Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

At the end of the day it is the organization's responsibility to put it's personnel in the best position to succeed. I cannot even remember the last time a junior goalie's first experience in the pros came in the NHL let alone a team teeming with offensive talent like the Sharks. There is really no way to sugar coat this, it was a travesty. It's like telling your friend who just got his ass handed to him "You got your teeth kicked in but think of all that character you gained in the process". Dipietro seems like a strong enough kid to move past this but this doesn't mean he should have to. Anyone who has played sports will tell you that confidence and self-belief is half the battle especially at the goalie position. 

Edited by Toews
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Toews said:

At the end of the day it is the organization's responsibility to put it's personnel in the best position to succeed. I cannot even remember the last time a junior goalie's first experience in the pros came in the NHL let alone a team teeming with offensive talent like the Sharks. There is really no way to sugar coat this, it was a travesty. It's like telling your friend who just got his ass handed to him "You got your teeth kicked in but think of all that character you gained in the process". Dipietro seems like a strong enough kid to move past this but this doesn't mean he should have to. Anyone who has played sports will tell you that confidence and self-belief is half the battle especially at the goalie position. 

Agreed. Like I've said earlier, I don't see why this should have happened at all. Management had plenty of time to bring in another goalie and it doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to see that we needed another goalie for the just in case scenarios. Perhaps JB didn't want to give up a pick, but this is one of those unfortunate situations where it just has to happen.

 

Ultimately, I don't think it'll affect DiPietro too much as obviously a goalie is going to have losing games anyway, but there is that risk still. I realise that if a goalie is shaken by these things, it's not a good sign anyway lol, but why take the risk when you don't have to?

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Agreed. Like I've said earlier, I don't see why this should have happened at all. Management had plenty of time to bring in another goalie and it doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to see that we needed another goalie for the just in case scenarios. Perhaps JB didn't want to give up a pick, but this is one of those unfortunate situations where it just has to happen.

 

Ultimately, I don't think it'll affect DiPietro too much as obviously a goalie is going to have losing games anyway, but there is that risk still. I realise that if a goalie is shaken by these things, it's not a good sign anyway lol, but why take the risk when you don't have to?

It certainly is rolling the dice and see what happens kind of scenario. JB was sure quick to sign someone the next day!

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

It certainly is rolling the dice and see what happens kind of scenario. JB was sure quick to sign someone the next day!

The fact that he signed someone the next day is almost complete proof that he could have done such a thing the week before. lol

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so, like not actual proof? 

Correct as we don't know what actually happens behind closed doors; however, if it only took 1 day for him to sign someone afterwards, it does prove that it can be done. The question then comes "Did any attempt actually happen before the game?"

 

Unlike a lot of people here, I know what a fact is and isn't. The fact is a goalie was traded for a day after. The proof is that it can be done as it was done. Beyond that, it's speculation, yet still highly suspicious.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Toews said:

At the end of the day it is the organization's responsibility to put it's personnel in the best position to succeed. I cannot even remember the last time a junior goalie's first experience in the pros came in the NHL let alone a team teeming with offensive talent like the Sharks. There is really no way to sugar coat this, it was a travesty. It's like telling your friend who just got his ass handed to him "You got your teeth kicked in but think of all that character you gained in the process". Dipietro seems like a strong enough kid to move past this but this doesn't mean he should have to. Anyone who has played sports will tell you that confidence and self-belief is half the battle especially at the goalie position. 

I guess you don't remember what happened to Vegas last year when they had a barrage of injuries to their goalies? Dylan Ferguson from the CHL had to suit up and play.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Correct as we don't know what actually happens behind closed doors; however, if it only took 1 day for him to sign someone afterwards, it does prove that it can be done. The question then comes "Did any attempt actually happen before the game?"

 

Unlike a lot of people here, I know what a fact is and isn't. The fact is a goalie was traded for a day after. The proof is that it can be done as it was done. Beyond that, it's speculation, yet still highly suspicious.

well we just don't know. I don't think Jim being stingy with picks is the worst thing ever. People are making way too much out of this, Mikey will be just fine. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well we just don't know. I don't think Jim being stingy with picks is the worst thing ever. People are making way too much out of this, Mikey will be just fine. 

