersson play on the Canucks. (And I mean NOW, DAGNABIT!). But waiting another year is not so bad.

Bottom Line: I predict that Pettersson will sign within two or three weeks and will have an "out  clause" to avoid Utica. I predict he will make the team out of camp and have a solid rookie season, performing at a good second line level in the NHL. With luck, he could be a Calder candidate.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Okay I understand but the sooner he gets here doesn't help us get a cup faster, it depends on how fast he develops and he just very well might of not progressed nearly as well if he was on the team this year.  He's not a McDavid type player you plug in then watch dominate at the age of 18.  It's not obvious that he should of been here this year, nobody knows the answer to that question and we never will.

Pettersson lead his SHL team to the championship.  He’s ready.  

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Yeah and I'm thinking that was much more valuable in terms of development than it would of been if he were on the Canucks this year don't ya think?

Yup.  And now it’s time for the “Golden One” to lead our boys to some Silver Chalices.   :towel:

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I didn't do that at all but ok.  Nice effort.

You are making it sound like there was absolutely no downside to him being injured which there is, and I had to make you admit that it just isn't true which you were reluctant to do because you will never say anything negative about the team.  I made you admit it, but it was pathetic watching you try to tip toe around it. Lol so soft 

You can go back the last two pages and see numerous times me saying that is a minor inconveniance and not that big of a deal, but it is slightly disappointing and why the hell wouldn't it be.  Stop trying to make it sound like I am overreacting, literally all I'm doing is trying to make people stop sugar coating everything.  

You guys are whack 

Some people ask why I bother to come to this site.    Well, this is one.  Pure gold you are!    Thanks for this.   Seriously, you make me laugh as hard as any Netflix comedy special.   I know you are not serious with your shtick but you are very good and probably do stand up on the weekends and simply kill it!   :)

Keep it up.  Golden buddy.....simply golden.  :lol:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Some people ask why I bother to come to this site.    Well, this is one.  Pure gold you are!    Thanks for this.   Seriously, you make me laugh as hard as any Netflix comedy special.   I know you are not serious with your shtick but you are very good and probably do stand up on the weekends and simply kill it!   :)

Keep it up.  Golden buddy.....simply golden.  :lol:

For any true Canuck’s fan to find negative stuff to write about Pettersson (our real hope for a better future) they must have an ulterior motive, right?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

For any true Canuck’s fan to find negative stuff to write about Pettersson (our real hope for a better future) they must have an ulterior motive, right?

I really tried to write something negative about Pettersson - I just can't. His light weight doesn't even seem to work against him.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I really tried to write something negative about Pettersson - I just can't. His light weight doesn't even seem to work against him.

His neck sometimes looks to long for any natural human. That's literally the only thing I can come up with.

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Aren't you in Europe, ya know, doing your scouting and stuff?  Why do you post when it is middle of the day over here and 2/3/4/5am over there?

Wound up after games.   Been a night owl since I can remember.   Habit.   Partner who does shifts.   Don’t run my life by a clock.   Take your pick - all apply to some degree.

oh, and stay hilarious!   :)