The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

3 hours ago, stawns said:

i don't think Hughes skillset is going to transfer to the NHL as easily.

It sure seems to transfer fine at the world championships.  and no offence but Jim Benning also thought it transferred fine.

"He's an exceptional skater, he's a smart player. Watching him at the World Championships, he didn't look out of place against men."

-Benning

6 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

We can’t really go wrong, this is a deep draft for the first 10-12 picks. The only guy I would be kind of disappointed in taking ranked in the top 10, would be Boqvist. Not that he’s a bad pick, I’d just prefer other players in the top 10. I have my heart set on Bouchard. He’s not the fastest player out there but he’s a big right D and has A++ hockey iq. We never take who I personally want though, so we are probably taking Boqvist. 

Not saying my opinion is worth more than yours because it isn't. However I take Boq 10/10 over Bouchard. Boqvist has a cannon and his hockey IQ is up there in top 5 too.  Bouchard has both of those things as well but Boq has elite skating and Bouchard does not and I don't think his size tips the scales as he doesn't really use it.

Neither here nor there for me I want Tkachuk/Hughes 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Nothing about injury came up. He simply said he didn't feel he had enough time to prepare.

It's not something I'm worried about. However if there's a team in the top 6 that wanted to see his combine results before drafting him, it might be enough to tip the scales against him.

At this point I would not be surprised if Dobson and Bouchard have jumped ahead of him in scouts minds.

I wouldn't think much about it. The combine tests aren't even routines geared towards playing.  I did hockey training with NHLer for a good chunk of my hockey playing days and things like bench press and pull ups were the last things we ever did because it doesn't translate to in game.  I wish they updated the combine, added on ice testing, hardest shot, puck control, shot accuracy, skating and mobility.  Then the results would be much more meaningful and it would also be much more entertaining for fans. 

I know this is already common knowledge but Botchford is a moron. Freaking out on the radio about Tkachuks 8 goals on the season. He was making Pratt look sane. Tkachuk was playing college hockey at 17-18 years old you fool. 8 goals isn’t earth shattering, but isn’t too shabby considering his style of play and the league he was in.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

I'm scared Hughes is going to be the next Noah Hanifin. Great skater. Good puck skills but lack a shot and nothing more than a 30 point guy.  :/ I dont know enough about these guys to really gauge their future tho.  Boqvist if he is gonna be a good player I want him.

What are you talking about? Hughes was a considerable bit better than Hanifin offensively at the NCAA level in their respective draft years. 

Hanifin: 5 goals. 18 assists for 23 points in 37 games (0.62) - 7th in team scoring (3rd among defensemen)

Hughes: 5 goals, 24 assists for 29 points in 37 games (0.78 PPG) - 3rd in team scoring (1st among defensemen)

Edler had 34 points this year as our #1 defenseman and Hughes could potentially be a more dynamic offensive player. 

3 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I know this is already common knowledge but Botchford is a moron. Freaking out on the radio about Tkachuks 8 goals on the season. He was making Pratt look sane. Tkachuk was playing college hockey at 17-18 years old you fool. 8 goals isn’t earth shattering, but isn’t too shabby considering his style of play and the league he was in.

Botchford doesn't know that there's a difference between junior and NCAA most likely. He likely does a straight across comparison to players putting up 40+ goals in the CHL.

Again, I have a tough time seeing him getting past Arizona at 5th. I would guess that he's their preference among defensemen and they'll be taking a defenseman unless they like Zadina and he drops. 

But imagine a Chychrun - Dobson shutdown pairing in the future :o

Interesting. This poll has Hughes getting 59% of the vote. Dobson is at 20%, Boqvist at 16% and Bouchard at a whopping 5%. 

It's just one poll by one guy with the public, but I just thought it was interesting that there was such a big gap between the top option and the worst option. 