As I've said, I'm more worried about why we took the risk to begin with. At least we can agree that we just don't know what happened. What's done is done anyway.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Correct as we don't know what actually happens behind closed doors; however, if it only took 1 day for him to sign someone afterwards, it does prove that it can be done. The question then comes "Did any attempt actually happen before the game?"

 

Unlike a lot of people here, I know what a fact is and isn't. The fact is a goalie was traded for a day after. The proof is that it can be done as it was done. Beyond that, it's speculation, yet still highly suspicious.

Alternatively, the thought process may have been that they can't keep DiPietro here long anyways so they needed another goalie regardless of the outcome that night. I believe the emergency call up rule is that once the emergency is over, the player must be returned to the club he normally plays for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Lock said:

As I've said, I'm more worried about why we took the risk to begin with. At least we can agree that we just don't know what happened. What's done is done anyway.

Maz became available as NYR wanted to recall Halverson to the AHL from the ECHL.

 

Also:

 

https://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks-trade-for-veteran-goaltender-marek-mazanec/wcm/e6970341-0a8f-4493-a9e8-f3bfba38ebaf

Quote

He was also the right price, Benning admitted. He could have made a trade before this week, but didn’t like the prices being asked.

 

“Some of the other guys on the list, teams wanted second- and third-round picks for. I didn’t want to do that, to trade second- or third-round picks, with us hosting the draft (this) year.”

Quote

When the Canucks lost Mike McKenna on waivers a month ago, Benning started looking for a replacement. They’ve had 37-year-old NHL veteran Michael Leighton signed to a short-term AHL contract for the past few weeks, but he wasn’t really going to be an option for the big-league club, Benning and his staff eventually determined.

 

And looking at another AHL goalie, one with NHL experience but not currently tied to a big-league club, doesn’t seem to have been really considered. “There’s no one else really out there,” Benning has said before about the possibility of finding a free agent.

 

With the Rangers looking to promote Brandon Halverson full-time to Hartford from the ECHL, they were now ready to part with Mazanec.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aGENT said:

“I didn’t want to do that, to trade second- or third-round picks, with us hosting the draft (this) year.”

This is the second or third time I’ve hear Benning say something like this in recent months. 

 

I like that he’s not willing to part with high picks. But don’t really like the bolded part. It really shouldn’t matter where the draft is being held. This team is not in a position to be moving picks, unless it’s to improve draft position, or to acquire a young, core piece. Otherwise, we need to keep all our picks, and add more wherever possible.

 

I’m thinking somebody needs to convince JB that Vancouver is hosting the next 5 drafts. Watch him get to work hoarding picks to please the hometown crowd. ;) 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

This is the second or third time I’ve hear Benning say something like this in recent months. 

 

I like that he’s not willing to part with high picks. But don’t really like the bolded part. It really shouldn’t matter where the draft is being held. This team is not in a position to be moving picks, unless it’s to improve draft position, or to acquire a young, core piece. Otherwise, we need to keep all our picks, and add more wherever possible.

 

I’m thinking somebody needs to convince JB that Vancouver is hosting the next 5 drafts. Watch him get to work hoarding picks to please the hometown crowd. ;) 

Yep, also makes you wonder if he's going to try to do something exciting on draft day. Like trade Tanev or Sutter for a high pick. Or maybe even try and move up in the first round through the use of our 2020 picks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In regards to Mazanek:

 

image.thumb.png.d811a491073c469e0d91a52ae33a5a13.png

 

I know a lot of teams are/were scrambling for goalies. Which is why I wonder why could he only get a 6th round pick and a waiver eligible career AHL goalie for Nilsson who is an NHL goalie on an expiring contract?  Subsequently losing McKenna on waivers and ending up with only a 6th round pick for Nilsson.  

 

The Flyers and Senators say thank you.

Edited by Borvat
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...