The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Re-Signing] Severson locked up for 6 more years

DoughtysCheck

In it for the long haul. @dseves7 is locked up on a six-year deal!

NEWARK, N.J. — The New Jersey Devils have signed defenceman Damon Severson to a six-year, $25 million contract that will keep him with the team through the 2022-23 season.

Devils General Manager Ray Shero announced the signing on Monday.

The 23-year-old Severson will earn $2.5 million this season and his salary will escalate to $5.1 million in the final year.

Severson set career highs with 28 assists and 31 points in 80 regular-season games last season, leading all New Jersey defencemen in assists and points.

"Damon brings an important dimension to our hockey club and he is a young defenceman that we are excited to work with," Shero said. "This deal shows our ownership’s commitment in what we continue to build here."

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Never heard of this player.  Plus, didn't Schneider have an off year?  Maybe, these types of D are more of a problem to a team than help?  Seems a lot for the guy.  

Jersey has defense problems, but Severson isn't one of them. He's part of the solution going forward. Great contract.

Pfff I'm glad we picked Mallet instead. Severson was one of the bpa in that second round, but MG decided to pick the rough and tough Mallet instead. There's a lot of Bennington hate on these and HF boards, but in terms of drafting Benning>>>>MG in the grand scheme of things. Just wish we picked up Nylander, and Tkatchuck instead as they were my personal picks in those draft positions but eh Bennings later round picks have been pretty good so far.  

Watching us skip yet another great Rocket D man hurt.  One of my biggest gripes against the organization is seeing them continually ignore players from the Rockets system, especially defesemen.

Severson was and is a stud.  I loved watching him play for the rockets organization.  Jersey got an absolute win with this deal.  He might never win a Norris because he doesn't produce that kind of point production.  But he will absolutely be the kind of defenseman you can see putting a team on his back and winning with

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Watching us skip yet another great Rocket D man hurt.  One of my biggest gripes against the organization is seeing them continually ignore players from the Rockets system, especially defesemen.

Severson was and is a stud.  I loved watching him play for the rockets organization.  Jersey got an absolute win with this deal.  He might never win a Norris because he doesn't produce that kind of point production.  But he will absolutely be the kind of defenseman you can see putting a team on his back and winning with

I agree. Would you compare him to a Rafalski type dman? 

15 minutes ago, Kungfudru said:

I agree. Would you compare him to a Rafalski type dman? 

No, Rafalski I recall being more cerebral and able to use those hall of fame forwards and D pairings he had in jersey and Detroit.  Stick anyone with Stevens in his last year or Neidermeyer/Lidstrom and you're going to look damned good.

Severson is his own stand alone kind of D man.  He's big, he's mobile and he's got an accurate shot and pass.  he'll make things happen on his own if he has to.

3 hours ago, Kungfudru said:

Pfff I'm glad we picked Mallet instead. Severson was one of the bpa in that second round, but MG decided to pick the rough and tough Mallet instead. There's a lot of Bennington hate on these and HF boards, but in terms of drafting Benning>>>>MG in the grand scheme of things. Just wish we picked up Nylander, and Tkatchuck instead as they were my personal picks in those draft positions but eh Bennings later round picks have been pretty good so far.  

Pfft NJ must be glad they picked Severson over Ghostisbehere, Parayko, Slavin too... I'd argue those 3 are all better than Severson but I guess time will tell. 

Stupid MG... all he did that draft was pick Hutton in the 5th round

MG was picking 26th on the board... for all his years of dominance, he still managed to draft alright even when his team was clearly selling off picks to win cups and winning back to back league championships and drafting near the cellar. Jim has been drafting top 10 3 of his 4 years. 

40 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Larsson's a different but still very good D. He's done wonders for EDM's D core. Arguably Chia's best move so far in fact.

'Much higher ceiling' might be a bit of a reach.

He has more on-ice presence and can generate more offence.   While I agree Larsson was important to Edmonton (and showing players like Nurse how to actually play D), if  you were building a team and could choose one of Larsson or Severson, doubt many would pick Larsson given Severson is already as good (or better IMHO) and has a few years to mature still so that is my comment on ceiling as Larsson one would suppose has likely hit his.

Still, not saying Larsson is bad - get second pairing guy on almost any team in the league.  I would not have given up Hall to get him but I also didn't inherit 10 years of mess and a need to show instant improvement.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He has more on-ice presence and can generate more offence.   While I agree Larsson was important to Edmonton (and showing players like Nurse how to actually play D), if  you were building a team and could choose one of Larsson or Severson, doubt many would pick Larsson given Severson is already as good (or better IMHO) and has a few years to mature still so that is my comment on ceiling as Larsson one would suppose has likely hit his.

Still, not saying Larsson is bad - get second pairing guy on almost any team in the league.  I would not have given up Hall to get him but I also didn't inherit 10 years of mess and a need to show instant improvement.

Larsson isn't a 2nd pair D. He's like their Tanev but younger and already better (and bigger) at that younger age. Granted, less 'dynamic' than Severson.

Severson certainly has more offensive upside though. They'd actually make a damn good pair. 

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Larsson isn't a 2nd pair D. He's like their Tanev but younger and already better (and bigger) at that younger age. Granted, less 'dynamic'.

Severson certainly has more offensive upside though. They'd actually make a damn good pair. 

Don't agree on Larsson.  I think he is a second pairing on a good team - just as Tanev would be.   Edmonton will outgrow him if they are to take the next step into the top 8 or so of the league.    I am not sure they are going to take anyone by surprise this year and may take a step back - we'll see.

14 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Don't agree on Larsson.  I think he is a second pairing on a good team - just as Tanev would be.   Edmonton will outgrow him if they are to take the next step into the top 8 or so of the league.    I am not sure they are going to take anyone by surprise this year and may take a step back - we'll see.

You underrate him IMO.

Archived