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

I've heard the lower end projections for Boqvist he would project to b like a Sami Vatanen. Definitely not a bad low-end projection.  The kid clearly has talent. It's whether he feels comfortable enough to use it with the limited time/space at the nhl level. he would probably follow a similar timeline to Juolevi.  2-3 years post draft. 

Bouchard would be possible in the lineup next year 

Hughes probably could play next year but is committed to his college for next year

Dobson is extremely raw, experts predict a 2-3 year timeline for him.

I’d rather wait the three years for a guy to reach an elite ceiling, than have a guy who plays sooner, but who levels off as just mediocre.  I see a lot of mediocrity in Bouchard.  Dobson doesn’t skate good enough for my liking.  

Im all in for Boqvist.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Nothing about injury came up. He simply said he didn't feel he had enough time to prepare.

It's not something I'm worried about. However if there's a team in the top 6 that wanted to see his combine results before drafting him, it might be enough to tip the scales against him.

At this point I would not be surprised if Dobson and Bouchard have jumped ahead of him in scouts minds.

Fair enough - i just see it differently cause I'm pretty sure scouts got a good look at him all year, NCAA, World Jrs, Frozen Four, WC with NHLers, plus combine interviews.

And I haven't seen a single negative word said by any insiders/analysts/scouts etc about him not participating being an issue of any kind.

But regardless hope you are right. Because outside of Dahlin and Svechnikov he's my favorite prospect in this draft.

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’d rather wait the three years for a guy to reach an elite ceiling, than have a guy who plays sooner, but who levels off as just mediocre.  I see a lot of mediocrity in Bouchard.  Dobson doesn’t skate good enough for my liking.  

Im all in for Boqvist.

The red flag for me on Boqvist is he is a bit of a shrinking violet. Don't get me wrong I would throw my full support behind the pick if he is who we end up with there is so much to like. Hughes though smaller has more of the stuff you find in the basement when it's time to move, Boqvist tends to play hot potato when the pressure is on.  

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Im all in for Boqvist.

I'm with you Alfy Buddy. He's the passion pick for me. Id gladly Bouchard to if they feel he's better. I can trust Jim and crew know who's got better chance. I just hope they don't take the safe pick to be safe.  I am on the Boqvist hype train skill, skill, skill

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I'm with you Alfy Buddy. He's the passion pick for me. Id gladly Bouchard to if they feel he's better. I can trust Jim and crew know who's got better chance. I just hope they don't take the safe pick to be safe.  I am on the Boqvist hype train skill, skill, skill

Like you, I will 100% support JB’s pick.  He’s forgotten more about hockey than I know. 

15 minutes ago, hammertime said:

The red flag for me on Boqvist is he is a bit of a shrinking violet. Don't get me wrong I would throw my full support behind the pick if he is who we end up with there is so much to like. Hughes though smaller has more of the stuff you find in the basement when it's time to move, Boqvist tends to play hot potato when the pressure is on.  

Yeah Boqvist has struggled especially at higher levels of competition. Some believe this is due to substantially less minutes reducing his comfort and confidence.  

Some scouts believe Boqvist is better defensively then Hughes. Issue is Hughes always had the puck so he rarely gets to play defense. Apparently he's pretty weak there.

Hughes has maybe slightly better skating the Boqvist but his shot can't really compare.  I'm all in on Boqvist or Bouchard. If we get Dobson that's fine too. Hughes could be good but we got Tryamkin possibly returning. Probably shouldn't bank on it tho.

Just now, DontMessMe said:

I feel im a small minority that really really wants Wahlstrom 

I'd be pretty happy with him being taken by the Canucks, we need scoring and badly, same with offense minded dmen, but Wahlstrom is already passed Boeser development wise than when Boeser was in his draft year, (not now), and I don't want him going to Chicago or Edmonton.  I can just hear Shorty and Cheech calling, 'and Petterson passes the puck to Wahlstrom, back to Petterson, back to Wahlstrom, he shoots he scores!!!'

Archived