The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs sign Timothy Liljegren

1 hour ago, Hortankin said:

Leafs got the steal of the draft IMO

Mono affected his draft stock more than people think.

Really wish JB made a ballsy move and traded Tanev for that pick, but JB has done so many great things I'll let it slide

Why does everyone think it was only mono that caused him to drop in the rankings and at the draft? By that logic, Nolan Patrick should have dropped  at least 6-8 spots because he missed so much time to injury. Obviously there was more to TL's drop than just mono, and NP was good enough for scouts to overlook his lack of games played.

3 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

Why does everyone think it was only mono that caused him to drop in the rankings and at the draft? By that logic, Nolan Patrick should have dropped  at least 6-8 spots because he missed so much time to injury. Obviously there was more to TL's drop than just mono, and NP was good enough for scouts to overlook his lack of games played.

He dropped because he was actually playing the season. Mono wears you down for quite a while even after you don't have it anymore.

I honestly didn't know Patrick had mono I just thought he was hurt. But if it was mono he's probably going to have a long season next year like Liljegren did last season

32 minutes ago, Losing With Pride said:

Could end up being the steal of the first round of the draft.

IMHAO he's too soft, and will likely play a lot like that Larsen guy we had last season.  I see him in the Euro leagues long term.  

2 hours ago, Hortankin said:

He dropped because he was actually playing the season. Mono wears you down for quite a while even after you don't have it anymore.

I honestly didn't know Patrick had mono I just thought he was hurt. But if it was mono he's probably going to have a long season next year like Liljegren did last season

All I'm saying is most people realize mono takes a lot out of you. I've had it. I would think most teams would realize this and wouldn't put so much weight on just the mono effecting TL's drop in the rankings. There must've been other factors as well. Last I heard, teams had a medical staff that could probably give this knowledge to scouts and management. :P

13 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Canucks signed Olli Juolevi to a three-year, entry-level contract last summer.

Damn! I can't even beat VC to break the news of the one year anniversary of signings. :P

13 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

glad they have their cam Barker.  there is a reason why he dropped. Wish Calgary drafted him. 

there is a reason why he dropped,there is also a reason why he was the only guy we didn't interview.

We didn't interview the guy? Give everyone a chance!

glad they have their cam Barker.  there is a reason why he dropped. Wish Calgary drafted him. 

there is a reason why he dropped,there is also a reason why he was the only guy we didn't interview.

Are you implying that he has a substance abuse problem? I wasn't aware of any addiction issues.

Just now, coryberg said:

Are you implying that he has a substance abuse problem? I wasn't aware of any addiction issues.

Where do you get druggy from that post?  The guy dropped because he's a Schroeder; too small, soft, and just not very good.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Where do you get druggy from that post?  The guy dropped because he's a Schroeder; too small, soft, and just not very good.  

glad they have their cam Barker. 

Cam barker struggled mightily with alcoholism. Was his major downfall.

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Hope he's a bust

I would rather be the kind of fan who roots for our players to succeed than hopes that an 18 year old kid from a rival team fails. If its a somewhat arrogant kid like Tkachuk with a rich father then I somewhat get it. But Timothy was raised by a single mother with three boys.

So when Timothy Liljegren was a youngster — a 14-year-old playing against much older players — scouts encouraged his mother, Lina, to let her son move to a town with a better hockey program.

What was the single mother of three boys to do?

“We moved,” the mother said, “so he could play with guys the same age. I moved with him because he was just 14.”

The family moved 100 or so kilometres west, to Angelholm, home of the hockey program of Rogle BK of the Swedish Hockey League. That program produced former Maple Leafs defenceman Kenny Jonsson.

“They always told me: ‘Your son is a very good hockey player,” Lina Liljegren said. “I wanted to give him every chance to he could to carry on, to get better.”

“I almost cried, I was so happy,” she said. “Since he was a little kid, I drove him to hockey, it’s all he wanted. I have three boys. I am alone with the boys. It has been so much work, but to see Timothy to grow up and be that good a hockey player, it’s unbelievable.”

“He’s very honest about his game. That’s important,” Hunter said. “Some young men think they’re good when they’re bad. He’s very humble and honest for where he has to go. That’s important for a hockey player.”

I believe Tyson Jost has a similar background. There was a heartwarming scene with his grandfather sobbing. Due to the absence of a father the grandparents tried to fill the void.

There are lots of stories like this and there is the reality that many of these kids will undoubtedly not make it to the end. I don't see the point of rooting against them though just because they wear a different jersey, I would rather root against them when they are men and are wearing the jersey full time.

1 minute ago, Toews said:

I would rather be the kind of fan who roots for our players to succeed than hopes that an 18 year old kid from a rival team fails. If its a somewhat arrogant kid like Tkachuk with a rich father then I somewhat get it. But Timothy was raised by a single mother with three boys.

I would rather be the fan that wishes nothing but unending misery and horrible mis-fortune on a few opposing select teams

4 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I would rather be the fan that wishes nothing but unending misery and horrible mis-fortune on a few opposing select teams

Sure and you can do that without rooting for an 18 year old kid to fail but to each their own.

Archived