The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

2 minutes ago, OneSeventeen said:

I agree he's not ready. 

But come on, once the team saw that he was starting after the morning practice they should have at least realized that they all needed to make adjustments to protect him. A 19 year old goalie does not have a lot of those goals. 

When you're practicing with a 19 year old and your current starter is consistently playing and at times over taxed, there has to be some kind of cognitive awareness that the 19 year old might be given a start in an NHL game. And if that happens, the team and coaching staff should have taken precautions. 

Having a 19 year old goalie start should be a major signal that the game can't be approached like business as usual. 

Missing

#1lw

#3C (top pk)

#1D (top pk & top pp) 

This game was anything but business as usual. Its business in the infirmary.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Dipietro is wondering if he’s got the size to be an NHL goalie now too.  I think the kid needs to play the next game.  He’s done if he doesn’t get in right away, and gain some confidence.  If he is crappy again, then we know to let him walk.  

I don't think it would be fair to him. He's still a teen playing against men. He did what he could with what he had to work with (not much) and got $&!# on. It is what it is. If anything got a taste for what's expected 4-5 years down the road when he should be getting another shot. Let him develop into a man himself. Give him time to work on his reflexes/positioning and time with Clark. 

16 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

No expectations at all, i just used Brodeur as someone used as an emergency. Tsn had a thing on Marty when he retired and the former players were talking about him getting the callup and no one thought he was anything special, just another goalie at the time. It was the next year he played a bit in the A and then came in and won the calder.

I'm not looking at Dipietro in any of the above comparison but at the end of the day it is just one game, if he plays another game... no big deal either.

Brodeur spent his first pro season in Utica.  He came in highly touted as a can't miss prospect but to be honest his season in Utica was nothing special.  The next season in New Jersey as you said he was awesome and won the Calder.  

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, therodigy said:

Here's my attempt to find some optimism in this issue:

- It's a nice learning experience for him. He seems to have the determination to constantly improve his craft, and even though I feel his first start should've been against the ducks tomorrow, it gives him an opportunity to experience NHL level game-play, especially from a top tier team in front of a subpar defense.

- It acts as further testament to management to fix their goaltending depth. It's not fair to subject your 5TH STRING GOALTENDER (Behind Demko, Bachman, and to a certain extent, Leighton/Kulbakov) to the inevitable shelling. I've thrown this out in a couple of other topics, including the PGT, but if management maintains status quo, than we're a stubbed finger or cough away from DiPietro being the undisputed starter before Demko comes back. It's atrocious.

I wasn't expecting to see DP start last night, and was actually quite excited about it. With that said, once I remembered we were playing the Sharks, my heart sank a bit. Glad he's keeping his chin up, in any event. 

To be fair, if we were playing Arizona or something that would have at least been alright, but exactly my point with San Jose. Of all the game to feed him to the wolves, that's not exactly a game you want to have to sink or swim in as your first game in my opinion.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Brodeur spent his first pro season in Utica.  He came in highly touted as a can't miss prospect but to be honest his season in Utica was nothing special.  The next season in New Jersey as you said he was awesome and won the Calder.  

I see that, thanks for the correction. I was under the impression he only played a part season in the A.  The year before though he did play 4 games for the Devils and 1 was a playoff game. What a talent he was!

20 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

No expectations at all, i just used Brodeur as someone used as an emergency. Tsn had a thing on Marty when he retired and the former players were talking about him getting the callup and no one thought he was anything special, just another goalie at the time. It was the next year he played a bit in the A and then came in and won the calder.

I'm not looking at Dipietro in any of the above comparison but at the end of the day it is just one game, if he plays another game... no big deal either.

I realise the intention on mentioning Brodeur, I just don't think it's a good comparison given Brodeur's career in the end (and it was a comparison otherwise why bring him up? ;))

The thing is, I think it is a big deal. These are big games for DiPietro. This is a huge deal for him. Put yourself in his shoes. You (as a team, not blaming him for this) fail to get Canada a medal at the world juniors. Not even 2 months later, you fall 7-2 in your first NHL game that you probably weren't even expecting to play in a week ago? What kind of impact does that have on you? Could it be positive? Possibly. Could it be negative. Also possibly. Is it worth the risk? That last question is where I have the issue.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I realise the intention on mentioning Brodeur, I just don't think it's a good comparison given Brodeur's career in the end (and it was a comparison otherwise why bring him up? ;))

The thing is, I think it is a big deal. These are big games for DiPietro. This is a huge deal for him. Put yourself in his shoes. You (as a team, not blaming him for this) fail to get Canada a medal at the world juniors. Not even 2 months later, you fall 7-2 in your first NHL game that you probably weren't even expecting to play in a week ago? What kind of impact does that have on you? Could it be positive? Possibly. Could it be negative. Also possibly. Is it worth the risk? That last question is where I have the issue.

After the game Green said he had no choice but to play the kid.  Isn’t that on JB?

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

After the game Green said he had no choice but to play the kid.  Isn’t that on JB?

Green had no choice. That's a given and in no way would I blame Green for this. From Green's shoes, he has the team he is given in front of him and sometimes you just don't have control over who to play if you on'y have 1 person who can play that position.

I do think that JB could have tried other means of finding a temporary backup. McKenna was taken from waivers how long ago now? Perhaps there was no issue in bringing up Demko at that point but I would like to think having a backup plan for your backup plan would be a good idea seeing as the original plan clearly didn't work.

Even without planning. was there really anything stopping JB from recruiting a temporary goalie from somewhere like UBC? I understand perhaps wanting to give DiPietro the chance, but it's such a risk on your potential future. That's where I get baffled by all of this.

EDIT: I just want to point out that I like Benning's moves for the most part and in no way am I changing that tone here. This is one of the only head-scratchers I've really had.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I would hope Mikey knows that not medaling at the world juniors is in no way on him. The team was the one who let him down, not the other way around.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I would hope Mikey knows that not medaling at the world juniors is in no way on him. The team was the one who let him down, not the other way around.

And I specified that it wasn't on him. I hope so too but from what I've heard on here he did need time to bounce back. I could be mistaken on that though as I've been busy and not had much time to focus on anything other than school since January.

Edited by The Lock

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

@HerrDrFunk  I don’t understand bringing up D men, and not playing them because they’re not ready, and then putting Dipietro as the backup to Marky, knowing that the kid is one injury away from what we saw happen last night.  This whole scenario is nuts! 

Just now, Alflives said:

@HerrDrFunk  I don’t understand bringing up D men, and not playing them because they’re not ready, and then putting Dipietro as the backup to Marky, knowing that the kid is one injury away from what we saw happen last night.  This whole scenario is nuts! 

Well, with defense, Green would have had a choice. That part I understand. There are more than 3x more defenders than there are goalies suited up so goalies tend to be much more volatile in terms of who can play. ;)

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JB should not have waited 5 weeks after the Nilsson trade to do something about the goalie depth.  Hope is hot a good managerial strategy yet that is the path he chose to take.

1. Hope that McKenna will pass through waivers after trading Nisson for him.
  2. Hope that neither Markstrom or Demko will get injured while we wait for the Flyers to put McKenna back on waivers.
  3. Hope that Demko's injury is only day to day.
  4. Hope that Markstrom doesn't get injured before Demko is back.
  5. Hope that DiPietro can handle a game or two in the NHL
  6. Hope that this whole mess will fix itself before I have to actually do something.

I'm sure that DiPietro loved getting the opportunity to play an NHL game but it is up to Benning to guard against putting this kid into that situation.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1